UTSA: Why the hatred for UNT?

Harry

I'm not the one that feels like my school is too good to start a rivalry with certain Texas schools, so I don't even see what your point is with this.

Besides UTEP fans are actually receptive to a rivalry with us...same UT system, colors, hand sign and similar demographics. You can't say the same for you and Rice.

Though I'm not one of those opposing an eventual rivalry with UTSA, I do think that with such a new program it will be something to grow into. Plus, San Antonio is freaking awesome so I may be in the minority, but I kinda hope you guys blow up enough that it becomes "The Game" by the time I either move back home or the kids are old enough for us to travel more.

As to the Rice issue...I don't think it's similarities so much as the fact that UNT was pretty much the only team in Texas playing at a decent level at that time to get left out of the SWC, and this is the first chance we've had to be in a conference with one of those teams since it happened. So it's more of an "about damn time we got a chance to play them regularly" thing, especially with the guys who were around during that period. At least that's how it seems to me.

• Upvote 1

You have nothing in common with Rice, that's the point. They didn't care about you when you were left out of SWC and they likely don't care about you now.

But keep thinking you stack up against better institutions/programs it's amusing.

Hey UTSA is a conference mate, therefore a rival. Wait till you actually win a few fb division games before you buy those national championship tickets.

• Upvote 1

I'm not the one that feels like my school is too good to start a rivalry with certain Texas schools, so I don't even see what your point is with this.

Besides UTEP fans are actually receptive to a rivalry with us...same UT system, colors, hand sign and similar demographics. You can't say the same for you and Rice.

Thus far ya'll are on par with Collin County Community College. So chill out. FYI, my buddies who are UTEP grads aren't receptive to anything with you. Stop coming here all butt hurt as well. You have a new program. People are going to bust your balls.

If you want to talk football, cool. If you want to talk about your upcoming national showdown with Alabama. I am sure there is a thread for that on ya'lls board.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1

Thus far ya'll are on par with Collin County Community College. So chill out. FYI, my buddies who are UTEP grads aren't receptive to anything with you. Stop coming here all butt hurt as well. You have a new program. People are going to bust your balls.

Hey! I went to a couple summer schools at Quad C. We knew our place. I don't appreciate your comparison.
  • Upvote 2

Hey! I went to a couple summer schools at Quad C. We knew our place. I don't appreciate your comparison.

I apologize. That was offsides. I must add ya'll have some pretty coeds there. I just met two at Twin Peaks last week who are transferring to UNT this semester.

Edited by UNTexas

Like it or not this will become a big rivalry. 10 years down the road and we have lost a game or two to UTSA, (and sorry, but it will happen) this will become a HUGE rivalry.

Why? Because they are the one team we can't stand to lose to and all the trash talk will help fuel it.

We respect Rice and UTEP and we'll have to work at creating heated rivalries. A loss to one of them will not spark the kind of insanity that will ensue after a loss to UTSA. For a really big rivalry you need that kind of fanatic intensity coming from both sides of the ball.

• Upvote 1

I really don't have a problem with UTSA mainly because I don't really care about them at this point. I do take issue with a couple of their fans coming on here talking trash when they have proved nothing other than having the ability to beat Bacone St and other DIII schools. Earn some respect.

• Upvote 1

Time out.

You guys realize that TCU, Houston, and SMU have been talking to us like this for years and Mean Green fans have responded with bitter words and the "just you wait until we grow up!" mentality.

Now UTSA comes in the picture and UNT fans feel like there is finally a fellow Texas school that is inferior or doesn't belong in the same conference so people make it known.

UTSA fans are undoubtedly going to be upset with UNT fans for the same reasons that many on this board despise the likes of CougarKing and FroggyStyle.

There's nothing wrong or bad about it. I think it will be great for UNT to have a strong opinion against another Texas school that we actually play on a regular basis and UTSA seems to be filling that void much quicker and more naturally than UTEP or Rice so let's roll with it.

But don't be surprised when they talk trash back at UNT.

Just send them some chicken wings and let them cry themselves to sleep.

Here's the difference though. UH and TCU were given royal treatment by being in the SWC--they talked down to us because its always been in their best interest to keep us down. All of those SWC schools, except for Arkansas, Texas, and A&M had a vested interest in keeping us down--plus they had the advantage of knowing that our university's leaders agreed with them.

