RV needs to be held accountable...

meangreener

Review of UNT’s 72 – 59 Loss to UTA

First half the score was tied at 31 – 31 – when TM went out in the first half with 2 fouls – UTA went on 10-2 run

Second Half – UNT Shot 6 0f 38 from the field – Offense was weave just past the 3 point line

UNT – out scored from the bench

UNT out scored in the lane

UNT – out rebounded

UTA – more assists

UTA More 3 point plays

UNT Coach – lost the coaching battle by a large margin

Suggestion for improvement: use the UNT/UTA game tape as a training film and adopt the Scott Cross Offense and Defense

Prediction – if the Coach does not change his approach to things then UNT will have its first losing season in many years

Hire UTA's coach...they kicked our ass last year big time....gotta tell ya - that game was hard to watch...NT looked bad, couldn't get to the basket and missed almost all of the 3 pt shots. TM never seemed to get the ball..how many shots did he take?

Yeah, but money talks. I don't know what he makes there, but do we know what the gap is between his salary and Benford's?

True, but I don't think he would leave unless its was for a Major Power School. They're jumping up in conferences. What would be the difference? People skewer past players for saying they're rooting for a school they grew up watching, and not the one they attended. What do you think would happen at UTA if he were to come here? Maybe he cares, maybe he doesn't. I just don't think he would leave there, new fancy arena and all, to come to UNT if it even were an option for us.

Edited by filmerj

umm.... me, you, and most of the people on this forum thought that North Texas would be the type of team that loses no more than 4 or 5 games, and that if they had early season success against the big boys could get some top 25 looks.

We all had pretty high expectations for this team and somewhat rightly so because the team is packed with talent. but they have a brand new rookie head coach. Benford is still trying to figure out what works, give the man some time.

Now, we are probably not going to have some fairy-tale season where we go undefeated the rest of the way but I would rather be bad now, get things together and be hot with a deep, healthy team at the end of the season.

And we may not have Tony Mitchell after this season but there will be other opportunities for national exposure.

I agree with all the stuff about poor coaching and the players being pissed.... I just don't think we should run the guy out of town after 8 games.

Riiiight, like the next time a 5 star recriut signs at UNT. Because that's what happens when the one 5 star that did sign gets no national pub because the coaching staff can't figure out how to use him.

Ever stop and ask yourself why we would hire a rookie coach with a butt-load talented team returning? When we wouldn't do the same thing in football?

:o The hiring process was affected by one player? A player who probably won't be on the team for more than a year anyway?

Assuming that what you are saying is totally accurate....or even close to accurate, AND in light of last nights results, RV's "incompetence-O-meter" just took a significant swing upward.

To think Benford was hired to keep Mitchell at UNT for 1 more year is plain dumb. THere was no gaurentee that Benford COULD do that before he was hired. Mitchell didn't have the game to be a 1st round pick last year, and was probably told so by many around him. He knew he needed to work on his offense. Out of all the juvenile twitter crap from players after JJ left, none of it was from Tony.

Any new coach would have convinced these guys to stay and play. It wasn't a hard sell. RV picked the guy who he thought could take this thing forward. We now know that Benford has many challenges to overcome as a head coach and a VERY short time in which to do it. RV"s needless gamble did not pay off. This season, I fear, will be the cost.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Because the experts here at GMG would not think he has a "high basketball IQ", so that disqualifies him. And, OMG, Tony might have left!

Someone doesn't get the bit. I think everyone here would probably agree that Scott's basketball IQ is probably higher than Tony's, or that he's really more of a coach out there on the floor bench, just seems like he goes into every game determined to get by on pure grit and stick-to-it-ness... It just seems like Benford's out there on the bench trying to get by on instincts and adrenaline.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Someone doesn't get the bit. I think everyone here would probably agree that Scott's basketball IQ is probably higher than Tony's, or that he's really more of a coach out there on the floor bench, just seems like he goes into every game determined to get by on pure grit and stick-to-it-ness... It just seems like Benford's out there on the bench trying to get by on instincts and adrenaline.

Dont forget that Cross always brings his lunchpail to work. I saw it there on the bench next to him. Probably had a hot ham 'n cheese and maybe some funyuns... I don't know.

