Full Story on Jimmerson / Warner

Harry

This will be in tomorrows paper, but I wanted to get it out now since its timely:

North Texas redshirt freshman running back Antoinne Jimmerson and sophomore cornerback Freddie Warner were both arrested on Thursday afternoon and charged with theft.

According to the police report, an employee at a department store in the Golden Triangle Mall in Denton observed two men putting clothing into backpacks on a security video. Both allegedly left the store without paying for the items, which had an estimated value of between $50 and $500.

The store employee notified Denton police, who arrested both Jimmerson and Warner, according to the report.

Jimmerson and Warner each posted $500 bail and have been released from the Denton City Jail.

Jimmerson and Warner are both 19.

Its still early in the process, UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said. We are working with the university and will take the appropriate action when all the information is accumulated.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2012/12/full-story-on-jimmersonwarner.html/

Something like that happens to a schlub office worker like me, I get fired, get an arrest record, and it follows me around other job interviews for life like a case of herpes. Conviction or dismissal doesn't matter. The arrest is enough.

Now, a star athlete? We stand behind him. Innocent until proven guilty. Back in practice on Monday.

Gotta love our societal priorities and equality for all justice system.

Not meant to pick on these two kids. It just always strikes a bit of a nerve with me when athletes get such a wide berth with legal matters. See also Cowboys dude who just drunkenly killed his teammate.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Something like that happens to a schlub office worker like me, I get fired, get an arrest record, and it follows me around other job interviews for life like a case of herpes. Conviction or dismissal doesn't matter. The arrest is enough.

Now, a star athlete? We stand behind him. Innocent until proven guilty. Back in practice on Monday.

Gotta love our societal priorities and equality for all justice system.

Not meant to pick on these two kids. It just always strikes a bit of a nerve with me when athletes get such a wide berth with legal matters. See also Cowboys dude who just drunkenly killed his teammate.

True this! Priorities in this great nation of ours do seem a bit messed up at times. Tired of athletes at every level seemingly getting chance after chance that "regular" working stiffs never seem to get. Now, do I believe in second chances...certainly...after the appropriate lessons have been learned and debts paid.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I understand some kid who was just 20 committed a pretty horrible crime today up in Conn. Going to excuse him because he is "just a kid"?

No, not comparing the two crimes at all...just commenting on the ridiculous comment about being 19 and as such should somehow be excused for breaking the law....like they had no idea that stealing was against the law and wrong....sure, right.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 7

Lets not overreact here. DO NOT kick them off the team. Make them take responsibilty for their actions, make it up to the team and the community and move on. No one seems to care about Johnny Football's bar fight anymore do they?

I darn sure do. You can let it slide if you want, but it would have kept me from voting for him for the Heisman. Tough you say? Maybe so, but there were other worthy candidates with clean rap sheets. Just saying......

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Some guys in this world don't grow up in sweet loving households packed with money, so some consideration should be on the table here IMO. On the other hand, I can't stand thieves myself, but we are talking about some young guys here. I wasn't always an angel myself as a`teenager, and I'd hate to think about how stifled my outlook on life would be today if I had been one. Sometimes people just need to learn from their F'ups. Hope these two learn, because they both have been given a great opportunity to do something positive with their lives at NT.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This is a terrible story and incident that will impact these guys for the rest of their lives. Some of us make bad decisions....some of us are just bad...some come from a bad situation. I do not know where these boys fall, and I hope the get what is coming to them. But I have a thought that is very compelling. A few years ago the NCAA denied "walking around" money for student athletes...Believe they were talking about 2000.00 per year. There are several arguments on this issue...1st, they are getting their education free vs. other students that are paying for theirs. 2nd, if the family does not have the means to give their student / athlete an allowance, what is the student / athlete do for money? During the season, I know they are very busy and have a schedule that I would be hard pressed to keep up with when you factor in practice, film, tutoring, classes. These boys have no time for a part time job when other students do. Personally, I am in favor of this "walking around" money and it is not because of my perspective. Think of the money wasted buying out coaches contracts, paying exit fees to a conference that you no longer want to be in....NCAA has money, are they allocating it properly???

Edited by trussbussdad
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

This is a terrible story and incident that will impact these guys for the rest of their lives. Some of us make bad decisions....some of us are just bad...some come from a bad situation. I do not know where these boys fall, and I hope the get what is coming to them. But I have a thought that is very compelling. A few years ago the NCAA denied "walking around" money for student athletes...Believe they were talking about 2000.00 per year. There are several arguments on this issue...1st, they are getting their education free vs. other students that are paying for theirs. 2nd, if the family does not have the means to give their student / athlete an allowance, what is the student / athlete do for money? During the season, I know they are very busy and have a schedule that I would be hard pressed to keep up with when you factor in practice, film, tutoring, classes. These boys have no time for a part time job when other students do. Personally, I am in favor of this "walking around" money and it is not because of my perspective. Think of the money wasted buying out coaches contracts, paying exit fees to a conference that you no longer want to be in....NCAA has money, are they allocating it properly???
Have to agree with you here.

There are plenty of students who are trying to get by in college, but when you are a piece to a puzzle at a university that brings in so much attention and money, a bone can be thrown IMO.

On a more positive note: If people follow Brock Berglund on twitter, he is giving a toy to a child in need for xmas for every new follower.

• Upvote 4

These players should be punished. i can't say how severe it should be, but they broke the law and they represent UNT athletics and UNT football. With great power, comes great responsibility...to whom much was given, of him much will be required... UNT gave these guys an opportunity to represent the university, and they made a mistake. Because they are athletes, it became news where if a regular student would have done it, it would have been a slap on the wrist and they would have been able to move on. One game is not enough in my opinion. Not sure if they should lose their scholarship either, but if i had to pick one or the other, it would be loss of scholarship. I'm sorry. We can come up with all the excuses, but there are thousand of athletes that do not get caught breaking laws too. there are thousands more athletes that did not get the opportunity these two got. Man up. Whatever punishment UNT gives them, they deserve it. They knew the risk and got caught.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1