UNT lost to LSU 41-14

emmitt01

Saying Derek Thompson is a leader of the offense and effective is not drinking the kool-aid bro. That is the only thing I pointed out in your comment.

I want to hear your reasons on why Derek Thompson is not a leader and what should be done about it.

He doesn't look poised and confidant in the pocket. The O line did well in keeping their defense back, he had time to throw but seemed like he just wanted to get rid of it. Accuracy, as in pin point accuracy isn't there.

We went 6 straight 3 and outs followed by an interception. We had two good drives that had passing touchdowns. Our other numbers weren't great. Other than the 36 yards at the start of the 2nd quarter and the 19 at the beginning of the 3rd everything else was single digits.

http://espn.go.com/n...ameId=322450099

I'm not blaming him solely, there are too many factors in the offense, play calling, LSU's defense, etc. but I didn't see Thompson sharp on the throws he made.

Also the kool-aid comment wasn't targeted to you. I meant that for everyone. I'm a harsh critic and don't like to sugar coat things is all.

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Downvote 1

He doesn't look poised and confidant in the pocket. The O line did well in keeping their defense back, he had time to throw but seemed like he just wanted to get rid of it. Accuracy, as in pin point accuracy isn't there.

We went 6 straight 3 and outs followed by an interception. We had two good drives that had passing touchdowns. Our other numbers weren't great. Other than the 36 yards at the start of the 2nd quarter and the 19 at the beginning of the 3rd everything else was single digits.

I'm not blaming him solely, there are too many factors in the offense, play calling, LSU's defense, etc. but I didn't see Thompson sharp on the throws he made.

Also the kool-aid comment wasn't targeted to you. I meant that for everyone. I'm a harsh critic and don't like to sugar coat things is all.

I just can not agree with you on DT not being an effective leader of the offense just because of a tough game against LSU.

If he looks like this next week then, yeah you might be on to something, but withstand your judgement on the kid, who is a proven leader, for a few weeks.

• Upvote 2

Wow, people are proud of a loss :rolleyes1:

Don't try and spin this as a positive. We lost by 20 points, the game was never in danger of being lost so why are people acting like it was a good loss? There are no moral victories. We should hold ourselves to a higher standard, and ask for a competitive football team. There is plenty of praise to give to the D and their continual stops, they kept this game in reason. Our offense made us look pedestrian. Why is Canales so stubborn and continuously ran the ball? Both of our scores came off of passes, why not pass more? Our offense was stopped almost every time we tried to run. Lets be honest in that Thompson doesn't have the skill to carry this team, our offense needs to be more flexible, and our defense played with lots of heart.

I support the program fully, but I'm a realist and I laugh at people saying we are going 7-5 from a "good loss", teams ebb and flow and our next week's performance could be worse or it could be better. I will wait and see what they show ON THE FIELD, instead of making some outlandish claim with no basis.

Its possible that, other than everything GL2Greatness (and all of her other usernames) has posted, this is about as ridiculous as it gets here on this board. If this is indeed your first season of following UNT football, I will inform you that in all of the body bag games we have played against Texas, OU, Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, or Clemson in the last 10 years, this is about as good as it has been. If its not your first season, then I have no idea where you have been following college football for the last 4-5 decades. Actually, its better than the others--because they paid us more than anyone else, which means that our other non-revenue sports will still get funded. Unfortunately, since this is still what is needed at North Texas to fund our AD, due to usually lackluster home opponents to draw decent crowds for, this is how business is done here. Accepting losing was not what this game was about--accepting cash while not getting killed or embarrassed was the goal. Having witnessed OU beat us 79-10, Texas beat us 65-0 and 56-7, LSU and Alabama usually keep us from scoring a TD, etc...sometimes you have to recgonize that things aren't really meant to go your way when all you are doing is prostituting yourself for $$$. Bodybag games at ranked SEC and Big XII powers aren't really geared to be anything but a re-enactment of the Lions vs Christians in the Colosseum. We survived, banked some cashed, avoided a major embarrassment, gained a bit of respect for never giving up, and moved on to a game where we get to be the Lions while the opponent gets to be the Christians. But I will tell you this, if we beat Texas Southern 41-14, I'll accept that win just like I have accpeted this outcome. Coach Mac had us play that game about as close as the talent differential would allow in front of 92k rabid fans at nighttime. At least that is my take...