Losing Walton hurt a lot more than we will ever know. He is the only player that can hit from outside 15 ft. If I were defensing us, I would run a zone with everyone inside the paint. Watch ULL Saturday. Any good big man needs to be surrounded with shooters and we have none. You can't break a zone without shooters. If we could turn the game into a dunk contest, we win every game. Tony can't be a leader with 3 defenders draped on his back, it's hard to do anything. I don't know how expectations to be the best UNT team ever were ever thought of. Did you see last year? They couldn't shoot then either, except for Walton. If Overlander could get his stroke back and Walton wasn't out, maybe a good team, but not best ever. MTSU is loaded with shooters, they beat UCLA last year on an out of sight 3-point percent. Benford will learn. It appears that he can recruit. Spika had so-so years early, so did Johnny. Spika's 69-70(or was it 68-69?) team with 3 hall of famers was our best ever.

• Upvote 1

If you want to focus on 3 sports, he f'ed up royally with Dodge and Stephens. Benford looks shaky (but I don't remember a lot of bitching from this board when he was hired), and Peterson's team is struggling (though unlike Benford he does not look shaky). I am unhappy with Mac to this point and trying to keep the faith.

Other than that where is this "loser coach" pattern? I posted the good hires in another thread. Needless to say, they are almost every other sport. I know some think that only the 'big 3' count and that is somewhat justified. But you are a complete fool if you don't think that most sports have improved in RVs tenure in both results and facilities. Actually, you might be retarded if you can't recognize that. And we are consistently 3rd or so in the conference in all-sports rankings, not last. Our athletics are not abysmal, fool.

I love your sentiment here!

Unfortunately, when it comes to $ and fan support, only 2 sports (at most 3) drive the bus.

Your's truly,

Futbol fan

• Upvote 3

Damn, calling for rv's head is just dumb. That guy has done more for this university than anybody in a long time.

I wish everyone would go back and look at when we hired bendord because I saw nothing but positive posts.

So far it has been a failure. No argument.

I hope that it gets figured out, but if it doesn't, we have the ability to part ways with him at the end of the season.

That being said, we all have to calm down a bit and see how this season plays out. I'm as disappointed as everyone else. I was asking for Scott cross or Danny Kaspar, but we have to at least see how we end up.

I think rv knows how talented this team is, and what they are capable of. I don't think he'll stick with a guy that doesn't lead us to success.

RV has been nothing but a blessing to Unt. He has made some bad hires in dodge and Stevens, but I remember everyone being on board with those hires like I was.

I'll just say this, you just aren't gonna have a homerun hire everytime. Look at notre dame, tamu, etc. RV has been a great proponent of Unt through everything.

I'll use this as an example, I was bartending, and taking care of some OU fans. I was also taking care of rv at a table right behind them. I told him I was a big Unt fan. The OU fans were giving me a hard time for being a Unt fan, and rv came up to me and said don't listen to them, they don't know what they're taking about. It's good to be green.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Losing Walton hurt a lot more than we will ever know. He is the only player that can hit from outside 15 ft. If I were defensing us, I would run a zone with everyone inside the paint. Watch ULL Saturday. Any good big man needs to be surrounded with shooters and we have none. You can't break a zone without shooters. If we could turn the game into a dunk contest, we win every game. Tony can't be a leader with 3 defenders draped on his back, it's hard to do anything. I don't know how expectations to be the best UNT team ever were ever thought of. Did you see last year? They couldn't shoot then either, except for Walton. If Overlander could get his stroke back and Walton wasn't out, maybe a good team, but not best ever. MTSU is loaded with shooters, they beat UCLA last year on an out of sight 3-point percent. Benford will learn. It appears that he can recruit. Spika had so-so years early, so did Johnny. Spika's 69-70(or was it 68-69?) team with 3 hall of famers was our best ever.

This is one of your first 2 posts? This is a really well thought out counterpoint to what most posts here have been.

Please post more, and welcome.

Damn, calling for rv's head is just dumb. That guy has done more for this university than anybody in a long time.

I wish everyone would go back and look at when we hired bendord because I saw nothing but positive posts.

I hope that it gets figured out, but if it doesn't, we have the ability to part ways with him at the end of the season.

