Conference change & OOC scheduling

ntmeangreen11

I'm not trying to get ahead of ourselves, but if we're changing conferences, we'll have to address the OOC schedule and do it quickly. We have a home & home with Tulsa in 2014/2015 that will need to be replaced, I am sure it would be easy for us to replace them with one of ASU or UL. But I am more concerned with the fact that it looks like 3 away games for the next 4 or 5 years, unless we bring in an FCS team. It is going to be difficult to find a school to get a home and home with quickly to replace Tulsa, I hope it is a SBC school. It's going to take some money, or we're going to have an FCS team on the schedule at home until 2016. The change presents huge challenges, but also gives us a chance to salvage our future schedules and get two home games, and two away, instead of 3. I just hope it's not an FCS school every year to bridge that gap.

1.09/21 - at Georgia

2.TBA - Ball State

3.TBA - at Ohio

4.? *Need a home game here

1.08/30 - at Texas

2.09/06 - SMU

3.09/13 - at Tulsa *Needs to be replaced by a home game

4.10/04 - at Indiana

1.09/05 - Tulsa *Needs to be replaced by a home game

2.09/12 - at SMU

3.TBA - at Iowa

As you can see, we'll need to find 4 home opponents for 4 years. I think it's very likely we get an FCS in two of the years at home, and sign a home and home that way we would only have 3 away games in OOC one time from 2013-2015. Either way we've signed one too many away games for the future, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. We've complained about OOC schedule forever, well now we get the schools we wanted to play in conference, and will have complainers about the OOC when conference slate is better. I wonder how RV will do with all this, it looks like a big mess to me personally.

Edited by ntmeangreen11
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not trying to get ahead of ourselves, but if we're changing conferences, we'll have to address the OOC schedule and do it quickly. We have a home & home with Tulsa in 2014/2015 that will need to be replaced, I am sure it would be easy for us to replace them with one of ASU or UL. But I am more concerned with the fact that it looks like 3 away games for the next 4 or 5 years, unless we bring in an FCS team. It is going to be difficult to find a school to get a home and home with quickly to replace Tulsa, I hope it is a SBC school. It's going to take some money, or we're going to have an FCS team on the schedule at home until 2016. The change presents huge challenges, but also gives us a chance to salvage our future schedules and get two home games, and two away, instead of 3. I just hope it's not an FCS school every year to bridge that gap.

1.09/21 - at Georgia

2.TBA - Ball State

3.TBA - at Ohio

1.08/30 - at Texas

2.09/06 - SMU

3.09/13 - at Tulsa *Needs to be replaced by a home game

4.10/04 - at Indiana

1.09/05 - Tulsa *Needs to be replaced by a home game

2.09/12 - at SMU

3.TBA - at Iowa

As you can see, we'll need to find 4 home opponents for 4 years. I think it's very likely we get an FCS in two of the years at home, and sign a home and home that way we would only have 3 away games in OOC one time from 2013-2015. Either way we've signed one too many away games for the future, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. We've complained about OOC schedule forever, well now we get the schools we wanted to play in conference, and will have complainers about the OOC when conference slate is better. I wonder how RV will do with all this, it looks like a big mess to me personally.

Bump, Soooo.... now that we really do need to replace Tulsa games with OOC games....

Come on Rick V! Who's it gonna be?

Schedule up. We owe nothing to anyone who would be considerred down. '

We are not a Top 25 school that can afford to schedule those who will not help us become Top 25.

In CUSA, we will have like schools of which many years we will beat up on each other preventing

one of our own from getting in the Top 25.

Not saying we schedule LSU, Alabama and Texas every year, either, but schools ranked from #15 thru #25 or

those football programs who annually get many top 25 votes would IMO be the best place for us to start with OOC scheduling.

Just sayin'...

GMG!

UH fan here who would like to build off our 1:1. Easy enough trip for both fanbases.

Amen to that brother! Let's make this happen. Good series even though you guys have gotten the best of it and it helps both teams who have alumni in both cities.

We're not the only school changing conferences. There will be other teams changing schedules so I'm sure something will open up. We do need to make sure we have six home games a year.

it appears that NMSU is going to have a lot of dates open ... their conf has just about folded. As for SunBelt... no more than one.... we don't need to be like SMU with our nose in the air.

it appears that NMSU is going to have a lot of dates open ... their conf has just about folded. As for SunBelt... no more than one.... we don't need to be like SMU with our nose in the air.

Only one team in the Belt that I want to play and knock down...Texass-San Marcos.

I would be leery of scheduling some SBC teams for the next few years that might view us as a proving grounds of sorts ("we should have been picked instead of them" etc) and take the game far more serious than we would them. ASU, ULL, MTSU, Troy could very easily be Trap Games.

• Upvote 2

I think that a home game against a local FCS or close SBC opponent (ULL, Arky State, Texas State) would now be acceptable because the conference schedule has been upgraded very nicely. Obviously, I want better games than that for OOC, but as long as the games are at home, then I am fine with it. What I fear is an added bodybag game on the road, maybe just a little lower than what has already been scheduled. I don't want to see us play @ SEC power and at a Kansas State anymore...