• Upvote 1

He doesn't look poised and confidant in the pocket. I'm not blaming him solely...but I didn't see Thompson sharp on the throws he made.

I'm a harsh critic and don't like to sugar coat things is all.

I can go with harsh criticism when it's warranted. In this case though, I'm not feeling you. I thought DT played pretty darn well, all things considered.

• Upvote 1

Its possible that, other than everything GL2Greatness (and all of her other usernames) has posted, this is about as ridiculous as it gets here on this board. If this is indeed your first season of following UNT football, I will inform you that in all of the body bag games we have played against Texas, OU, Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, or Clemson in the last 10 years, this is about as good as it has been. If its not your first season, then I have no idea where you have been following college football for the last 4-5 decades. Actually, its better than the others--because they paid us more than anyone else, which means that our other non-revenue sports will still get funded. Unfortunately, since this is still what is needed at North Texas to fund our AD, due to usually lackluster home opponents to draw decent crowds for, this is how business is done here. Accepting losing was not what this game was about--accepting cash while not getting killed or embarrassed was the goal. Having witnessed OU beat us 79-10, Texas beat us 65-0 and 56-7, LSU and Alabama usually keep us from scoring a TD, etc...sometimes you have to recgonize that things aren't really meant to go your way when all you are doing is prostituting yourself for $$$. Bodybag games at ranked SEC and Big XII powers aren't really geared to be anything but a re-enactment of the Lions vs Christians in the Colosseum. We survived, banked some cashed, avoided a major embarrassment, gained a bit of respect for never giving up, and moved on to a game where we get to be the Lions while the opponent gets to be the Christians. But I will tell you this, if we beat Texas Southern 41-14, I'll accept that win just like I have accpeted this outcome. Coach Mac had us play that game about as close as the talent differential would allow in front of 92k rabid fans at nighttime. At least that is my take...

This isn't my first season.

So just because we lost by worse in the past means that its better to lose by less now? Or explain that to me. McCarney isn't happy, he said he expected to hang in there and play toe to toe with LSU and steal a win. So your saying he shouldn't be saying that and just be happy he didn't lose by more? He wants us to expect more from our team. Our defense came up big, 2 missed field goals, one interception headed for the end zone and forced some 3 and outs. They came out to do work even if it was against a very talented LSU. Now look at our offense and see two break out plays for TDs, and one for 36 yards. The rest were abysmal.

Yards on drive

-2 Punt

3 Punt

8 Punt

0 Punt

8 Punt

36 Punt

2 Int.

80 TD

2 End of Half

19 Punt

3 Punt

66 TD

-1 Fumble

http://espn.go.com/n...450099&period=0

So we can't even get some consistent drives in double digits? Now tell me how the offense didn't manage to show up like the defense did? I'm not expecting a miracle, but your telling me we can't put together a decent/easy play for some yards?

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

This isn't my first season.

So just because we lost by worse in the past means that its better to lose by less now? Or explain that to me. McCarney isn't happy, he said he expected to hang in there and play toe to toe with LSU and steal a win. So your saying he shouldn't be saying that and just be happy he didn't lose by more? He wants us to expect more from our team. Our defense came up big, 2 missed field goals, one interception headed for the end zone and forced some 3 and outs. They came out to do work even if it was against a very talented LSU. Now look at our offense and see two break out plays for TDs, and one for 36 yards. The rest were abysmal.

http://espn.go.com/n...450099&period=0

So we can't even get some consistent drives in double digits? Now tell me how the offense didn't manage to show up like the defense did? I'm not expecting a miracle, but your telling me we can't put together a decent/easy play for some yards?

Against possibly the best defense in the nation but arguably a top 5 for sure.... dude let it go. You won't win this fight.

