Am I crazy?

bdan2002

I'm sitting here reading all of these coaching hires happen and I have this feeling that the college football programs of the world are passing us by. Western Kentucky getting Bobby Petrino? Arkansas State getting Brian Harsin? REALLY? It's almost like a game of bingo, and everyone else is calling bingo, but you. You need B5 and they are calling everything around it!! Am I crazy????

This is one of those years that an AD could only dream of - the movement that's happening and the folks at high profile programs willing to take jobs at non-BCS schools. I know we are not in the market for a new coach, but it kinda makes you think -- what if?

Just my two cents for the day!!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

You think Petrino was a good hire for WKU? Oh Lord.

Petrino may win there, but I promise you that it won't end well when he leaves in 2 or 3 years for another job or because he has another motorcycle accident with another girlfriend. That guy is as sorry an individual as we have ever seen as a head coach. Just ask Louisville fans, Atlanta Falcons fans, and Arkansas fans. And, sadly, he's been the head coach at 4 places now withing the last decade. So much for staying power...

• Upvote 2

Petrino may win there, but I promise you that it won't end well when he leaves in 2 or 3 years for another job or because he has another motorcycle accident with another girlfriend. That guy is as sorry an individual as we have ever seen as a head coach. Just ask Louisville fans, Atlanta Falcons fans, and Arkansas fans. And, sadly, he's been the head coach at 4 places now withing the last decade. So much for staying power...

And so if we had hired this guy, the people that compete against us for recruits would have had another big negative to use against us.

Reminds me of a story about the frog that wanted to get to the other side of the pond but was too tired to swim. A cotton mouth snake offered the frog a ride on his back but the frog initally resisted saying" you are a poisonous snake, and will bite and kill me". "No I won't ", said the snake. "I promise". So the frog got on the snake's back. Sure enough when they got to the middle of the pond the snake bit the frog. As he was dying,the frog said"but you promised". "Yes said the cotton mouth,but you knew I was a snake when you got on my back". The End.

• Upvote 4

Reminds me of a story about the frog that wanted to get to the other side of the pond but was too tired to swim. A cotton mouth snake offered the frog a ride on his back but the frog initally resisted saying" you are a poisonous snake, and will bite and kill me". "No I won't ", said the snake. "I promise". So the frog got on the snake's back. Sure enough when they got to the middle of the pond the snake bit the frog. As he was dying,the frog said"but you promised". "Yes said the cotton mouth,but you knew I was a snake when you got on my back". The End.

I thought that was the ginger bread man. :)

• Upvote 1

I want to win, too, but not at the expense of hiring someone like that. If you Petrino before his episode at Arkansas, I'd be with you on hiring him, but the Arkansas details were just the icing on the cake for how sorry the guy is. Winning big for two years and having it followed up by a PR disaster that sets your program back years isn't worth it to me. Arkansas had two great years, then had to settle in for the groin-kick of 2012. They'll be lucky if Bielema will be able to get them back to competing in the SEC in the next 4 years.

I also feel Benford'd too, but that has to do with hiring a novice as a head coach with a talented team. There were other successful head coaches with no personal problems that could have been hired, or at least interviewed. But, as mentioned on another post, I wouldn't have hired Billy Gillespie, either, even though he has won at other places. He had just reached the point, as Tech has now seen, where his personal issues are just too deep to entrust him with a head coaching job. Petrino fits in that same box.

• Upvote 1

For me, I am happy that many of these coaches are passing us by...if that is really the case at all. I know questions remain, but I cannot help but be excited about what 2013 may bring for the Mean Green. Yes, you can call me crazy as well...maybe even certifiable like DeepGreen has indicated that he may resemble, but all the pieces seem to be fitting into place for Mac and the Mean green to break out a bit next season. No, I am not saying 12 wins, but I think the pieces are in place for the Mean Green nation to have a positive and winning season in 2013.

There is a Santa, right? I believe in the Mean Green Santa!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Downvote 1

Harsin is not a great hire. Petrino is.

I was thinking of this earlier today and was going to start a topic on it. It seems as though you can go 2 ways.

1) Get the up and coming hot shot coordinator. If he hit's he's gone in 2 years, maybe even after the 1 year(Gus Malzahan).

2) Go the experienced former coach on the backside of his career knowing this will most likely be his last job

I feel exactly the same way. See what #JohnnyFootball did for A&M? And they got a new coach and that is doing wonders for their recruiting. We have to win though. Winning = Better recruits.

I trust in Mac.

And we have the guy literally ranked one behind Johnny Manziel from high school play in contention for our starting spot next year. That's cool.

• Upvote 1

Petrino is a Deal with the Devil. That likely will blow up in their faces but they'll get the smallest taste of the promised land. Petrino has won in every college job he's had and he's put up numbers while doing it. WKU may not get hurt too badly if they go all out on mitigating his negatives -- watching him closely, short leash etc.

Ark St? Well They've been on a hot streak. Either they hit 7s again or their luck runs out. Hugh Freeze, Gus Malzahn were awesome for them. This dude? Not nearly as sexy of a hire as the last guy but probably won't leave after a year. GM probably could have gotten a SEC coordinating job someplace instead of running the Red Wolves for a season. Was Harsin as sought after? Don't think so. He was fleeing a bad situation.

I don't mind Dan McCarney. We won't wow anyone with offensive fireworks but we won't embarrass ourselves anymore. That's really all I can ask for right now.