SMU hires Brown to win, for attention -- but not the right kind

M183

SMU is certainly not the only school to do this kind of thing. What Trilli did here for instance was worse in my mind, he was hired to late to recruit so he played all year with Jank's players while signing and commiting double digit players for next year. The team gave Trilli good effort all year even knowing that most of them would be gone after that year. He only renewed the ships of two players at the end of his first year.

The only penalty for Univerities that do that kind of thing is the bad pubicilty arrising from it. It is particularly common with new coaches because they think that it will be quickly forgot and won't effect recruiting.

That was a very harsh article and SMU shouldn't be happy about it; but just like June Jones in football; I doubt SMU suffers for this decision.

I predict Probation.

If they are able to bring in the kid from Arizona that is exactly what will occur. The DUI he got DIRECTLY before deciding to transfer to SMU will probably come with a little probation, at the least.

And if they land Marcus Foster someone needs to be on the phone with the NCAA immediately. I have my doubts about the reports that he met and was impressed with Larry Brown...not unless he was sold on Monday night bingo or salisbury steak Friday at the assisted living center.

• Upvote 1

It's a gamble, and everyone knows it. Already rumors are indicating that potential transfers/recruits from Larry Brown have already eclipsed what Doherty has done. And unlike Doherty, Brown can actually coach. This has real potential for us, but also has the potential to blow up in our faces. I think it's worth it for us to take this shot because had we gone for the type of hire that everyone thought we should have gotten (Scott Cross, your Jones, Benford, etc), that is faaaaar from guaranteed as well. Young up-and-comers can look good as assistants or HCs of lesser conferences and not be able to cut it in the next level. It's a risk and a gamble either way, but if we're going to gamble it helps to get this kind of national attention. And not because of our supposed insecurity, but because it's getting coaches and recruits talking, something that hasn't really happened with us since the late 80s.

Edited by Comet7745
  • Upvote 2

It's a gamble, and everyone knows it. Already rumors are indicating that potential transfers/recruits from Larry Brown have already eclipsed what Doherty has done. And unlike Doherty, Brown can actually coach. This has real potential for us, but also has the potential to blow up in our faces. I think it's worth it for us to take this shot because had we gone for the type of hire that everyone thought we should have gotten (Scott Cross, your Jones, Benford, etc), that is faaaaar from guaranteed as well. Young up-and-comers can look good as assistants or HCs of lesser conferences and not be able to cut it in the next level. It's a risk and a gamble either way, but if we're going to gamble it helps to get this kind of national attention. And not because of our supposed insecurity, but because it's getting coaches and recruits talking, something that hasn't really happened with us since the late 80s.

"Our Jones? " Not a chance he was going to SMU. You seem like a pretty nice guy, but I am tired of comments from your school stating how you all can just cherry pick our coaches, players, etc...because we are from a "lesser " conference. You all should pay Coach Mac for scouting half of your OL football recruits since your high toned coach was busy tending to his nonexistent inner city ministry.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"Our Jones? " Not a chance he was going to SMU. You seem like a pretty nice guy, but I am tired of comments from your school stating how you all can just cherry pick our coaches, players, etc...because we are from a "lesser " conference. You all should pay Coach Mac for scouting Hale of your OL football recruits since your high toned coach was busy tending to his nonexistent inner city ministry.

Well, they did cherry pick a basketball coach from us ... one that we fired.

"Our Jones? " Not a chance he was going to SMU. You seem like a pretty nice guy, but I am tired of comments from your school stating how you all can just cherry pick our coaches, players, etc...because we are from a "lesser " conference. You all should pay Coach Mac for scouting half of your OL football recruits since your high toned coach was busy tending to his nonexistent inner city ministry.

