Can MBB turn it around?

GrandGreen

On the eve of NT best oc home game, the question is can NT begin to turn this season around. Without much reason, I think. although the odds are long, it is possible. Unfortunately, NT could play much better than against SEL and still get beat by 30 plus.

The next three games on paper are all almost sure loses based on NT play so far this season. I am sure the coaches and players are tired of losing and all they have to do is look in the stands and see how fall this team has fallen in the eyes of NT fans.

I do believe the talent is there to not only win but dominate the Belt. The problem it appears is not even the players believe in the team anymore. It is not too late, to make this season a success. The problems relate to confidence and effort IMO, not talent. I saw as bad a team performance against SEL as I have seen since the lame duck Trilli teams that really were talent poor. I also saw at least hopeful signs against St. Louis on the road. Whether or not Benford can formulate and execute an effective game plan remains a question, but I have hopes there too.

It is time to regroup, and beat a good team. I would not bet on it happening but I do foresee a much better effort and at least an entertaining game.

... since the lame duck Trilli teams that really were talent poor.

You're kidding, right? After he was fired, Trilli's talent transferred to the Big 12 where the PG led the conference in scoring and 2 others made it to the final 4 as meaningful players at UT and OSU. Trilli couldn't coach, but he definitely could recruit.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 2

Can the team turn it around? ABSOLUTELY! The question remains...will they? This is on the players...they have the talent, they have the skills, they have done it before.....decide to play, play like a team instead of a bunch of individuals, do what they are coached to do, and...yes, sir....it can be done. Play like they have been playing lately, and the chances are slim.

The Lehigh game will tell us all a lot about the heart and soul of this team. I'll be there to support the Mean Green. Hope you will be as well.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

Can the team turn it around? ABSOLUTELY! The question remains...will they? This is on the players...they have the talent, they have the skills, they have done it before.....decide to play, play like a team instead of a bunch of individuals, do what they are coached to do, and...yes, sir....it can be done. Play like they have been playing lately, and the chances are slim.

The Lehigh game will tell us all a lot about the heart and soul of this team. I'll be there to support the Mean Green. Hope you will be as well.

If you said "ignore the coach" you would have received some +1's.

• Upvote 3

If you said "ignore the coach" you would have received some +1's.

Thanks for at, but I just call 'em like I see 'em. For me, while Benford has shown us a few rookie mistakes....the play of this team is all on the players.....and you know the ones I am talking about...not all of e as we can all see who plays when they get on the court and who doesn't. Good thing I am not HC as there would be an entirely different starting lineup hitting e floor, and some of Hesse guys might not be "invited" back next season...unless, of course, they decided to actually play and do as they are coached to do.

Again...my opinion. Until I see otherwise, I am sticking with it.....I buy my tickets, I get my opinion just as everyone else gets their opinion of what's going on here.....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Benford was a point guard at the college level and a legit assistant coach at a big east power house. Where do people come off accusing him of knowing nothing about basketball? He came here to win an that is exactly what he wants to do. He intended on setting in place a system that would take UNT to the next level. Give him time to accomplish this. The season is far from over.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Benford was a point guard at the college level and a legit assistant coach at a big east power house. Where do people come off accusing him of knowing nothing about basketball? He came here to win an that is exactly what he wants to do. He intended on setting in place a system that would take UNT to the next level. Give him time to accomplish this. The season is far from over.

I am still hopeful because I am a fan and am not going anywhere but this isn't 82 regular season games like the NBA. Over a third of the season has passed and they look awful. If they're going to improve they better start tomorrow night.

I don't think any one is accusing him of not knowing basketball, but rather not being able to teach/coach basketball.

• Upvote 6

I am still hopeful because I am a fan and am not going anywhere but this isn't 82 regular season games like the NBA. Over a third of the season has passed and they look awful. If they're going to improve they better start tomorrow night.

I understand this. Sometimes it is just about finding the right fit of guys. Players that will play unselfishly and play as a team.

Also they need to be less timid. Though some may argue that they are timid because Benford will bench them that is not the case. They have just lost confidence and are trying to get it back.

I understand this. Sometimes it is just about finding the right fit of guys. Players that will play unselfishly and play as a team.

