If Tulsa Leaves who replaces them?

Harry

There are only two reasons I would consider Georgia State.

1. Market

2. They are an old Sun Belt buddy of UAB, ODU, and Charlotte (back when the Belt was good).

As a UAB fan, I want a Western team so we can stay in the East. Louisiana, A-State, NMSU, or Texas State would be just fine with me. NMSU does have a much better basketball history and doesn't suck at baseball.

No one has looked at $$$ in this discussion. It seems simple to me you look at the money potential coming to UNT.

Central Texas has a lot of well established alumni that have not been sought out to give or even miminal support by our school.It was our market that would be the second only to the dfw & Houston area in our direction. Have you ever seen a UNT presence in these areas? So nothing happened to get "NEW BLOOD" into our program for a dozen years now. Bringing in TX St & utsa would give us a athletic presence into an area of Central Texas where we have ex's & students & their families. I'm only wondering if the school will follow? But, reading the above, do we really need any more fans or money?

• Upvote 1

No one has looked at $$$ in this discussion. It seems simple to me you look at the money potential coming to UNT.

Central Texas has a lot of well established alumni that have not been sought out to give or even miminal support by our school.It was our market that would be the second only to the dfw & Houston area in our direction. Have you ever seen a UNT presence in these areas? So nothing happened to get "NEW BLOOD" into our program for a dozen years now. Bringing in TX St & utsa would give us a athletic presence into an area of Central Texas where we have ex's & students & their families. I'm only wondering if the school will follow? But, reading the above, do we really need any more fans or money?

Do you have any estimate of the number of alumni UNT has in the Central Texas area? It would be interesting to know.

Ah yes. Thank you sir.

Still pisses me off as we had the momentum till that point. Our defense was kicking some ass. A win there would have been huge for our program, especially it being only our third year back from the 1-AA abyss.

Rick

We had that game until that point. In the locker room at halftime some Dallas Cowboys players were in the locker room getting everyone amped up. The momentum was on our side completely until that fumble.

People also forget we beat Texas Tech that season too. The program was getting better at that point. I was a little surprised they fired Coach Simon that year. Dickey was really good I thought. The wheels came off with the arrival of Dodge. I think we are about to get good with Mac and the money being pumped into the program. I was just up at Apogee showing my friend the stadium. He hadn't been to a game since Fouts. He and I both agreed it is going to really help recruiting. I can't wait for next season.

Do you have any estimate of the number of alumni UNT has in the Central Texas area? It would be interesting to know.

Doesn't matter. The university has not tried to be relivant to any of us. Our qb from the Corkey Nelson time, Rick Shaw, has become a die-hard aggie fan. He told me the same thing that" if they waNTed us why didn't they come & be a part of our life".

We used to have bb games with utsa down here. They would give us the upper section a couple of hours prior to the game for a get together. There were over 50+ some time that showed up early! Others came during the game. You know how good our promotions are.

I don't know how I feel about them as a conference mate, but I've been impressed with how quickly people have grown accustomed to the name "Texas State." Everybody knows who/where Texas State is and I've heard no one still referring to them as STSU. 2 decades later there are still those that call us NTSU.

We should have never changed our name. The change was the results of "UT envy". We even changed our newspaper from the "Chat" to "North Texas Daily". Lots of imagination there. "State" seems to work fine in places like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, Oklahoma,Louisiana. Our administration at that time was a bunch of carpetbaggers. I wish I could still buy NTSU stuff. And why didn't we change our radio station call letters? UNT is just one of those names that don't fit. I speak of us as just "North Texas".

• Upvote 2

We should have never changed our name. The change was the results of "UT envy". We even changed our newspaper from the "Chat" to "North Texas Daily". Lots of imagination there. "State" seems to work fine in places like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, Oklahoma,Louisiana. Our administration at that time was a bunch of carpetbaggers. I wish I could still buy NTSU stuff. And why didn't we change our radio station call letters? UNT is just one of those names that don't fit. I speak of us as just "North Texas".

I am just grateful that at least for now we don't have a Central campus.

You need to get a copy of "The Story of North Texas". NTSU was a compromise name. When we originally filed the bill for our name change from NTSC to reflect our new status as a University, we wanted UNT. More than one representative and/or senator objected to the name and threatened to filibuster the bill as written. And just for good measure they made numerous disparaging remarks about our institution of higher learning....in the official record. The bill sponsor worked out a compromise name NTSU. And the rest is history.

AND as to "The Campus Chat vs The NT Daily. Surely you can see that NT Daily sound like a legitimate newspaper vs "The Chat" sounding like a gossip rag.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

You need to get a copy of "The Story of North Texas". NTSU was a compromise name. When we originally filed the bill for our name change from NTSC to reflect our new status as a University, we wanted UNT. More than one representative and/or senator objected to the name and threatened to filibuster the bill as written. And just for good measure they made numerous disparaging remarks about our institution of higher learning....in the official record. The bill sponsor worked out a compromise name NTSU. And the rest is history.

AND as to "The Campus Chat vs The NT Daily. Surely you can see that NT Daily sound like a legitimate newspaper vs "The Chat" sounding like a gossip rag.

I can see that NT Daily is more generic. The Chat had more "all-American" awards than I can recall; and we just threw it away. How about the Battalion at TAMU. They haven't changed it to seem like a legimate newspaper, but they know something about tradition. That was my point; we can't get any kind of tradition with constantly changing our name and throwing away what few traditions we do have. We are becoming "Big Generic University in Denton"; at least that is what is seems from the current admin. NTSTC, NTSC, NTSU had some continuity. Since 1901 we were North Texas State something. There were some wise guys at the first basketball game after the change that would yell "C" before the cheerleaders chant of "UNT" and that was what I thought of the name change too. We changed to UNT and the Daily (The Daily Texan?) because we wanted to be like UT. I am proud that I am an NTSU grad (now known as the University of North Texas) and that is our official title for every graduate before 1988. Like John Belushi said on SNL "aaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!"