It's not just us, the local and national media reported plenty on us looking at Johnny Jones. We could have made a run for him had we gone after him as soon as Doh was gone. There was even a Rivals article on Jones showing interest in our vacancy so it's not the most outlandish thought in the world that he could have ended up at SMU. That's not to say it would have been a guaranteed hire, I never stated that (I know other SMU fans do though, take it up with them, not me).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's not just us, the local and national media reported plenty on us looking at Johnny Jones. We could have made a run for him had we gone after him as soon as Doh was gone. There was even a Rivals article on Jones showing interest in our vacancy so it's not the most outlandish thought in the world that he could have ended up at SMU. That's not to say it would have been a guaranteed hire, I never stated that (I know other SMU fans do though, take it up with them, not me).

I think what happens is, a coach says something like "I'm not looking for anything, but I'm open to offers" and someone writes an article that states "x coach is interested in the y job" because x coach didn't say he wasn't interested in the y job.

We can argue about which school has the better program (though I don't think it's much of an argument) and a million other things that are all subjective, but once LSU was in the picture, no one else had a chance.

• Upvote 1

Johnny has an agent who gets paid a percentage of whatever his contract is. Of course Johnny's agent is out trying to increase Johnny's earnings so he can wet his beak.. Whether or not Johnny takes the offer or not is up to him. I think there is some truth to both sides of this. I think some of fans frustration stems from the fact that some SMU ( not you Comet) fans act like North Texas is SMUs junior college or something. SMU has had a couple nice years under June Jones in football and their Bball has struggled under Doh. There is not as big a distance between our programs as they like to think. I am very happy about the long SMU football series we have starting in 2014 and think it will help attendance and interest in both programs. Now let's schedule some basketball!

I think what happens is, a coach says something like "I'm not looking for anything, but I'm open to offers" and someone writes an article that states "x coach is interested in the y job" because x coach didn't say he wasn't interested in the y job.

We can argue about which school has the better program (though I don't think it's much of an argument) and a million other things that are all subjective, but once LSU was in the picture, no one else had a chance.

Can't argue with that

Johnny has an agent who gets paid a percentage of whatever his contract is. Of course Johnny's agent is out trying to increase Johnny's earnings so he can wet his beak.. Whether or not Johnny takes the offer or not is up to him. I think there is some truth to both sides of this. I think some of fans frustration stems from the fact that some SMU ( not you Comet) fans act like North Texas is SMUs junior college or something. SMU has had a couple nice years under June Jones in football and their Bball has struggled under Doh. There is not as big a distance between our programs as they like to think. I am very happy about the long SMU football series we have starting in 2014 and think it will help attendance and interest in both programs. Now let's schedule some basketball!

I completely get the animosity from UNT fans. And I also think it's good for us to actually develop a rivalry on the field (hopefully court too). It's ironic, but actually working together is beneficial for both sides. If an SMU/UNT rivalry picks up heat, the area's media will have to start picking it up and start taking attention away from UT, A&M, OU, LSU, and other schools not quite situated in DFW.

• Upvote 3

JJ was only showing interest in SMU's job to assuage any fears that LSU had that he was not a hot commodity. He was playing the Mustangs to get a better deal with his alma mater.

I'd like to think that but if SMU was in serious pursuit of him and truly offered a salary that was double or more than double what we could give him at UNT...you don't think JJ would have taken that opportunity had LSU passed on him? Again I just think that in reality and in common sense for himself, his future and his family, it is not out of the possibility he could have taken the SMU job because money is a powerful thing and if they money whipped him it would have been a very tempting offer and rightfully so.

JJ was only showing interest in SMU's job to assuage any fears that LSU had that he was not a hot commodity. He was playing the Mustangs to get a better deal with his alma mater.

JJ showed interest in the SMU job before LSU's coach was hired by TCU. He actually showed interest in the SMU job immediately after it opened up but SMU was too busy getting worked over by Buzz Williams. Only JJ and his agent know if that interest was legitimate or just to get a raise. The Dallas area AAU coaches were actively campaigning for him to get the job but SMU ignored them for whatever reason.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

• 6 months later...

Larry Brown Has SMU Basketball 7-1, Which is Good Enough for the Wall Street Journal

http://blogs.dallaso..._board_wall.php

Unfortunately it wasn't good enough to beat UALR as they drilled SMU by 13. This Benford coached team may have the same record playing that schedule so it's really not saying much.

• Upvote 1