UNT lost to LSU 41-14

emmitt01

Wow, people are proud of a loss :rolleyes1:

Don't try and spin this as a positive. We lost by 20 points, the game was never in danger of being lost so why are people acting like it was a good loss? There are no moral victories. We should hold ourselves to a higher standard, and ask for a competitive football team. There is plenty of praise to give to the D and their continual stops, they kept this game in reason. Our offense made us look pedestrian. Why is Canales so stubborn and continuously ran the ball? Both of our scores came off of passes, why not pass more? Our offense was stopped almost every time we tried to run. Lets be honest in that Thompson doesn't have the skill to carry this team, our offense needs to be more flexible, and our defense played with lots of heart.

I support the program fully, but I'm a realist and I laugh at people saying we are going 7-5 from a "good loss", teams ebb and flow and our next week's performance could be worse or it could be better. I will wait and see what they show ON THE FIELD, instead of making some outlandish claim with no basis.

Clearly you did not watch the game lolz

• Upvote 1

Based on what? That we played a top team better than we usually do? That other teams in the SBC didn't do so well this day? You know what other Belt teams are saying? "Well that was just the first game, we will do better in the Belt."

We can only base what we saw off of the team we played today. Like I said, there is no transitive property in sports. Meaning just because A team beats B team and C team, and B team beats C team, does not mean that A team will beat C team.

Sorry to be a realist, but show me on the field and I will believe it.

I think what you're trying to say is "continuity" is not present in sports, which is true, but there is most certainly a relationship between athleticism/talent and winning percentage.

Suffice it to say, there are no LSU's in the belt...

• Upvote 2

Not proud of the loss, but very proud of the effort in the face of a near insurmountable win - at least at this stage of our complete rebuild by Coach Mac. Apparently, someone forgot to tell the Mean Green that they were suppose to lay down and lose. We played with heart and passion from the mid-2nd Q onward. We did not play confident early on, and LSU took advantage of this - over half of the LSU points (21) were put up in the first 16 minutes. Then you could see the Mean Green getting their feet beneath them - first the defense and then the offense. They started to believe that they could play against these guys. They lost their timidness and started hitting hard and throwing their body's into the tackles. On offense, where it not for several major drops, at least 2 that I can think of for big time yards, our passing game (and the possibly the final score) would have looked much better. And no sacks allowed either - beautiful!. All in all there is so much for Mac to build on. This team could have great season depending on how they handle this loss and whether or not they grow from it - which I know Mac will see to it that they handle it properly.

• Upvote 1

Thompson looked rough out there most of the time, he doesn't have the skill/confidence to carry this team. Sorry, but he doesn't from what he has shown.

I think the receivers had 3 drops,IIRC, and his one INT came off of a tipped ball... He had one play where I though he had happy feet and threw the ball too quick(not realizing that he had no pressure on him) but I think that was because it had been ingrained in him in practice the last few weeks to get rid of the ball quickly against this D...

What did you see out there that has you making this statement? I mean sports have no transitive properties... So you really shouldn't assume anything about anything the mean green did last night (rolls eyes)

Edited by golfingomez
  • Upvote 2

I really don't know how anyone can take a net negative opinion from this game. Had we been playing TSU and looked like this, there would be need for concern. But considering we looked like we belonged on the field against a team peppered with top NFL prospects and a few guys good enough to make an NFL roster TODAY, I'm taking this as a positive.

• Upvote 1

In the first paragraph you say we need to throw the ball more but in the next you say Thompson isn't good enough to lead this team. Witch is it??? One doesn't happen without the other!!!

Wow, people are proud of a loss :rolleyes1:

Don't try and spin this as a positive. We lost by 20 points, the game was never in danger of being lost so why are people acting like it was a good loss? There are no moral victories. We should hold ourselves to a higher standard, and ask for a competitive football team. There is plenty of praise to give to the D and their continual stops, they kept this game in reason. Our offense made us look pedestrian. Why is Canales so stubborn and continuously ran the ball? Both of our scores came off of passes, why not pass more? Our offense was stopped almost every time we tried to run. Lets be honest in that Thompson doesn't have the skill to carry this team, our offense needs to be more flexible, and our defense played with lots of heart.

I support the program fully, but I'm a realist and I laugh at people saying we are going 7-5 from a "good loss", teams ebb and flow and our next week's performance could be worse or it could be better. I will wait and see what they show ON THE FIELD, instead of making some outlandish claim with no basis.

