UNT Cameron Thoughts

Harry

That was what a game against a Division II opponent is supposed to look like for UNT.

The Mean Green had five players finish in double figures and rolled to a 78-49 win over Cameron tonight in its home opener.

Chris Jones had a terrific night, hitting eight of his nine shots from the field on his way to 16 points. Jacob Holmen also had a good night with 14 points. Tony Mitchell took just five shots, but had 11 points and seven rebounds.

UNT got pretty much every shot it wanted in the flow of its offense.

Tony Benford was pleased with the way UNT played defensively and rebounded. UNT still isn’t using Keith Coleman and Mitchell on the floor at the same time much, which is something it hopes to do once Sun Belt play starts.

Holmen hit all but one of his 3-point attempts.

read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2012/11/unt-cameron-thoughts.html/

Try watching some of those ACC crowds if you wanna see nasty stuff. Maryland used to throw batteries and stuff at opposing teams, Duke is well known for clever taunts (I think my favorite was about 20 years ago, some kid from the opposing team was accused of stealing electronics...and the Cameron Crazies went in with radios with signs saying stuff like "You ain't getting mine!"), etc, etc.

From what I here the Pit Crew is hilarious, but fairly tame as these things go.

'That was bad' is the worst and lamest chant. I thought our students were more creative.

Add "you let the whole team down" chant to that list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadpan

As for the Cameron Crazies...my all-time favorite was back when Maryland was really good...they tried to build up a big rivalry with Duke (Eff Duke shirts, going after JJ Redicks back-ne)...after a particularly heated game at Maryland the Terps went to Cameron where the Crazies reminded them of one very important thing the Maryland fans seemed to have over-looked:

"Not Our Rival"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On a different note, I did not appreciate the rude yells by the band to the visiting team. "Air ball" is OK, but some of the stuff was inappropriate.

When I was at NT in the early 90's. The basketball team was playing UTA. There was a sirn that said "Tuck Fexas-Artligton" and in another game their point guard had been arrested for urinating on his girlfriend. Umbrellas and water guns were the attire for the game, with signs that said don't P on me. When UTA retired Willie Brand's number at the stage. They brought out a lectern for them to speak behind. One of the NT fan's yelled, "We're not at the Rotary Club." Just few instances on how much funnier it can get at "The Pit."

Disagree. Several time he turned around as if trying to see who hadn't got to play that half.

Benford wasn't as bad as in previous games but...

but CJ, Alzee, and JW played the first 7 minutes before coming out. The starters played 5 minutes to start the second half to start the 21-0 run. Once it was 64-20 he was getting guys playing time. Id say he is figuring the rotations out.

• Upvote 1

My opinion on trashtalk: Consider who the opponent is.... Go easy on lower level opponents and be rather respectful unless they are acting like jackasses (coach maybe) ...we haven't appreciated some of the remarks when we were overmatched .... they are not supposed to be as good...... but on D-I equals... that is a lot different.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I was at the game Friday. I am not a professional commentator or paid to follow sports but here is what I saw during the game:

Good points: NT played really good defense. They held Cameron to 20 points in the first half. Cameron did not SCORE till almost 7 or 8 minutes into the second half. They did not hit a FG till almost 10 minutes in. You can say Cameron scored 29 in the second half...most of that in the last 10 minutes...almost all of that against the end of the NT bench.

I didn't look at the box score yet but it did not look like NT missed that many free throws. Cameron did foul a lot! A lot of times in the second half someone got fouled shooting, making the FG and completing the 3 point play. One one play an NT player hit the FG, missed the FT but Mitchell got the rebound and made it a 4 point play.

Bad points: It appeared NT gave up a lot of offensive rebounds to Cameron early in the game and early in the second half. NT was not getting that many offensive rebounds. There was one exchange in the second half where NT got 3 or 4 shots and eventually got the basket.

NT was bad on 3 point shots. They did not hit many and they were throwing up a lot of them in the second half when the game was out of hand. Cameron got a lot of points off of 3s towards the end.

Chalk it up to excitment of being able to play or not thinking...towards the end of the game, my thoughts are to shorten the game. Run down the shot clock to end the game sooner. NT was not doing that. There were shots going up with over 20 seconds on the shot clock. Granted that was the end of the bench playing at that time and they don't get to play that much.