UNT Announces new Deal with 95.3 KHYI FM (The Range)

Harry

Daytime wouldn't be the issue though. It's at night (or sundown) when some stations lower their signal strength. And that's when a lot of our football games are....and almost all of our basketball games.

I listened at lunch....like their music selection.

SUMG, I'm pretty sure you have that backwards. Signal strength goes up at night.

I live in Jacksboro. On the fringe of basically all the local DFW stations.

I think I get them much more clearly during the night time than the daytime. I don't know why that is.But stations like 104.1 (Ticket simulcast) 101.1 WRR (classical nerd), and 105.3 always come in much better for me at night.

I think it's an AM broadcast out of Henderson (near Tyler and Longview).

I'm pretty sure that's it. There used to be a station out of Conroe, but I think they dropped us several years ago.

In the 90's before Conroe, we had a pretty strong station down in SE Texas. Seems like it was out of Beaumont. That Conroe station was totally inconsistent. If we and one of the local high school teams had a game scheduled at the same time we would always be preempted. Unfortunately they played a lot of Saturday night high school football games down there because of stadium sharing.

Kudos for the extended range, but based on the content of their website it looks like the marketing platform HD is talking about is going to be a one-way deal! KHYI 95.3 The Range Link

Hey, the great thing about this station's range is that if there are some country-music listeners who just so happen to be gamblers, then they'll have better reception than those who live in Dallas or Fort Worth! And if there's a specific kind of fan we need more of, it's the 70 year old chain-smoking grandma (tracheotomy optional) who is suffering from scoliosis from years of sitting at her favorite penny slot machine. :thumbsu:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I live in Jacksboro. On the fringe of basically all the local DFW stations.

I think I get them much more clearly during the night time than the daytime. I don't know why that is.But stations like 104.1 (Ticket simulcast) 101.1 WRR (classical nerd), and 105.3 always come in much better for me at night.

You're the director of the Jacksboro Band? Or are you from Jacksboro?

• Upvote 1

I cannot get a good reception out here in Parker County and I thought I would have been able to. Maybe night reception is better?

Did the decision-makers on this simply make a long drive around the the peripheal parts of all the North Texas Metroplex before they decided on this FM station might be a good question.

If it can be picked up in Fort Worth and Dallas I suppose that is all we need. Religious station or not, I could pick up 100.7 FM just fine out here and that was all that mattered to me. We also had a 2'nd station at one time out in Longview/Tyler. That disappeared at some point, but it could not have hurt our east Texas presence at all. So.....maybe add another FM station or 2 like we have done before?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I cannot get a good reception out here in Parker County and I thought I would have been able to. Maybe night reception is better?

Did the decision-makers on this simply make a long drive around the the peripheal parts of all the North Texas Metroplex before they decided on this FM station might be a good question.

If it can be picked up in Fort Worth and Dallas I suppose that is all we need. Religious station or not, I could pick up 100.7 FM just fine out here and that was all that mattered to me. We also had a 2'nd station at one time out in Longview/Tyler. That disappeared at some point, but it could not have hurt our east Texas presence at all. So.....maybe add another FM station or 2 like we have done before?

GMG!

I think with the advent of internet signals for games the need to have tons of local affiliates is not as big as it used to be. It would be nice of course, but it appears that they are leaning towards the fact that this radio station will be more willing to cross promote and broadcast their shows from games etc...

I think with the advent of internet signals for games the need to have tons of local affiliates is not as big as it used to be. It would be nice of course, but it appears that they are leaning towards the fact that this radio station will be more willing to cross promote and broadcast their shows from games etc...

Then for the promotions aspect that would make it a good choice for a radio station.

Yet I did like this MGRN write-up when it said our coverage radar covered 10 million citizens, but I guess we;ll have to sacrifice a few fans with this new station? http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1800&ATCLID=68062

GMG!

• Upvote 1

You cannot get 95.3 in Fort Worth. You really can't get it any further west than far east Arlington, day or night.

This upsets me.

Although, with 95.3 on board and Reckless Kelley playing after the Spring game, is there really any doubt that 95.9 The Ranch will pick up our broadcasts? That would work out perfectly, as 95.9 can be heard from East Arlington all the way to a Mineral Wells, Brownwood line. And both play very similar music.

Come on, Rick, make it happen.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

This is not the first time the MGRN will be on THE RANGE. Football and Men's Basketball games were on KHYI about 10-12 years ago. So Hank does have a relationship with the stations ownership. I've been a loyal listener to this station for 15 or more years since they first started broadcasting. They have the greatest DJ ever in Brett Dillon. It's the only REAL country station in DFW, all the other are just pretenders that play the Nash-Vegas crap. I love it because it's not a polished, pretentious station. It's the way local radio was in the 60's and 70's. If you live in Southern Oklahoma, Sherman-Denison, Gainesville or the northern part of DFW (Frisco, Denton, Plano) the signal will be fine. Any area in northern Ft. Worth or in central Dallas will not get it. KHYI has a few technical problems with the left channel intermittently going out from time to time that's distracting when it goes off while listening in your car and sometimes the station has dead air, but that’s what I love about KHYI. This is a Texas Country-Red Dirt Music station that has a unique on air sound.

I love country music, and I listen to the 'Wolf" KPLX 99.5 FM and KSCS 96.3 FM.

I have never heard of KHYI FM 95.3.

I live in Grand Prairie. I always had fair FM reception for KNTU 88.1, while the Word 100.7

would come in sharp and clear.

I will test 95.3 for recpeption on the car radio and the radio at home this afternoon.

I would like to know more about the "UNT Radio Network"

The only radio network I know is 88.1 and 100.7.

Are there other radio stations arcoss the state that carrrier NT football and basketball games?

Where are the other stations in the UNT Radio Network located?

KHYI is the only REAL country music station in DFW!

This is not the first time the MGRN will be on THE RANGE. Football and Men's Basketball games were on KHYI about 10-12 years ago. So Hank does have a relationship with the stations ownership. I've been a loyal listener to this station for 15 or more years since they first started broadcasting. They have the greatest DJ ever in Brett Dillon. It's the only REAL country station in DFW, all the other are just pretenders that play the Nash-Vegas crap. I love it because it's not a polished, pretentious station. It's the way local radio was in the 60's and 70's. If you live in Southern Oklahoma, Sherman-Denison, Gainesville or the northern part of DFW (Frisco, Denton, Plano) the signal will be fine. Any area in northern Ft. Worth or in central Dallas will not get it. KHYI has a few technical problems with the left channel intermittently going out from time to time that's distracting when it goes off while listening in your car and sometimes the station has dead air, but that's what I love about KHYI. This is a Texas Country-Red Dirt Music station that has a unique on air sound.

Upon further review................we still need clear channel coverage north, south, east and west of Dallas and Fort Worth and in at least a 50 mile radius outside of both of those cities and that for the casual fan to be able to pick up Mean Green sports. The casual fans of the DFW Metroplex are not going to bother with logging onto the internet to pick up Mean Green football and basketball.....uh, duh?

With Apogee, now is the time to expand our wings--not draw them in because that is what the old Fouts Field'esque North Texas would have the tendency to do.

Plus.....all are moving to the 'burbs if not there already and this new station cannot be picked up in a large portion of those from reading this thread..

Also, you didn't have to be a Christian or concur with Christian values to enjoy the good coverage we got from that 100.7 FM station in Dallas. Was really surprised that we ever got that station and kept it as long as we did with our tendency to want to advertise beer, though. It was a sad day when we lost the Tyler/Longview coverage that that Christian station had out in east Texas as a sister station and who also broadcated Mean Green football.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen