UNT's Tony Mitchell; The Next Paul George?

Harry

Tony Mitchell is a physical specimen, a man whose appearance inspires awe. He's built like a boulder, even on top of his nearly 7-foot-3 wingspan. He's one of the most athletic players with his size, too. He registered a 38-inch max vertical at the Combine and tested well in the speed drills also. Plus he did

at the North Texas dunk contest.

Looking for an athletic, long wing with mixed results in college but an impeccable physical profile and evidence of skill? Look at North Texas, says Jonathan Tjarks.

Mitchell thrives on the glass, where he grabbed 29.1 percent of defensive rebounds in his freshman season, though that number dropped to 20.6 percent in his sophomore season. Most of his points come off of opportunities at the rim that he creates with his great combination of size and athleticism. Defensively, he loves looking for shots to block and has all the potential in the world to become a defensive player in the NBA.

But the fundamentals aren't there yet. And neither is the consistent effort needed to be a defensive player in the NBA. I got a chance to watch him live a couple of times in his collegiate career and it was always disappointing to see how he could have dominated the Sun Belt but didn't. He was obviously the most talented, most physically dominant player in the conference but never asserted himself with the type of effort that one would like to see.

It is concerning for scouts how badly Mitchell's numbers dropped off in his sophomore season. He dropped in points, rebounds, blocks, and assists while becoming drastically less efficient. The Mean Green as a whole disappointed this past season by finishing 12-20 overall after making the conference championship in the previous year. The program went through a coaching change and that could be one of the reasons for Mitchell's head-scratching decline in his sophomore season.

After his freshman year, he was touted as a lottery pick with top-10 potential and that potential is still there. But with how bad his sophomore season ended, he could theoretically drop to the Magic at No. 51, though that'd probably be a far decline. Mitchell needs coaching. He needs motivation. If a coach could tap into that potential, he could be one of the gems in the draft.

Read more: http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2013/5/28/4368256/prospect-profiles-tony-mitchell-andre-roberson-and-other-big-men

Someone is going to get a steal with Mitchell.

Once he has a legitimate NBA coaching staff, wait and see how much of a steal he becomes.

And why is this writer ripping off my comparisons?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am going to go out on a limb here and quit drinking the green kool-aide. I think Tony is going to underperform in the NBA and does not warrant a top 20 draft pick. I can not think of what more motivation a player could possibly need than to have the NBA carrot in front of him all season long. Combine that with being a supposed basketball superman playing in a poor basketball conference. The man should have dominated no matter his coach. I am far from being a Benford apologist but he was the head of an impressive staff of coaches. I don't think we can put TM's failings solely in Benfords lap. Not with his skill set.

Dont take this to mean I think poorly of TM. He has represented the University with class. I hope that at some point he finds the fire he needs to compete at a high level.

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

News alert: this past season and all the disappointment overhype etc will DISPPEAR after Tony is selected as a high draft choice and most likely the highest drafted player from North Texas ever. The positive publicity we will receive will be fantastic; think about this -- every time Tony plays in a game North Texas will be listed as HIS school. He has been nothing but class in regards to our Alma Mater. I am grateful for this and I wish him nothing but the best! GMG!

Just praying that every time they talk about him on TV during an NBA game that they do not ever mention Missouri. We are the ones who gave him a chance.

I'm constantly perplexed by this "gave him a chance" argument. Tony Mitchell wasn't cast aside by Missouri and left to wander the streets in search of some school, any school, that would take him in. He wasn't a behavioral risk. He wasn't an academic risk. It is asinine to assume that we were his only harbor in the storm when no other school would touch a FIVE STAR player.

One day we will stop spinning the Mitchell situation to help overcome the massive failure to utilize him.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 2

I'm constantly perplexed by this "gave him a chance" argument. Tony Mitchell wasn't cast aside by Missouri and left to wander the streets in search of some school, any school, that would take him in. He wasn't a behavioral risk. He wasn't an academic risk. It is asinine to assume that we were his only harbor in the storm when no other school would touch a FIVE STAR player.

One day we will stop spinning the Mitchell situation to help overcome the massive failure to utilize him.

Not any school, just as at Mizzou his status with the NCAA would have prevented him from playing at most major conference schools. Of course we were not his only option and Johnny did quite well to get him.

Tony played the biggest part, having to go an entire year paying his own way and making what were reported as very good (or great) grades. Why people (not you emmit) question his work ethic after that is still surprising.

• Upvote 2

Well he could not get into any big 12 school which would have brought him closer to home... And it is true some other schools might have been hesitant to take a chance on him. I suppose he could have landed in the big east... But we were the right fit when the options were limited.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Here's a nugget from Chad Ford of ESPN, encouraging news.

"May 28 Update: After a disappointing sophomore season, Mitchell made some serious progress at the combine, showing off better than expected measurements alongside some terrific athleticism. More importantly, he had candid interviews with teams that suddenly made GMs much more comfortable in taking him. Was he just in the wrong situation at North Texas? If teams believe that, he's going to go a lot higher based on his talent."

Article from sbnation below

http://www.blazersedge.com/2013/5/29/4378372/tjarks-blazers-should-take-north-texas-f-tony-mitchell-in-2013-nba

• Upvote 1

I am going to go out on a limb here and quit drinking the green kool-aide. I think Tony is going to underperform in the NBA and does not warrant a top 20 draft pick. I can not think of what more motivation a player could possibly need than to have the NBA carrot in front of him all season long. Combine that with being a supposed basketball superman playing in a poor basketball conference. The man should have dominated no matter his coach. I am far from being a Benford apologist but he was the head of an impressive staff of coaches. I don't think we can put TM's failings solely in Benfords lap. Not with his skill set.

Dont take this to mean I think poorly of TM. He has represented the University with class. I hope that at some point he finds the fire he needs to compete at a high level.

No player can dominate in college basketball when he is double and triple teamed every time he touches the ball. Throw in a terrible head coach and Clark Kent himself would struggle mightily in the situation.

• Upvote 1

Don't you understand Tony should have been happy to play here, no matter how terrible the head coach is?

Come on, man.

• Upvote 1

Also need to remember that UNT was in his top 3 (along with Marquette) before he signed with Mizzou in the first place.

• Upvote 1

Also need to remember that UNT was in his top 3 (along with Marquette) before he signed with Mizzou in the first place.

Isn't it damn sad that one year of Coach Benny has already made people forget that good players used to want to come here?

• Upvote 1

Isn't it damn sad that one year of Coach Benny has already made people forget that good players used to want to come here?

Come on, man. How can we expect to beat out Northern Kentucky for recruits?

I hope the Benford apologists are at least paying attention to recruiting.

Actually, I hope our big money donors, who were snowed by Benford and the AD into believing this disaster was not Benford's doing, are paying attention.

• Upvote 1