McCarney hires Skladany as new UNT DC

Brett Vito

It would be nice if the post would have explained where Bowen went. I looked at the KU site and it says they are keeping their old DC.

Rich Rod at Arizona is still in the market for a DC. Could Bowen be headed there?

My biggest problem with all this is the lack of information about what went down, and the fact that our D will have to learn a new scheme for next season. I hope the guy will be agressive. I like the sacks and turnovers.

You know LSU is pissed and will have something to prove next season. Prepare for beatdown.

I'm not sure whether it matters all that much how pissed they are now, as they've had the talent times whatever factor to overcome anything we've thrown at them in the past.

However, I did become convinced after last night's game that Les Miles can hold court on the virtues of quarterback mobility as well and mystifyingly as Coach Mac.

I am not a big fan of hiring coaches that are in their 60's. If I have a choice of a guy who is 40 and a guy who is 63 (assuming they are about equal in competency) I will chose the younger guy every time.

Will you feel the same way when you are in your 60's and are passed over for something for the reason you are giving here?

• Upvote 3

Surely we would not have lost a DC, and replaced him with another DC without an announcement from the Athletic Department?? That doesn't make sense. At all.

I think part of the problem is logistics --- all of the coaches are at the coaches convention and so it is probably hard to get quotes etc together.

Will you feel the same way when you are in your 60's and are passed over for something for the reason you are giving here?

1. I don't plan on looking for a job when I am 63.

2. This all goes to getting a staff that can be together for a long time, I doubt he will be here more than a couple of years before he hangs it up. If he wants to coach until he is 70 then I am all for it, I just don't want a guy that may be here for two years and retire. I was also uniformed that Bowen had resigned and was thinking that Bowen had been replaced. I think the hire is good, I just hope he stays on for the long haul.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Those numbers make me think there would be no chance UCF would fire him...

Coaches are fired for lots of reasons. It doesn't appear to be because he was an ineffective DC, so maybe issues between the DC & HC? If so, that shouldn't be a problem at NT.

Good hire.

GBT

1. I don't plan on looking for a job when I am 63.

Five years ago, I had zero plans of looking for a job at 40. Welp, crap happens. I only got hired at the eleventh and a half hour after graduation, mainly because I'm waaay too old to fit the profile of the big firms. Should I find myself in a similar situation when I'm sixty, I hope guys like you aren't the hiring managers.

• Upvote 4

Seems like a decent hire. Moving quickly here seems prudent, especially if you know who you want.

Thank you. A calm voice of reason is a sea of snap reactions.

Folks, Mac previously wanted this guy, but was turned down before the Bowen hiring. Bowen was offered the opportunity to go to the Big XII at his alma mater (I believe Kansas is his alma mater), and he took it...no firing! Since Coach Mac has a history with Skladany, as Skladany is an excellent recruiter by all accounts, since it is still recruiting season, as UNT needed an experienced coordinator since Bowen left.....well, I see no problems with this hire AT ALL, and I am VERY happy to see it took place quickly.

Good for Coach Mac. Welcome Coach Skladany....

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

It's a good thing for Kansas State that they don't agree with you on this.

Its a better thing for schools like Oklahoma, Oklahome State, Boise State, and TCU that they did agree with me. Bill Snyder also began coaching at KSU well before he was retirement age, so that fact that he came back in his 70's is transfere a bit different than going to a completely new situation (that you aren't going to care as much about).

• Upvote 2

Thank you. A calm voice of reason is a sea of snap reactions.

Folks, Mac previously wanted this guy, but was turned down before the Bowen hiring. Bowen was offered the opportunity to go to the Big XII at his alma mater (I believe Kansas is his alma mater), and he took it...no firing! Since Coach Mac has a history with Skladany, as Skladany is an excellent recruiter by all accounts, since it is still recruiting season, as UNT needed an experienced coordinator since Bowen left.....well, I see no problems with this hire AT ALL, and I am VERY happy to see it took place quickly.

Good for Coach Mac. Welcome Coach Skladany....

I'd give you a +2 if I could.

• Upvote 2

Here's his bio from Houston.

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/skladany_john00.html

I loved Coach Bowen and he has a very BRIGHT future but, if you want to know the truth -- Mac first choice from the start was Skladany but Skladany turned down the offer. Having the good fortune to have him available - this quickly - with Bowen's departure is VERY good news in my book.

Harry - 100% Agree - Mac must beleive this is a good move and will help keep the flow moving how he wants it to, but then again more and more on this board are going to bitch and complain about everything Mac, or RV do. My only hope is these same people don't really think they know half of what they commnet about.

• Upvote 2

Harry - 100% Agree - Mac must beleive this is a good move and will help keep the flow moving how he wants it to, but then again more and more on this board are going to bitch and complain about everything Mac, or RV do. My only hope is these same people don't really think they know half of what they commnet about.

The bottom line is it is a good hire and there are people who will complain about anything.

• Upvote 3

The reason I think it will be a pretty smooth transition is because Mac is a defensive-minded coach. I'm sure he understood the ins & outs of coach Bowen's schemes, and I'm pretty sure he's familiar with coach Skladany's schemes, so he should be able to ease the transition.

Plus, we still have Zach Orr in the middle helping to call the game on the field as well. He seems like he would be able to pick up on a new scheme pretty quickly.

• Upvote 1

If he was under contract then kansas would have to seek permission to speak with Bowen , correct ? If so , I hope we negotiated a home & home with KU while we were on the phone

Surely you jest. That would have taken some creative thinking by our.............................oh, never mind.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You know LSU is pissed and will have something to prove next season. Prepare for beatdown.

LSU could be as happy as a fox in a henhouse, with absolutely nothing to prove and it would still be an epic beatdown. Preparing for any other option is naive at best. Just keep hoping all those big guarantee checks never bounce...

• Upvote 1