I also just say North Texas. Most do say UNT.
  • Upvote 1

Have to disagree with one point. Add North before Ohio, Florida, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, etc... and what do you end up with?

• Upvote 2

I originally answered this as who I thought would get added, and voted for WKU. However, now that Tulsa seems to be showing signs of having made their mind up, I am switching my vote to who I would like to see added. For now, that is TxSt for the following reasons:

1) If this is about markets and potential, they are credited with belonging to the Austin/Round Rock/San Marcos MSA, which is larger than the Tulsa MSA, and TxSt could be competitive if they are in CUSA.

2) If we lose a western team, I want them replaced with a western team.

3) It is 4 hours to Tulsa, it is 4 hours to San Marcos.

4) With 5 Texas teams, we would have 4 TX games every year no matter what. Potential of central TX every year, Houston/El Paso every other year. Not bad.

5) Having 5 teams allows CUSA to have presence in the top 5 Texas markets. Just have to figure out a way to penetrate them.

6) Establishes CUSA as having the largest presence in the state of TX with 126,000 students enrolled at member schools, compared to 100k for Big 12, and 53k for nBE. I think this point is a big deal in the long run.

7) I believe they die on the vine if left in SBC. While tempting, there are other programs I would wish that on before them.

A close second is ULL. If USM left, I would add them next. ArkSt could possibly be next instead of ULL, but I gave ULL the edge due to the fact we recruit south LA and proximity to New Orleans/Houston.

If there are losses in the east, then someone like WKU or GaSt could be considered, but if the losses are in the west then add from the west. If we ended up with 5 teams in TX and a team in north LA and one in south LA in the west division, we could do a lot worse IMO. We would have a ton of freedom with our OOC scheduling.

I originally answered this as who I thought would get added, and voted for WKU. However, now that Tulsa seems to be showing signs of having made their mind up, I am switching my vote to who I would like to see added. For now, that is TxSt for the following reasons:

1) If this is about markets and potential, they are credited with belonging to the Austin/Round Rock/San Marcos MSA, which is larger than the Tulsa MSA, and TxSt could be competitive if they are in CUSA.

2) If we lose a western team, I want them replaced with a western team.

3) It is 4 hours to Tulsa, it is 4 hours to San Marcos.

4) With 5 Texas teams, we would have 4 TX games every year no matter what. Potential of central TX every year, Houston/El Paso every other year. Not bad.

5) Having 5 teams allows CUSA to have presence in the top 5 Texas markets. Just have to figure out a way to penetrate them.

6) Establishes CUSA as having the largest presence in the state of TX with 126,000 students enrolled at member schools, compared to 100k for Big 12, and 53k for nBE. I think this point is a big deal in the long run.

7) I believe they die on the vine if left in SBC. While tempting, there are other programs I would wish that on before them.

A close second is ULL. If USM left, I would add them next. ArkSt could possibly be next instead of ULL, but I gave ULL the edge due to the fact we recruit south LA and proximity to New Orleans/Houston.

If there are losses in the east, then someone like WKU or GaSt could be considered, but if the losses are in the west then add from the west. If we ended up with 5 teams in TX and a team in north LA and one in south LA in the west division, we could do a lot worse IMO. We would have a ton of freedom with our OOC scheduling.

If Tulsa leaves and WKU is added, then that could possibly mean that USM would slide over to CUSA-West. Is that so bad?

If Tulsa leaves and WKU is added, then that could possibly mean that USM would slide over to CUSA-West. Is that so bad?

I doubt we play with 6 in the west and 8 in the east when Charlotte enters. We could move UAB over as well at that point, but it starts getting a little too far east and spread out for my preference (from a western division standpoint).

Edited by CurveItAround

We gonna play with 6 in the west and 8 in the east when Charlotte enters? Move UAB over as well at that point? Starts getting a little too far east and spread out for my preference (from a western division standpoint).

Not necessarily. But the landscape may be different by then. Who knows what the bigeast will be like and will Houston/SMU be looking to come back? TXSt proves to be an instant SBC contender and becomes a clear choice? ARSt/ULL continue to play well? UTEP leaves for the MWC? NMSU puts on a full-court press & comes on board? Lots of things can happen in that span.

Same could be said for WKU. As recently as 2 years ago, they were winning 2 or fewer games per year and averaging less than 15K per game. Not exactly a proven commodity in football. Basketball has been better and are definitely on par, or better, with the league. I just think they have limited upside based on their geography. TxSt has twice the students, is located within 4 hours, and we have an established history with them.

IF TULSA LEAVES and the choice is between the two, I definitely pick TxSt over WKU because I think it is better for UNT. For 2014, I agree that you could just move over USM and play with 12 (ODU playing a confence schedule actually helps buy some time). I would not make sense at the current time to add anyone to start play sooner than 2015 if Tulsa takes off.

When we originally filed the bill for our name change from NTSC to reflect our new status as a University, we wanted UNT. More than one representative and/or senator objected to the name and threatened to filibuster the bill as written. And just for good measure they made numerous disparaging remarks about our institution of higher learning....in the official record. The bill sponsor worked out a compromise name NTSU. And the rest is history.

God, politicians quibble about the most inane crap imaginable. It shouldn't matter to state politicians what a collge/university calls itself. It should matter to state politicians that said college/university is providing an accredited education worthy of state funding.

God, politicians quibble about the most inane crap imaginable. It shouldn't matter to state politicians what a collge/university calls itself. It should matter to state politicians that said college/university is providing an accredited education worthy of state funding.

You're forgetting one thing: politicians are stupid.