Against possibly the best defense in the nation but arguably a top 5 for sure.... dude let it go. You won't win this fight.

And one of the best offense too right? Yeah our defense sure looked scared vs them and didn't knock their QB on his ass. Pre-season rankings don't mean a thing, thats just what people perceive them to be. There are huge bias in that.

I won't win because people just want to be happy about not getting killed. Really though I'm not trying to convince anyone. People can feel how they want to, I will hold the team to my own expectations and my own opinions of what I think we should be accomplishing. I will happily debate with people who think other wise, they are free to disagree.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

LOL at the person who keeps neg repping me. I don't care about reputation. Why don't you show your face and post an argument against my points coward.

I don't think I -1ed any of your previous posts, but I had to -1 that one. Anyone who whines about getting -1ed (especially while oxymoronically claiming he doesn't care about "reputation points") needs to be -1ed.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

And one of the best offense too right? Yeah our defense sure looked scared vs them and didn't knock their QB on his ass. Pre-season rankings don't mean a thing, thats just what people perceive them to be. There are huge bias in that.

I won't win because people just want to be happy about not getting killed. Really though I'm not trying to convince anyone. People can feel how they want to, I will hold the team to my own expectations and my own opinions of what I think we should be accomplishing. I will happily debate with people who think other wise, they are free to disagree.

Ya, that's great. But they ran for 300 plus yards against us. Over 500 yards total given up by the defense.

Great. We knocked them on their ass a couple of times. They dominated most of the time.

There were positives and a lot of negatives on both sides of the ball. Trying to over inflate one performance while tearing down the other makes you look like a football dummy.

Just sayin.

• Upvote 2

It would have been awesome if NT did some things differently years ago and then at this time we could expect to do better against an LSU. That didn't happen so there's no use bellyaching about the score. LSU can get about any giant, fast, intense player they want, at every position. As a result, it could have been a lot worse, against our team or any other at our current level. LSU is comparable to Alabama. Look what they did to Michigan. I am happy to say we are at the same level as Michigan this week. I watched Virginia play. They wouldn't have fared any better. I am happy to say we are at their level this week. The highlight of this game for me was when LSU broke a long run, the one where that ahole LSU receiver got his cheap shot block, and still 2 or 3 other Mean Green ran that back down and I think LSU got no points on that drive. That was heart and pride and it made me proud. We have a player who can run loose in a top SEC defense. Our QB made good decisions. You try executing with those monsters coming at you. As many know, I will be among the first to rain on the parade, but NOT after this effort!

• Upvote 1

My favorite moment was a point during our second scoring drive. After a play, the TV cut from one LSU defender to the next and next. Everyone of them had their hands on hips or knees and was breathing hard. We were wearing them out, even though the ESPN analyst never mentionedit. If our offense can do more of that, sustained drives that wear down the opponent and give our defense a chance to rest, we will win a lot more games.

• Upvote 2

Maybe if these expectations could be clearly defined by you, others may be able to understand where you're coming from. Otherwise, as a bystander who has not chimed in on this thread yet, you're just a guy dumping on the team's efforts.

You must admit that LSU is far superior to any other team we'll be playing this year. Right? Despite your disagreement with what it stands for, LSU was ranked #3 in the preseason poll for a reason. They are VERY GOOD.

As a UNT fan, you must be able to find something this team did well in Baton Rouge. Right? If no, did you watch the game? Did you see the O-line's efforts? Did you see Jackson's hit? Did you see Chancellor? Did you see Whitfield intercept a pass? Those are all encouraging plays.

Do you expect this same result against TX Southern? K-St? Houston? Any Belt school?

The Mean Green lost a game and is now 0-1. I don't think anyone is happy or excited about that. Bottom-line, this is what it's about and of-course McCarney, being about the bottom line, is not happy with 0-1. But that does not mean the fan base should not look for what the team did well in the game and look forward to those advantages against other competition. That's all we're doing here. Can you find anything encouraging about the LSU game?

