Can MBB turn it around?

GrandGreen

We have no team leader,no one who plays with passion,and no one who can hit outside shots. Therefore our competition packs it in on Tony, who gets nearly as many fouls as points. We are a very poor team,with more smoke than fire. At this point I doubt a 500 season,certainly not a division winner let alone the Sun Bely tourny. Color us "way overated. "

I definitely see a team leader on the floor for every game. His name: Roger Franklin.

As for the outside shooters, we have Overlander, Holmen, Niko, Mitchell, and Jordan can hit the 3 (when he has a good look). Now, why aren't the shots falling? I dunno.

I think a big problem with the team in watching the play on the floor is that our guys cannot penetrate the lane when in a half-court game.

In transition: it's Jones all day, and if Jordan is out in front of him, it's going to be explosive. If Mitchell is anywhere in the picture, it's going to be explosive. But our transition offense is almost non-existent this year except against the vastly inferior teams.

The million-dollar question: Why can't they penetrate and make plays in the paint in a half-court set?

Are they being coached how to do this in Benford's system and not executing?

Are they not being coached how to do this effectively in Benford's system?

I'm no basketball coach, but it seems like if we have a PG as effective as Jones, and a big as incredible as Mitchell, we can employ high pick-&-rolls/pops to be very potent... right? I don't see a whole lot of that.

• Upvote 3

These kids didn't magically forget to do the things that broight them acclaim and that they were doing for THIS school just LAST year. That's a far far bigger reach than conceding that the only variable that has changed, an unproven head coach, is the culprit.

Look, I get it. Condemning Benford is indirectly condemning the man that chose him. And, for whatever reason, you can't stomach that.

Well, no you absolutely DO NOT get it...but, feel free to join in with the reast of the "usual suspects" who think they have a clue about what I think, why I think that way or why I do what I do.

Never indicated they "forgot" anything.....tough for young egos to understand the difference between "no system" and playing a college system. Especially when some of those young egos think it is "all about them"...and I'll bet you donuts to dollars you are wrong in which players you think are being referred to here...like you are in why you think I hold the opinin I do about this team right now. But, carry on......no harm no foul.

I definitely see a team leader on the floor for every game. His name: Roger Franklin.

As for the outside shooters, we have Overlander, Holmen, Niko, Mitchell, and Jordan can hit the 3 (when he has a good look). Now, why aren't the shots falling? I dunno.

Agree with you about Franklin. If a few others would work as hard as he does and play with the emotion that he does, we would be seeing an entirely different season unfolding in front of our eyes. Also think there are a couple of others, Overlander being one, who bust their rears every time they get on the court. A little more of that from a copuple of the others and this team not only beats Lehigh but goes on a big time run.

Will it happen? Let's see what having a few NBA scouts and GM's in the house will do for the levl of play this evening....should be an interesting test for this team. Keeping all fingers and toes crossed here.....Big night for the Mean Green. Looking firward to seeing a breakout game from the "good guys"!

Edited by Harry
  • Upvote 2

I fear you are exactly right! ...not for the reason you are insinuating though (Benford will kick some of the players off the team). Rather, some of these talented guys will leave on their own volition.

You could be right as well...whether that would be a good thing or a bad thing remains to be seen as we watch this thing unfold over the course of the season and hopefully...the post season! hey...staying positive...staying positive!

The only reason Benford kicks anyone off the team is to make room for a better recruit ala Norris. The odds of that are small because unless he turns this team around, there are not going to be any better recruits.

As far as players leaving, that could easily happen again if this team doesn't turn it around. There are plenty of programs that would like to have Jones or Jordan Williams.

If this season ends as it started, the whole thing could collaspe around Benford.

As far as effort from the team, I don't see that as being close to the problem that lack of focus and confusion on both ends of the court are. This team has lots of high effort guys: Franklin, Alzee, Hardwick and most of the time Jones. Frankly, Mitchell is the only one that seems to sometimes have effort issues. Jordan Williams is a high energy player but his problem is making bad decisions. Holmen runs hot and cold, just as he always has. Patton is a mystery, I see someone who could really help this team, but he spends his time mostly on the bench with couple of minutes of play here and there.

I think people question the effort on this team for two reasons, not closing off three point shooters and poor rebounding. Rebouding is effort based but outside of Mitchell; NT just does not have a good rebounder in the paint. Franklin is short, and Holmen as always rather wonder around outside. Coleman could be an answer but he like Patton is seldom in for more than a few minutes at a time. Not closing out on three point shooting seems to a technique problem more than effort. They just get out of position way too often.

• Upvote 1

Benford was a point guard at the college level and a legit assistant coach at a big east power house. Where do people come off accusing him of knowing nothing about basketball? He came here to win an that is exactly what he wants to do. He intended on setting in place a system that would take UNT to the next level. Give him time to accomplish this. The season is far from over.

And what do you think his system is ? "Looking clueless."

I have been blown away at how poorly coached we have looked and definitely couldnt tell you what kind of system this is. I hope we all end up saying you were right and we were wrong but the evidence so far doesnt look too good in your favor.

• Upvote 2

And what do you think his system is ? "Looking clueless."

I have been blown away at how poorly coached we have looked and definitely couldnt tell you what kind of system this is. I hope we all end up saying you were right and we were wrong but the evidence so far doesnt look too good in your favor.

+1

Benford was a point guard at the college level and a legit assistant coach at a big east power house. Where do people come off accusing him of knowing nothing about basketball? He came here to win an that is exactly what he wants to do. He intended on setting in place a system that would take UNT to the next level. Give him time to accomplish this. The season is far from over.

19 games left in the season...and not looking very good. I will give you this...no one can get where Benford is and was without knowing about basketball.

We just can't shoot to save our lives and we don't defend the three -- it's a disasterous combination. I think they had at one point hit 10 3's to a goose egg on 3's for us. That's freaking 30 points -- it's demoralizing.

One thing I noticed in regards to Lehigh's 3's - they were very meticulous about setting up for the shot. Made sure they were open, had the almost exact same mechanics in shooting them from a very similar point on the 3pt arc. It's almost, well, it's almost like they practiced shooting them that way, that same way over and over and over again. They took their time, focused on the net and kept their bodies almost perfectly in control during the shot. I know, crazy, huh? That they would practice something like that?

Contrast that with what I saw from our shooters, with one exception being Tony M, - I did notice he was pretty good about his shot setup - was that we just looked like we took them from wherever they happened to be when the shot clock was winding down and it was like "oh crap I guess I have to shoot a 3 now" . Very different styles of play, I think that was obvious.