Jameill Showers

golfingomez

Can a baseball, basketball, men’s ice hockey or Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) football student-athlete transfer and compete at a new school as a grad student?

Yes. Student-athletes in these sports that have graduated undergrad can transfer to a graduate school at another campus and play right away without submitting a waiver provided:

• The student-athlete has one year of eligibility remaining

• The student-athlete has not previously transferred schools

• The original school releases the student-athlete from his or her scholarship

*From NCAA.org FAQ

Showers is set to graduate in May, I believe, a la Garrett Gilbert from Texas to SMU.

I also thought the new school had to offer a master's degree program that the old school didn't. I think we have several master's degrees at North Texas that no other university can claim...

...would take this kid in a heartbeat. Didn't he almost beat out the A&M QB, Johnny Manziel, this past spring?

found it:

A: Are there different rules for graduate students?

Student-athletes who have graduated are subject to the same release requirements as undergraduates and must have at least one year of eligibility remaining. To be eligible for the one-time transfer exception, football, basketball, baseball and men’s ice hockey student athletes must have been denied a scholarship renewal at their original school. If the student-athlete wishes to pursue a degree program not offered at the original institution, he or she is eligible for a waiver to compete immediately at the new school.

That may be, but is any QB injury-proof? Why would you pass up a QB that would represent little, (if any), change in ability on the field should Bergland have an unfortunate run-in with a linebacker or safety. That's just irresponsible.

I don't think we would have a shot a Showers without pretty much promising he would get the starting job. . . . The very reason he left A&M was because he didn't want to be a backup.

I imagine he'll end up starting next year at some BCS AQ school or another.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone realize that NT is at the limit for football scholarships? Sure some may come open, but the days of NT signing players at will and giving a lot of walk ons ships may be over for a while.

Yes which makes it all the more imperative that the ones on scholarship are doing all they can to deserve it. This is part of the culture that McCarney is trying to change. Dickey honored scholarships regardless of whether they met expectations which was admirable but damaging to the program. Dodge inherited scholarship restrictions from Dickey and even he had tremendous losses to grades and other various reasons.

He'll have to sit out this year.

This article says he is supposed to graduate from A&M in June and will be immediately eligible. He was a redshirt soph starting the 2012 season, so he must have come in with some AP credits, or just really busted his butt taking class, or both. WOW!

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-aggies/20130226-report-former-texas-am-qb-jameill-showers-transfers-to-utep.ece

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This article says he is supposed to graduate from A&M in June and will be immediately eligible. He was a redshirt soph starting the 2012 season, so he must have come in with some AP credits, or just really busted his butt taking class, or both. WOW!

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-aggies/20130226-report-former-texas-am-qb-jameill-showers-transfers-to-utep.ece

Thanks for the correction. That isn't easy to graduate in 3 years, especially as a Big XII/SEC football player.

for the previous two posters...we covered this a month ago. why is it surprising now?

Can a baseball, basketball, men’s ice hockey or Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) football student-athlete transfer and compete at a new school as a grad student?

Yes. Student-athletes in these sports that have graduated undergrad can transfer to a graduate school at another campus and play right away without submitting a waiver provided:

• The student-athlete has one year of eligibility remaining

• The student-athlete has not previously transferred schools

• The original school releases the student-athlete from his or her scholarship

*From NCAA.org FAQ

Showers is set to graduate in May, I believe, a la Garrett Gilbert from Texas to SMU.

I also thought the new school had to offer a master's degree program that the old school didn't. I think we have several master's degrees at North Texas that no other university can claim...