Also they need to be less timid. Though some may argue that they are timid because Benford will bench them that is not the case. They have just lost confidence and are trying to get it back.

What would cause a team that made it to the conference tournament finals last year, without two of its best player to lose confidence?

A good system? Good coaching?

What would cause a team that made it to the conference tournament finals last year, without two of its best player to lose confidence?

A good system? Good coaching?

Is there really a correct answer for this? That is like asking what is the meaning of life. Too many possible answers/outcomes. How can people believe it is so simple as to blame it on one man.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Is there really a correct answer for this? That is like asking what is the meaning of life. Too many possible answers/outcomes. How can people believe it is so simple as to blame it on one man.

Agreed. But, these same players did not play this poorly until this one man arrived. As in the NBA it is easier to replace the coach than the team. Speaking of team, what good high school recruit would want to join this team. I am really affraid we are going to lose our commits because of our under achieving this season.

• Upvote 1

Agreed. But, these same players did not play this poorly until this one man arrived. As in the NBA it is easier to replace the coach than the team. Speaking of team, what good high school recruit would want to join this team. I am really affraid we are going to lose our commits because of our under achieving this season.

True but you do not have to pay college players. They are not locked into a contract.

If this team doesn't turn it around and soon, I think some folks here might be a bit surprised at the make-up of the team for next season...just sayin....and, that new make-up will not include a new HC. Just speculating, but it seems pretty obvious to me.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You're kidding, right? After he was fired, Trilli's talent transferred to the Big 12 where the PG led the conference in scoring and 2 others made it to the final 4 as meaningful players at UT and OSU. Trilli couldn't coach, but he definitely could recruit.

Not kidding at all. The two you cited were long gone in Trilli's last year. They did not leave after Trilli was fired, they left before and I have no idea who the pg is that you are talking about. Miller was never more than a bit player at OSU, Deginald Erkin was basically a super number 6 on a good UT team.

• Upvote 1

If this team doesn't turn it around and soon, I think some folks here might be a bit surprised at the make-up of the team for next season...just sayin....and, that new make-up will not include a new HC. Just speculating, but it seems pretty obvious to me.

These kids didn't magically forget to do the things that broight them acclaim and that they were doing for THIS school just LAST year. That's a far far bigger reach than conceding that the only variable that has changed, an unproven head coach, is the culprit.

Look, I get it. Condemning Benford is indirectly condemning the man that chose him. And, for whatever reason, you can't stomach that.

• Upvote 4

If this team doesn't turn it around and soon, I think some folks here might be a bit surprised at the make-up of the team for next season ...just sayin....and, that new make-up will not include a new HC. Just speculating, but it seems pretty obvious to me.

I fear you are exactly right! ...not for the reason you are insinuating though (Benford will kick some of the players off the team). Rather, some of these talented guys will leave on their own volition.

I fear you are exactly right! ...not for the reason you are insinuating though (Benford will kick some of the players off the team). Rather, some of these talented guys will leave on their own volition.

I've been thinking the exact same thing. For the past couple weeks, I keep bracing myself to read that players (X,Y,Z) have left the team. If that doesn't happen during the season, then it seems quite probable at the end of the academic year. The looks on their faces during games are just exhibiting such a level of frustration that I haven't seen around here since the Dodge era.

Of course...a signature non-conference win in front of your home crowd would be a great way to erase such concerns!

We have no team leader,no one who plays with passion,and no one who can hit outside shots. Therefore our competition packs it in on Tony, who gets nearly as many fouls as points. We are a very poor team,with more smoke than fire. At this point I doubt a 500 season,certainly not a division winner let alone the Sun Bely tourny. Color us "way overated. "

Thanks for at, but I just call 'em like I see 'em. For me, while Benford has shown us a few rookie mistakes....the play of this team is all on the players.....and you know the ones I am talking about...not all of e as we can all see who plays when they get on the court and who doesn't. Good thing I am not HC as there would be an entirely different starting lineup hitting e floor, and some of Hesse guys might not be "invited" back next season...unless, of course, they decided to actually play and do as they are coached to do.

Again...my opinion. Until I see otherwise, I am sticking with it.....I buy my tickets, I get my opinion just as everyone else gets their opinion of what's going on here.....

That is the $64,000 question. What are they coached to do?