That being said, we all have to calm down a bit and see how this season plays out. I'm as disappointed as everyone else. I was asking for Scott cross or Danny Kaspar, but we have to at least see how we end up.

I think rv knows how talented this team is, and what they are capable of. I don't think he'll stick with a guy that doesn't lead us to success.

RV has been nothing but a blessing to Unt. He has made some bad hires in dodge and Stevens, but I remember everyone being on board with those hires like I was.

I'll just say this, you just aren't gonna have a homerun hire everytime. Look at notre dame, tamu, etc. RV has been a great proponent of Unt through everything.

I'll use this as an example, I was bartending, and taking care of some OU fans. I was also taking care of rv at a table right behind them. I told him I was a big Unt fan. The OU fans were giving me a hard time for being a Unt fan, and rv came up to me and said don't listen to them, they don't know what they're taking about. It's good to be green.

Let me set the record straight...I support RV. He's an awesome guy and he has done so much for this university. He is such an amazing proponent for us. He truly loves it here. He loves the fans and hell, I've said two words to him and he waved at me at Best Buy and asked how it was going. But still. These hires are unacceptable and I hope someone is telling RV this is unacceptable and something needs to be done. Now.

Edited by meangreener

I'm a fan of RV and will always be because he was one of the main guys did a lot of great things for the athletics program to bring it up to speed. But like I said in another thread I am curious to wonder that when RV got here it was just so bad and pathetic that the only way to go was nothing but up as it couldn't have gotten any worse. Ultimately part of the AD's critical part of the job is finding the right coaches and making the right hires which is what ultimately matters.

I hope he uses this idea as a bullet point on his resume someday.

• Made decisions mostly supported by the majority of GMG posters.

• Upvote 3

What great things has RV done?

I was there tonight; first row, as always. I'm a three year season ticket holder and four years during school before that. Tonight was atrocious. Benford is completely inept. We were bad on offense, really bad... really, really bad. How can you not run one play, not one single play, for the best player on the floor; wait, on the team; wait, in the conference! Ridiculous. Then, how can you allow Jordan Williams to continue to let players glide past him to the basket causing Tony to get in foul trouble trying to defend the rim. On that note, how does Coleman play around two minutes when he could take over some of that rim defending and suck up some of those fouls. We also allowed nine threes. Oh, and we got whipped on the boards most of the night. At one point the margin was nine. It's just ridiculous.

I'm a season ticket holder for Football and Basketball. I'm not rich. Honestly, I don't have much expendable income at all. Yet, I've chosen to spend my money on my alma mater in the hopes that they would use my small portion wisely. What do they do with that? Hire Todd Dodge, Dan McCarney and Tony Benford.

RV must be held accountable.

• Upvote 4

What great things has RV done?

got the program out from under gender equity issues

raised more money for athletics than robably all of the previuos ADs combined

helped convince the admins to build the athletics village

got the stadium built

got the golf team some nice facilities

facilities for tennis

helped convince the admins to buy the Liberty Christian campus

no sports have been cut from a school that is mostly bad in every program and that has a very small athletics budget, poor fan and financial support in their entire history, and that has a lot of debt from building/aquiring new facilities

ADs are hired to me administrators and while they are responsible for coaching hires all they can do is hire the best candidates that are realistically available for the actual money available to pay them the wins and losses are on the coaches

as long as the program is within budget, maintaining/building new facilities as possible, and there are no major issues with grades and the like across all programs an AD is usually safe

the reality is RV helped north Texas move conferences as well......there was not a chance in hell that it was realistic to expect north Texas to move into the CUSA the first time around.......sure the sunshine pumpers and the BSers can claim that the "sleeping giant factor" was there for them to want, but that is a joke in the eyes of anyone, but idiots.....there was ZERO committment to athletics at north Texas the first time the CUSA expanded and that had changed by the time things changed conference wise again......sure conferences had blown up completely by then and north Texas was pretty much the only option for CUSA, but the truth of the matter is UTSA got in as well and TxState was considered and if things had been going along as they had before with fouts, and not much else some other program would have gotten the call

the reality is north Texas has BARELY caught up to the schools that many consider they have been "competiting with" or "equal to" for the last 2 decades and those programs are NOT sitting still so just because you finally caught up does not mean they are not looking to leave you behind again

it is a simple FACT that RV had interferance in "his job" dealing with DD and it is a fact RV had interferance in "his job" dealing with Dr B and the 26.4 meters of heat shanice stephens hire

