Season makers & breakers

NT03

http://www.texasfootball.com/college-news/view/180400

North Texas: October 5 at Tulane

Last year was disappointing for the Mean Green. A 4-8 record a step back from the relative progress of 2011 and the feeling that they let a couple of key conference games get away. But the 2013 season feels like a season of redemption, and they can kick that off (after a brutal non-conference trip to Athens, Georgia to play UGA) by taking on the Green Wave. This isnt the Tulane squad of yesteryear this team looks like it has a pulse but this is still a team that the Mean Green should expect to beat, even on the road. Theyll have a week off to prepare for it, and they could really get off on the right foot in conference play by taking the fight to Tulane.

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

Vs. Tulane is certainly a good pick but to me it comes in two categories. The Deal Maker would be a win over Ohio. If that happens, I believe that we build momentum early and go on to a good season.

The Deal Breaker would be a loss to Tulane. Since Tulane won only two games last season and lost their quarterback (their most decent thread of offense) I would expect them to be at their nadir. They had a very good recruiting class in 2013 but it shouldn't have borne fruit that early. If we lose to Tulane we may not recover.

• Upvote 4

Vs. Tulane is certainly a good pick but to me it comes in two categories. The Deal Maker would be a win over Ohio. If that happens, I believe that we build momentum early and go on to a good season.

The Deal Breaker would be a loss to Tulane. Since Tulane won only two games last season and lost their quarterback (their most decent thread of offense) I would expect them to be at their nadir. They had a very good recruiting class in 2013 but it shouldn't have borne fruit that early. If we lose to Tulane we may not recover.

Agree, but with the caveat that a win vs. Ball State at home (even if we lose @ Ohio) could springboard us to a quality season. I'd put the deal maker as 1. Win @ Ohio 1a. Win vs. Ball State.

Deal breaker #1 - loss to Idaho. Lose that game, and 0-4 is staring this team in the face.

Deal breaker #2 - loss to Tulane. 1-4 or 0-5 could be staring this team in the face.

Deal maker #1 - OOC win against either Ohio (highly unlikely) or Ball St. (Still unlikely, but we have them at home, so possible). Assuming a win against Idaho (cause if we don't beat them, we sure as hell don't beat Ohio or Ball St.), that leaves us 2-2 in OOC and only a .500 conference record away from bowl eligibility.

Do not assume we beat Idaho. That is by far the biggest game of the season until/unless UNT is ahead when the 4th qtr clock hits 00:00.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If we lose to Idaho,the season is over before it begins.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm not sure I understand why people are freaking out over Idaho. This team performs quite well at home.

We usually beat who we should beat at home.

Because we absolutely CANNOT afford to lose that game, for numerous reasons that go beyond even this football season.

Because we had a difficult time at home against Texas Southern last year before breaking it open at the end.

Because we have numerous question marks, from D-line to QB to WR.

Because (for me, anyway) it seems like anything that can go wrong with this program does go wrong.

Every time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sigh. Ya try to be upbeat about the upcoming season, then a few posters over here seem to take that energy away with their Mean Green will or could be a train wreck posts. Guess the best thing to avoid depressing attitudes is to stay away. :thumbsd:

We will go 12-0 and win the national title!!!!11!!!1!!

Better?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Because we absolutely CANNOT afford to lose that game, for numerous reasons that go beyond even this football season.

Because we had a difficult time at home against Texas Southern last year before breaking it open at the end.

Because we have numerous question marks, from D-line to QB to WR.

Because (for me, anyway) it seems like anything that can go wrong with this program does go wrong.

Every time.

Yes.

Deal Breaker for me is...can't even fathom it - can't! We must beat Idaho good and beat down UTSA like a drum.

Those must happen!

Icing = win or excellent showing in Athens - Georgia or Ohio.

Need = win over Rice on Halloween night with bright lights upon Apogee.

Want = nice win over La Tech our new rival for years to come - let's get the upperhand Mean Green Nation!!!!!

Goal = bowling anywhere - Dubai anyone?

GMG

I'm definitely pumped about the Tulane game and wish I could be there. Great school, too bad we won't be conference mates for long, but it's definitely one of the pivotal points in our upcoming season.

The only thing that could erase a loss to Idaho would be a win on the road against Georgia OR winning enough games in C-USA to get to a bowl...I could actually live with a loss to Idaho if Mac was able to get us to six + wins...I think... of course we might have to shut the board down for a couple of days!

I can't see us losing to Idaho. They are in complete rebuild mode. When you get to looking at the schedule the games that stick out as potential turning points are the Tulane game. Its the first conference game and UNT will want to start off on a good note. Either the Ball St or Ohio game those are going to be tough games for UNT to win, but are essential to having a winning record. If UNT doesnt beat either Ohio or Ball St then I would say we are looking at a 3 or 4 win season.

• Upvote 1