Virginia (11-20-12)

greeninok

I think we'll be fine as long as we are playing mediocre to bad teams. Because we are a mediocre to bad team. Can't shoot the 3, or defend the 3. That's a pretty big problem.

I think we can win 20 games. We really only play 4-5 upper level teams. We're all just going to have to lower the expectations. If not you are absolutely going to lose your mind this season.

Losing by 20ish wasn't all that uncommon in the JJ era when we played good teams. We just expected way too much with this roster. The problem is this roster isn't really any better than JJ's 20 win teams outside of mitchell. We have no one on this team with the ability to shoot the 3, make free throws, and slash to the basket like TT. We have no one with the quickness and 3 ball abilities of domo. And whether we have anyone with the clutch play of Josh White has yet to be seen. Looking back, it really seems kind of silly that the bar was set so high.

25 regular season games left. I bet this team wins at least 18 of them to finish with at least 21 wins. Plus, the SBC seems a little weaker this year IMO.

Benford is going to end up being a really good coach for us. This is a disappointing start for sure. But, expectations were probably a little high around here anyway ;)

A 21-10 record is more than reachable for this team. They will pick it up, especially at home.

UTA has been our nemesis. We need to step it up a notch next wednesday.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

So about the same as last year with many of the same pieces.

Wow. Is that really all you expected, or are you trying to justify an anti JJ stance? You know, that would be really stupid, SINCE WE DIDN'T FIRE THE GUY, HE LEFT! Same goes for all those bashing Benford because he isn't JJ. Just stop the f'n madness, will you?

It's just stupid.

If your expectations were to lose to a middle of the road (at best) ACC team by 20, lose to Creighton by 20, and lose to a Division 2 team in the first 6 games before this thing kicked off, I would suggest you stop following UNT athletics, because you have become way too bitter and negative.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

OK the saint louis game is the last shot at this being any kind of a special regular season. If we don't win that game (and right now there are not a lot of indications of tht happening) it will be another season of: if you win the conference tourney you go to the NCAAs, otherwhise not. If you get there you are a 14th seed at best but in any case, even if we make it, we end up with very little to zero chance of advancing a round. This is frustrating and an underachievement for this kind of talent level, and honnestly the coach should shoulder a big part of the blame for this.

Edited by outoftown

OK the saint louis game is the last shot at this being any kind of a special regular season. If we don't win that game (and right now there are not a lot of indications of tht happening) it will be another season of: if you win the conference tourney you go to the NCAAs, otherwhise not. If you get there you are a 14th seed at best but in any case, even if we make it, we end up with very little to zero chance of advancing a round. This is frustrating and an underachievement for this kind of talent level, and honnestly the coach should shoulder a big part of the blame for this.

Forget saint Louis and even Lehigh. We are not going to beat uta in our next game if the Virginia game wasn't close.

I was at the game at JPJ arena. The Mean Green dug a whole in the 1st half but played very well in the 2nd half . They just couldn't get past the 9 and 11 point margin. This team is a work in progress and will get better during the season. Tony Benford is a very good coach and will keep improving this team. The team has some very good parts that need to jell as a unit and that will take some time. The best thing about that is the season is a marathon and not a sprint. I don't understand the x and o's stuff because Benford and his staff have forgotten more about basketball than most people have ever known. I don't care who you are or how good you think you are, because for the most part no team plays an ACC team on their home court and comes away feeling good about themselves. The Mean Green had a great 2nd half effort and believe me caused some nervousness in the UVA faithfull. Keep your spirits up folks, this is a good team.

• Upvote 1

Nothing. They've already started 3 new boards with differing stances on the coach.

Benford'd

This thread was losing badly, but you're definitely on a roll with this meme, and you're bringing it back to something worth reading. Maybe if you keep up this meme, you could get this thread back to an enjoyable read...

Time to bench this meme and put in a new one.