RV has been here through 4 president changes and again the truth is north Texas is probably going to be changing presidents again sooner than later because the current one was "hired" as a temp and then took over with NO SEARCH for a replacement and is going into his late 70s

also the reality is that VLR is not "athletics friendly" he is more "athletics tolerant"

here is a thread from the WSU forum talking about Mike Price and WSU and VLR

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=137&f=1995&t=10508335

half way down it starts talking about how VLR is not comfortable spending huge money on coaches salaries and having them make more than the university admins

that I am sure has not changed now at north Texas.....the VAST majority if not all of the student fee is going towards the stadium fee....that was not new found fun money......most of it is spent and is spent for the next 20+ years

there was not even a hwimper of talking about the "automatic fee increase" that everyone on this forum was so sure was just going to automatically get a rubber stamp......and next year..I would say it is 99.99% sure to NOT be increased again

if you change ADs now there is no guarantee you will get what you want.....RV is paid VERY LOW compared to most ADs out there so you are not going to get some heavy hitter that is proven to come in and make that kind of money.....VLR is NOT going to pay for a heavy hitter period......and no matter who you get there is no proof that their grand new plans will make it with whoever replaces VLR while you might not like the RV plan or the results it would be much harder for a new president to go against the plans that have been in place and moved forward through the previous 4 administrations and it would e very easy for them to go against the new plans of an AD that had been in place for only a few years before they took over as president

you are not going to make up for 4+ decades of totally ignoring athletics, having a total university rep as apathetic to athletics, and decades of poor budgets over night period.....you can wish it is so, but it is not.....so if you are willing to take the risk of getting an on the cheap young unproven AD with litte sway and proven history, having him in place for yet another president change over.....and possibly looking at "well we are in CUSA with a stadium that is that" well then go for it......but when it results in more of what went on for 3 decades before RV arrived well you can complain about that 30 years from now when you maybe start to invest in athletics again at ANY level

RV hires who is available with the MONEY THAT IS AVAILABLE and there is not a hge money tree out there and if there was RV would be shaking it....and if it was a north Texas money tree it would drop plug nickles and Canadian pennies

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

got the stadium built

facilities for tennis

no sports have been cut from a school that is mostly bad in every program and that has a very small athletics budget, poor fan and financial support in their entire history, and that has a lot of debt from building/aquiring new facilities

ADs are hired to me administrators and while they are responsible for coaching hires all they can do is hire the best candidates that are realistically available for the actual money available to pay them the wins and losses are on the coaches

as long as the program is within budget, maintaining/building new facilities as possible, and there are no major issues with grades and the like across all programs an AD is usually safe

the reality is RV helped north Texas move conferences as well......there was not a chance in hell that it was realistic to expect north Texas to move into the CUSA the first time around.......sure the sunshine pumpers and the BSers can claim that the "sleeping giant factor" was there for them to want, but that is a joke in the eyes of anyone, but idiots.....there was ZERO committment to athletics at north Texas the first time the CUSA expanded and that had changed by the time things changed conference wise again......sure conferences had blown up completely by then and north Texas was pretty much the only option for CUSA, but the truth of the matter is UTSA got in as well and TxState was considered and if things had been going along as they had before with fouts, and not much else some other program would have gotten the call

the reality is north Texas has BARELY caught up to the schools that many consider they have been "competiting with" or "equal to" for the last 2 decades and those programs are NOT sitting still so just because you finally caught up does not mean they are not looking to leave you behind again

it is a simple FACT that RV had interferance in "his job" dealing with DD and it is a fact RV had interferance in "his job" dealing with Dr B and the 26.4 meters of heat shanice stephens hire