UTSA, on the other hand, has never even had a day where its been hard for their program. Sorry, but starting as a brand new program in San Antonio, which by sheer location then opens up doors to your university that wouldn't even open for us, all because of our location that we have to share with other college teams and pro teams, is just a tough pill to swallow. I don't blame UTSA for this, I blame UNT for this. But it doesn't take away from the fact that UTSA is like the trust fund kid that did nothing to deserve his riches, who didn't even have to try in school or in his job. Meanwhile, at UNT, we are like the poor kid who managed to get a degree and earn our first job, only to see that job go away for a decade, forcing us to have to find part-time work or work full time at a job that was well beneath our qualification. Only when another trust fund kid decided to leave his job (SMU) did we get a promotion--only to see your pimpled-ass there in the same department, not knowing how to do your job, but expecting to get the same treatment. Guess what? Most people don't treat that lazy ass very respectfully until they prove they deserve it.

And, oh, by the way, we are very much aware that you could very easily get another promotion over us just because of the born advantages that you have over us. And, yes, it will suck greatly if it happens.

Edited by untjim1995

Like it or not this will become a big rivalry. 10 years down the road and we have lost a game or two to UTSA, (and sorry, but it will happen) this will become a HUGE rivalry.

Why? Because they are the one team we can't stand to lose to and all the trash talk will help fuel it.

We respect Rice and UTEP and we'll have to work at creating heated rivalries. A loss to one of them will not spark the kind of insanity that will ensue after a loss to UTSA. For a really big rivalry you need that kind of fanatic intensity coming from both sides of the ball.

I'm fairly certain 100% of the conference teams on UTSA's schedule feels the same way we do. NO ONE wants to be UTSA's first win in C-USA.

You have nothing in common with Rice, that's the point. They didn't care about you when you were left out of SWC and they likely don't care about you now.

But keep thinking you stack up against better institutions/programs it's amusing.

None of this crap matters.

November 23, 2013 will look something like this:

mike_tyson-9961.gif

Then hopefully the 'rivalry' talk will die down.

• Upvote 3

The only reason I care about UTSA is because it is in my home town. Going to games in San Antonio allows me to catch up with my friends and watch the Green get Mean and go all medieval on someone's ass.

I thought I stumbled onto the SMU board for a minute. All the crap they say about us (junior college, etc.), we are now using. It is sad.

I welcome a rivalry with a large Texas public university that we may actually defeat for several years. We aren't exactly a powerhouse in college football, or even in our conference for that matter. It would be nice to have another school that cared about playing us to boost ticket sales.

• Upvote 4

I thought I stumbled onto the SMU board for a minute. All the crap they say about us (junior college, etc.), we are now using. It is sad.

I welcome a rivalry with a large Texas public university that we may actually defeat for several years. We aren't exactly a powerhouse in college football, or even in our conference for that matter. It would be nice to have another school that cared about playing us to boost ticket sales.

We learned it from "Y O U", SMU! :zoro:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Is it? Since when do you have to have something in common to have a rivalry?

Of course the schools don't have to have anything in common to have a rivalry.

Look at the Texas-Texas A&M rivalry. A ridiculously liberal school with a focus on elite academics vs. a highly conservative school with a focus on agriculture and mechanics. What do they have in common? They're in Texas. Sounds like a good rivalry to me.

If anything, having less in common makes for a great rivalry. But maybe that's just me.

-- Franchise

My man. See this is a reasonable fan that I can get along with.

We're a start-up with no real rivals yet. You guys haven't won much and have been stuck in the Belt without a Texas rival. So why the elitist attitude towards UTSA and a possible rivalry? Maybe one doesn't even develop but its still annoying to hear UNT fans say they're too good to have a rivalry with us.

• Upvote 3

My man. See this is a reasonable fan that I can get along with.

We're a start-up with no real rivals yet. You guys haven't won much and have been stuck in the Belt without a Texas rival. So why the elitist attitude towards UTSA and a possible rivalry? Maybe one doesn't even develop but its still annoying to hear UNT fans say they're too good to have a rivalry with us.

I thought this was already explained. Many are pissed that we've spent years in athletics hell, for a number of reasons. We have fought, clawed, and scratched to get where we are, which isn't where we want to be, but it sure as hell isn't where we were. Here come schools like UTSA, who with very little effort, are put on the same "field" as us. It's not elitest, its just not believing that anyone should be handed something so easily. It's actually the opposite of elitest. It isn't anything personal toward YOUR school in particular.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1