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 3

Maybe if these expectations could be clearly defined by you, others may be able to understand where you're coming from. Otherwise, as a bystander who has not chimed in on this thread yet, you're just a guy dumping on the team's efforts.

You must admit that LSU is far superior to any other team we'll be playing this year. Right? Despite your disagreement with what it stands for, LSU was ranked #3 in the preseason poll for a reason. They are VERY GOOD.

As a UNT fan, you must be able to find something this team did well in Baton Rouge. Right? If no, did you watch the game? Did you see the O-line's efforts? Did you see Jackson's hit? Did you see Chancellor? Did you see Whitfield intercept a pass? Those are all encouraging plays.

Do you expect this same result against TX Southern? K-St? Houston? Any Belt school?

The Mean Green lost a game and is now 0-1. I don't think anyone is happy or excited about that. Bottom-line, this is what it's about and of-course McCarney, being about the bottom line, is not happy with 0-1. But that does not mean the fan base should not look for what the team did well in the game and look forward to those advantages against other competition. That's all we're doing here. Can you find anything encouraging about the LSU game?

I expect the team to play smart with what we have. I'm not asking for a break out Boise St. season, but I am expecting good fundamentals like good tackling, good passing, good coverage, smart playmaking, etc. Many things I did point out in other posts. IMO we have sorely lacked what seems to be the basics to be a good team, maybe not the most athletic, but a well coached and disciplined team.

LSU is very good, but the defense played about as well, lots of work to be done for sure but they went out and made some very good plays. On the other side, why is it that besides the two TD plays and two other drives we were struggling to put up double digit yards. So our QB couldn't put some short, quick passes for some yards? And why the stubbornness from who ever was making the calls try and pound the ball in and not use the method that worked to score?

Anyway that was just one game, but for now that is all we can go off of and I think the offense hasn't improved as much as the defense. Lets see how they do the rest of the year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 1 month later...

Clearly you did not watch the game lolz

I think the receivers had 3 drops,IIRC, and his one INT came off of a tipped ball... He had one play where I though he had happy feet and threw the ball too quick(not realizing that he had no pressure on him) but I think that was because it had been ingrained in him in practice the last few weeks to get rid of the ball quickly against this D...

What did you see out there that has you making this statement? I mean sports have no transitive properties... So you really shouldn't assume anything about anything the mean green did last night (rolls eyes)

Let's be honest. You know next to nothing about football.

Derek Thompson has shown he can lead this team to victory. Look at the Troy game last year for example. No, he does not have the skill to lead the team to wins over top 10 teams over a week by week basis. But to question that he can not get the job done in conference play and the remaining OOC games is ludicrous.

Derek Thompson is a leader and one of our biggest assets. Further, he looked good today on some passes and did a good job managing the game.

I just can not agree with you on DT not being an effective leader of the offense just because of a tough game against LSU.

If he looks like this next week then, yeah you might be on to something, but withstand your judgement on the kid, who is a proven leader, for a few weeks.

So where is everyone arguing for Thompson now? I thought he just had a rough game against a great LSU team? Eat it chumps. (referring to the people who were douches, not the ones who argued civilly)

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• 1 month later...

Let's be honest. You know next to nothing about football.

Derek Thompson has shown he can lead this team to victory. Look at the Troy game last year for example. No, he does not have the skill to lead the team to wins over top 10 teams over a week by week basis. But to question that he can not get the job done in conference play and the remaining OOC games is ludicrous.

Derek Thompson is a leader and one of our biggest assets. Further, he looked good today on some passes and did a good job managing the game.

Lets see at the end of the season who was right? Maybe you remember everyone last year talking about 7-5 and we just had first game jitters losing to FIU 16-41? But that we settled down after the first quarter and we would be alright.

For the record I hope I'm wrong. Sorry if I rub people the wrong way but I'm not some kool-aid drinking homer.

So its the end of the season now, @Eastwood Eagle, what do you have to say? Is DT still the leader that can get it done? What was that about knowing next to nothing? I'm waiting.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1