2013 Commit #1 Sed Ellis OLB Paris HS 6'3 200lbs

Who the hell knows Kram. People complain about 2 stars being recruited by other Sun Belt schools and now they complain about a 3 star with interest and offers from bigger schools. His school is too small, he's too short, too slow, district is weak, etc... You just can't please some people. Hell, I watched Ware play for Troy at Fouts and couldn't believe he projected as a first round pick. Seems the pros know what they want..

I like this commit

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I am confused...do we like this guy or not?

Seems like a good get to me.....

It depends on what your expectations are. I personally would like a recruit to come in and help us immediately. (at this point of McCarney's tenure) As you know, we have not won around here in quite some time. Since he is a high school kid, the chances are great that he will redshirt. The next question becomes will he be able to help us as a redshirt freshman? Don't know. What I do know is that we are asking a lot of him to accomplish before he will be able to hit the field. (Gain considerable weight, reaquant himself to a position that he has not played in over a year and perform at a higher level than what he was exposed to at Paris)

My desire would have been to 1) sign someone who has the size right now; where we don't have to worry about weight gain. 2) Someone who has played the position and excelled in high school and 3) Sign someone who has played at a higher level of ball (assuming everything else was equal)

My bigger problem is with the coaching staff. Where is the sense of urgency to win next year? To put the best guys on the field next year. We are approaching year 3 of 5 of coach McCarney. Could he have not offered this kid so early in hopes of landing a more established linebacker? Another possible transfer (for the following year) or another Juco? I understand the concerns with Juco's but they are just as great with a project high schooler that's on the books for 4-5 years.

Recruiting comes down to probabilities as taught in a statistics class. Am I better off with a smaller (height) and slower prospect who was a great high school linebacker or a potentially great college linebacker if he gains weight, muscle and learn a new position? Too may unknowns. If this was Mac's first class, I wouldn't have as great of a problem with the signing.

Not knocking the kid (or certainly not my intent) I just don't think we need, at this time, kids that we will have to wait for (and then hope they pan out). I'm sure many, like you pointed out, are fine with this commit. My desire and expectations in recruiting is to see a quicker return on my investment. (When my recent investments have been poor)

I think this guy is a very good get. Good frame and speed. Should be able to put on some good weight. He can definately help this team over his career. Next year? Not needed at this position (hopefully).

With Orr, Akunne, Wright, Polk, Washington, Smith, and Clark (maybe?), we should have enough depth that a freshman should not need to be D1 ready.

So assume the guy has the tools needed to play the position, the question becomes can the coaches develop the player.

If this was CB, WR, or TE I would want someone with a little more potention to play as a freshman, but LB is a place where you can wait a year or two. At CB, we signed Davis, who may be able to push for playing time right off the bat. WR verbal Kidsey is our third highest rated recruit, so he might be another potential early contributor?

At positions the coaching staff deemed as high-need, they brought in guys that can contribute right away. Berglund at QB, Terrell at WR, Jones at CB, Manu at Tackle, McKinney at Center, Brown at DE. All guys ready to play against Idaho. I would like to see a TE and DT added to that group, but we shall see.

I am not sure how many more 'right now' recruits Cooley wants to see signed. Between transfers and JUCOs, we have about 7 or 8 in this class.I think any more and you are mortgaging the future too much.

Very level headed post. Agreed. Potential and work ethic at deep positions is what we are looking for. Development is what Mac and staff must succeed for UNT to win long term.

I would say dt(of course) is the remaining "immediate need", even though we don't know what we have in our redshirts. If nothing else, immediate need for some depth is there even if the redshirt dt's are all awesome, which I have prayed for to baby Santa-jeebus everyday forever. We shall see what we have after the redshirts and upperclassmen make it through offseason workouts, spring football, summer workouts, and fall camp.

Anyways, thank you(again) for your commitment sed ellis. I look forward to you working your ass off under Santa-jeebus-Mac and hearing me yell at the top of my lung as you get yet another game winning sack fumble or tackle for loss cause Mac showed you the way.

First, everbody wants all NT signees to be successful. Ellis is probaby a good example of were NT recruiting is right now. He is far from a sure thing but has the tangibles to succeed. The issue is that he is going to have to play a position that he has not played a lot and gain weight to do it without losing any quickness. Can it happen, sure it can but, best case it could take a couple of years.

The good thing as pointed out, is that NT doesn't have to depend on new LBs next year.

• Upvote 1