2013 Commit #1 Sed Ellis OLB Paris HS 6'3 200lbs

• 6 months later...

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20120606-notebook-paris-linebacker-orally-commits-to-unt.ece

Ellis only played OLB for half a season but still made all-district. This article gives a little more insight into the switch. He has the height and speed but needs another 30 pounds to play the position in college. Hopefully, he's an answer because Orr is a senior this next season.

• Upvote 1

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20120606-notebook-paris-linebacker-orally-commits-to-unt.ece

Ellis only played OLB for half a season but still made all-district. This article gives a little more insight into the switch. He has the height and speed but needs another 30 pounds to play the position in college. Hopefully, he's an answer because Orr is a senior this next season.

I don't think he is being recruited to replace Orr. Akunne will man the middle after Orr, after that it will be up for grabs, but I don't see Ellis in the mix there, he will be in the mix on the outside though.

Being he did not play one down at LB in this clip, not sure how he will do because he is not close to de size.

I had always wanted an excuse to see Allen's new stadium and decided to attend Paris' playoff game there against Kaufman. (Mid November) Ellis was a non-factor on the defensive line. A few fans I talked to had never seen him play linebacker. His listed 200 pounds was generous.

I really like how recruiting has picked up lately but Ellis was one of our first commitments. In my opinion, he will have to gain alot of weight over the next 2 years just to be worthy of a D1 scholarship. Whether or not he can play the positon is another issue/concern.

Paris had three lbs make all district first team, none named Ellis. He made all district as a de. I hope this guy propers but he is the definition of a reach, a 3a de with speed that they want to make a lb.

"By the time Ellis arrives at UNT, Bowman said, he will have grown into a more conventionally sized linebacker without losing the speed that allowed him to post a time of 21.7 seconds in the 200. That potential is the reason Ellis has received more attention from college coaches recently.

“He has the potential to, in a year or two, weigh 220 to 230 and play outside linebacker,” Bowman said. “He’s a kid who all of the sudden this spring began to garner a whole lot of attention.'"

I hope Coach Bowman is right. He's coached a lot a great athletes at Daingerfield and now at Paris.

I had always wanted an excuse to see Allen's new stadium and decided to attend Paris' playoff game there against Kaufman. (Mid November) Ellis was a non-factor on the defensive line. A few fans I talked to had never seen him play linebacker. His listed 200 pounds was generous.

I really like how recruiting has picked up lately but Ellis was one of our first commitments. In my opinion, he will have to gain alot of weight over the next 2 years just to be worthy of a D1 scholarship. Whether or not he can play the positon is another issue/concern.

I agree he does not look 200lbs. When I made varsity as a sophomore at North Mesquite they listed me as 6'1 190, and I was really 5'11 and weighed about 178. I believe his coaches pulled the same crap. He looks good but I agree he needs to gain a good twenty pounds.

Edited by North Texas Shep

But, but, he's a three star recruit.

Paris had three lbs make all district first team, none named Ellis. He made all district as a de. I hope this guy propers but he is the definition of a reach, a 3a de with speed that they want to make a lb.

Then you need to take that up with Mr. Vito. The Record-Chronicle article is copied on my post but to reiterate the gist and the exact quote from Brett's article:

Ellis talks about how at DE he wasn't very big...just tall. He also mentioned how linebacker gave him the freedom to move around and make plays; implying that he could use his speed to advantage. Vito's next paragraph:

"Ellis made so many of them [plays] when he had that freedom. He earned first-team All District 15-3A honors as a linebacker despite playing the position for only the final half of the regular season. Bowman moved Ellis to linebacker when Paris lost its starting outside linebacker to injury."

Then you need to take that up with Mr. Vito. The Record-Chronicle article is copied on my post but to reiterate the gist and the exact quote from Brett's article:

Ellis talks about how at DE he wasn't very big...just tall. He also mentioned how linebacker gave him the freedom to move around and make plays; implying that he could use his speed to advantage. Vito's next paragraph:

"Ellis made so many of them [plays] when he had that freedom. He earned first-team All District 15-3A honors as a linebacker despite playing the position for only the final half of the regular season. Bowman moved Ellis to linebacker when Paris lost its starting outside linebacker to injury."

http://theparisnews.com/sports/article_14a66df8-3f16-11e2-8bd8-0019bb2963f4.html

Who knows, but don't you think it is strange that his 2012 highlight film, unless I missed it, did did not show one play from the linebacker position.

Much ado about nothing, I see why NT recruited him early, good height and excellent speed for a lb. However, the fact that he is from a small school, did not play lb much if at all, and was not awarded a superlative designation are all factors that point to a player that was recruited based a lot more on potential than high school performance. Again I hope he does well and hopefully he will be able to contribute early at least on special teams.

Edited by GrandGreen