RV has been here through 4 president changes and again the truth is north Texas is probably going to be changing presidents again sooner than later because the current one was "hired" as a temp and then took over with NO SEARCH for a replacement and is going into his late 70s

also the reality is that VLR is not "athletics friendly" he is more "athletics tolerant"

http://mbd.scout.com...1995&t=10508335

half way down it starts talking about how VLR is not comfortable spending huge money on coaches salaries and having them make more than the university admins

that I am sure has not changed now at north Texas.....the VAST majority if not all of the student fee is going towards the stadium fee....that was not new found fun money......most of it is spent and is spent for the next 20+ years

there was not even a hwimper of talking about the "automatic fee increase" that everyone on this forum was so sure was just going to automatically get a rubber stamp......and next year..I would say it is 99.99% sure to NOT be increased again

if you change ADs now there is no guarantee you will get what you want.....RV is paid VERY LOW compared to most ADs out there so you are not going to get some heavy hitter that is proven to come in and make that kind of money.....VLR is NOT going to pay for a heavy hitter period......and no matter who you get there is no proof that their grand new plans will make it with whoever replaces VLR while you might not like the RV plan or the results it would be much harder for a new president to go against the plans that have been in place and moved forward through the previous 4 administrations and it would e very easy for them to go against the new plans of an AD that had been in place for only a few years before they took over as president

you are not going to make up for 4+ decades of totally ignoring athletics, having a total university rep as apathetic to athletics, and decades of poor budgets over night period.....you can wish it is so, but it is not.....so if you are willing to take the risk of getting an on the cheap young unproven AD with litte sway and proven history, having him in place for yet another president change over.....and possibly looking at "well we are in CUSA with a stadium that is that" well then go for it......but when it results in more of what went on for 3 decades before RV arrived well you can complain about that 30 years from now when you maybe start to invest in athletics again at ANY level

RV hires who is available with the MONEY THAT IS AVAILABLE and there is not a hge money tree out there and if there was RV would be shaking it....and if it was a north Texas money tree it would drop plug nickles and Canadian pennies

If it dropped Canadian pennies, that would be a good thing, since they were discontinued, and you can only buy 2 of the remaining commemoratives per order. Each MGC member should buy 2 of them and contribute them to a fund to upgrade our coaching hires. However, NT03 may have at least part of a better plan: bet against UNT athletic teams and contribute the winnings to improve our athletic teams.

got the stadium built

facilities for tennis

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=137&f=1995&t=10508335

Wow...the voice of reality and reason comes from here? Be still my heart! Some folks have never learned that they might want to be VERY careful what they ask for as they might just get it. Anyway, for people who think RV has accomplished nothing in his tenure at UNT, well, they are either delusional or simply have not been looking. I know, I know...start the clock ticking for the "usual suspects"...because it always is the same ones....to attack me personally on this board and another because we don't share the same opinion....10....9.....8.....7...........

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

got the stadium built

facilities for tennis

http://mbd.scout.com...1995&t=10508335

You make solid points but at the end of the day none of that prevents you in doing your due diligence and doesn't give you an excuse not being able to hire coaches who are at least respectable in producing results. Other schools manage to do it every so often I don't see why NT cannot. Like I said that RV has done some nice things but his hires still need to be accountable because that is also a part of his job that he gets paid for. You don't have to hire expensive coaches to get the best coach to produce solid results.

• Upvote 3

Wow...the voice of reality and reason comes from here? Be still my heart! Some folks have never learned that they might want to be VERY careful what they ask for as they might just get it. Anyway, for people who think RV has accomplished nothing in his tenure at UNT, well, they are either delusional or simply have not been looking. I know, I know...start the clock ticking for the "usual suspects"...because it always is the same ones....to attack me personally on this board and another because we don't share the same opinion....10....9.....8.....7...........

Nobody said RV hasn't accomplished anything, you defending everything UNT is getting past the point of ridiculous. As far as anybody basing their opinion on RV compared to past AD's, I can see why people think UNT alum have very, very, low expectations. Damn, who cares how anti-athletic our past administrations have been, most here except incompetence and in fact, endorse it as well.

RV has done all he can do here. He finished the stadium, got the ball rolling on baseball, but his coaching hires have mostly been atrocious.

It is time for him and his entourage of yes men to be shown the door.

As I'm sure you feel you're an expert in this field, you wouldn't know the first thing about this athletic department. The job of an AD is to provide new facilities and HIRE new coaches. Apparently what you want done is for the AD not to worry about fundraising, or scheduling, or providing a better department for the players, but to hold the hands of the coaches he has hired, and ensure victories and hopefully funds will raise themselves.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3