McCarney hires Skladany as new UNT DC

Brett Vito

I am not a big fan of hiring coaches that are in their 60's. If I have a choice of a guy who is 40 and a guy who is 63 (assuming they are about equal in competency) I will chose the younger guy every time.

First how do you know someone younger applied?

Secondly, I wouldn't admit to be willing to violate Federal discrimination laws in a public forum.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

This must've happened very recently...sure wish we would have looked around a bit more.

It was probably in the works for a couple of weeks. If we lost him to anyone it would be KU, he's lived in Lawarence his whole life.

Hope Coach Skladany has the same drive and passion that Coach Bowen has, it's hard to replace the intangibles

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 2

Watching Skladany's defenses (particularly against the run) at both IState and UCF, I came away with one word for them, and that was "ferocious". He gets his defense to play over their heads talent-wise, and they historically are very very physical and disciplined, much like Bowen was building at UNT. To me, Bowen and Skladany are similar. I like the hire.

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 4

Here's his bio from Houston.

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/skladany_john00.html

I loved Coach Bowen and he has a very BRIGHT future but, if you want to know the truth -- Mac first choice from the start was Skladany but Skladany turned down the offer. Having the good fortune to have him available - this quickly - with Bowen's departure is VERY good news in my book.

Here's his bio from Houston.

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/skladany_john00.html

I loved Coach Bowen and he has a very BRIGHT future but, if you want to know the truth -- Mac first choice from the start was Skladany but Skladany turned down the offer. Having the good fortune to have him available - this quickly - with Bowen's departure is VERY good news in my book.

Plus 1

• Upvote 1

This must've happened very recently...sure wish we would have looked around a bit more.

Keep in mind that hiring an assistant coach is usually not a "we" decision. It's a head coach decision. Our head coach has been around this game at this level for a very long time. He probably has a good idea of who he would hire after Skladany's replacement was hired away.

• Upvote 2

Sounds like the UCF fans were very upset with Skladany being let go. They think he was made a scapegoat for issues that weren't his doing.

That makes sense then...looking at the numbers it seems like a good hire...which makes the firing baffling. Hopefully he has lots of success here running the defense.

• Upvote 1

That makes sense then...looking at the numbers it seems like a good hire...which makes the firing baffling. Hopefully he has lots of success here running the defense.

Agreed. My apologies to anyone reading for assuming earlier but I was most worried that Bowen had been let go rather than replaced. There is the glaring statistic that they BARELY all but 1 of their games last year and it seems that the offense was far more mediocre than was the Defense.