Derek Thompson has shown he can lead this team to victory. Look at the Troy game last year for example. No, he does not have the skill to lead the team to wins over top 10 teams over a week by week basis. But to question that he can not get the job done in conference play and the remaining OOC games is ludicrous.

Derek Thompson is a leader and one of our biggest assets. Further, he looked good today on some passes and did a good job managing the game.

This team looked completely different than previous years. We just went toe to toe with the defending $EC champions and Bc$ runner up and didn't get blown out of the stadium. I shudder to think how bad this game would have been in previous years.

This is going to be a good season.

I think the receivers had 3 drops,IIRC, and his one INT came off of a tipped ball... He had one play where I though he had happy feet and threw the ball too quick(not realizing that he had no pressure on him) but I think that was because it had been ingrained in him in practice the last few weeks to get rid of the ball quickly against this D...

What did you see out there that has you making this statement? I mean sports have no transitive properties... So you really shouldn't assume anything about anything the mean green did last night (rolls eyes)

I counted one pass that really was no excuse to be dropped. His other passes were either a little short, long, or into good coverage, talking about the dropped ones here. He wasn't getting good positioning on the receivers, IE throwing it just the right amount in front to a receiver to make a play. He looked rushed and quick to decide even as the Oline kept their defense back.

Transitive= making predictions on future games. I'm just commenting on what actually happened last night. I'm not making any predictions about the future. Fail.

No one likes losing. It sucks. That doesn't mean the team didn't show vast improvement over previous years playing similar teams.

Like really isn't the point. I'll acknowledge that the long standing "culture" here at North Texas never really liked losing. Where I have always had the biggest problem with our culture is that we always tolerated it, and rationalized it. And with the exception of Hayden Fry, and Corkey Nelson, the coaches that we've hired also tolerated it.....and rationalized it.

It's very refreshing to see Coach McCarney angry after this loss......regardless of the effort that we gave.

Let's be honest. You know next to nothing about football.

Lets see at the end of the season who was right? Maybe you remember everyone last year talking about 7-5 and we just had first game jitters losing to FIU 16-41? But that we settled down after the first quarter and we would be alright.

For the record I hope I'm wrong. Sorry if I rub people the wrong way but I'm not some kool-aid drinking homer.

Lets see at the end of the season who was right? Maybe you remember everyone last year talking about 7-5 and we just had first game jitters losing to FIU 16-41? But that we settled down after the first quarter and we would be alright.

For the record I hope I'm wrong. Sorry if I rub people the wrong way but I'm not some kool-aid drinking homer.

I'm not sold on Thompson either. Really scared of what's behind him since neither can beat him out. In any case, this team will have to win with defense & the running game. From what we saw last night, NT can absolutely do that. We're talking real smash mouth football back in Denton. :)

Edited by Got5onIt

In the first paragraph you say we need to throw the ball more but in the next you say Thompson isn't good enough to lead this team. Witch is it??? One doesn't happen without the other!!!

Passing was the only thing working. Our two scores came off of passes.

Rushing: UNT 76- 316 LSU

Passing: UNT 143-192 LSU

Thompson wasn't playing great, but rushing was not working. I don't see why we stayed with the run game so much. Only thing I can think of was they didn't want any interceptions.

Thanks Harry for the article. Looks like Coach Mac looks at things the way I do.

Coach McCarney

“I thought that we would hang in there better and thought that we would match up a little better,” McCarney said. “We are not accepting losing.

“It’s not a good job. [Losing] 41-14 is inexcusable.”

I love that he is saying this. Watch the video and see that he isn't patting himself on the back.

Edited by Green Otaku

Passing was the only thing working. Our two scores came off of passes.

Rushing: UNT 76- 316 LSU

Passing: UNT 143-192 LSU

Thompson wasn't playing great, but rushing was not working. I don't see why we stayed with the run game so much. Only thing I can think of was they didn't want any interceptions.

You have implied that Thompson is lousy but you wanted UNT to pass more against LSU.

Pray tell, What am I missing here?

Saying Derek Thompson is a leader of the offense and effective is not drinking the kool-aid bro. That is the only thing I pointed out in your comment.

I want to hear your reasons on why Derek Thompson is not a leader and what should be done about it.

Thompson is not going to blow anyone away. He's a little more in the mold of Scott Hall: take care of the ball, keep the defense honest and, if I am seeing things right, a "this is my effin' team to lead" kind of leader.

And you know what? If he has a Scott Hall type of season record, I'm okay with that.

• Upvote 1