Calm Down

Dr. Seuss

Im sorry but were not Kentucky, Unc, or Duke... Even though we have a great recruiting class, it doesnt mean that well win every game.... I know we should of been competitive but were starting 3 freshman. These guys arent top 50 recruits, quit acting like they are because thats only gonna bring disappointment...

Now once Tony comes in its a different story, but still dont act like we'll be a top 25 team with them, it takes time

Theres no excuse for that many turnovers, but what do you expect with a young team... JJ will get them in shape for conference, just calm down

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Not going to calm down too quickly, after just witnessing the worst half of basketball in my memory including my son's 6 year old YMCA team. Blame it on the eerie stage, UTA takes the rivalry more seriously, lots of newcomers or just bad karma, but there are no excuses for a team to play that bad. This is not a talent problem, you cannot convince me that UTA is the more talented team. More experienced yes but the Dallas Mavericks would have not made NT look any worse.

This team looked like they had never seen a press and they thought Shanice Stephens taught good defense. A 32 point run and JJ and staff appear to be too stunned to react. Many mention that games like this happen, but against a Southland conference team. The season is young and the team is going to have growing pains but based on this performance this team is totally unprepared.

Seen comments about this class being overrated, but I believe the freshmen are all going to be good and a couple great. The biggest problem through 3 games including this debacle is that the front court is very weak. Some one out of Holmen, Edwards, Hogan, Robinson, Niko is going to have to step way up. Edwards can now move but can he play. Hogans has not shown yet, he is equal to last year's performance, Holmen is Holmen, hot for few minutes and than disappears. Niko at least attempting to provide some offense although abused defensively. Robinson was not unexpectedly lost. Franklin is a tweener but is showing why he mostly sit on the bench at OSU.

Hopefully this game will light a fire under this team, and they will move forward and gel.

• Upvote 2

so calm down we only got our a$$es handed to us by an average Southland team, geez no wonder RV and company rest on their laurels so often

If that "average" Southland team gets hot from outside like they did in the first half and continues to play the disciplined style I witnessed last night they'll be average and dancing come March. And I'll say it again...the #18 team in the country got beat by 39 last night as well...without starting a team of basically all underclassmen.

Sometimes I think football season leaves some of us desperate for redemption and we dive off cliffs when it's not delivered.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just looked at the stats, and didn't see the game, but UTA had FIFTY-FOUR points in the paint? If they had killed us on offensive rebounds or had a ton of fast break points it might tell the story, but it sounds more like they were just attacking the bucket at will. Any comments on that from someone who saw the game? All I can say is that I hope we see more of Niko. I saw the first three "games", and he looks to be pretty polished all-around compared to some of our other big guys. He may not be advertised as a great defender, but at least he has good size and seems to move well.

Just looked at the stats, and didn't see the game, but UTA had FIFTY-FOUR points in the paint? If they had killed us on offensive rebounds or had a ton of fast break points it might tell the story, but it sounds more like they were just attacking the bucket at will. Any comments on that from someone who saw the game? All I can say is that I hope we see more of Niko. I saw the first three "games", and he looks to be pretty polished all-around compared to some of our other big guys. He may not be advertised as a great defender, but at least he has good size and seems to move well.

I'm confuses. You are upset by 54 points in the paint, yet want a terrible post defender to play more minutes??

Niko's minutes go bye-bye on Dec 18

If that "average" Southland team gets hot from outside like they did in the first half and continues to play the disciplined style I witnessed last night they'll be average and dancing come March. And I'll say it again...the #18 team in the country got beat by 39 last night as well...without starting a team of basically all underclassmen.

Sometimes I think football season leaves some of us desperate for redemption and we dive off cliffs when it's not delivered.

UTA got hot because we weren't guarding them. Lotta teams can shoot like that if they are as unguarded.

• Upvote 1

I'm confuses. You are upset by 54 points in the paint, yet want a terrible post defender to play more minutes??

Niko's minutes go bye-bye on Dec 18

What's even more confusing is that Denton High probably wouldn't give up as many points in the paint to uta as we did. I say try anything if this continues. No one could do much worse than that.

SO much truth in this statement. This game was terrible, no doubt, but it's early in the year and I'm not going to write the season off. That said, no excuses for a perfomance like last night. Horrible preperation and execution. Blame gets spread around to all parties involved in my book.

I was jokingly telling CBL yesterday that I "needed UNT hoop to pull me out of the North Texas sports ditch that football left me in after last weekend's game". Soooooooooooooo.....

Edited by Green Lantern

SO

I was jokingly telling CBL yesterday that I "needed UNT hoop to pull me out of the North Texas sports ditch that football left me in after last weekend's game". Soooooooooooooo.....

Soooooooooooooooo....attend the women's games. Oh, and don't forget to wear a fireman's hat.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't know about that. I think Ked and Zo lose just as many minutes as Niko.

Agree. Edwards should have stayed on the bench in the second half. But, I guess when you're down ~40 with 5 minutes to play, you may as well put him in to give someone a breather.

Hogan's attitude bothered me a bit, along with Holmen's (actually, the whole team's head/shoulder dropping 7 minutes in did). Don't think we'll be getting much leadership from this group of "veterans".

Its got to be hard to lead a bunch of young guys when they probably all realize/think they're better than you.

Just wait till mid December. it will proba ly get worse before it gets better.

By the way, Scott Cross is now 4-2 against us the past six years despite having to recruit to that sad excuse of a facility. I hope Emmitt is right, I hope UTA goes on and wins the SLC this year so to justify getting our ass stomped by them last night. But the job he has done there is impressive. Does anyone know how much UTA is paying him?

Rick

Just wait till mid December. it will proba ly get worse before it gets better.

By the way, Scott Cross is now 4-2 against us the past six years despite having to recruit to that sad excuse of a facility. I hope Emmitt is right, I hope UTA goes on and wins the SLC this year so to justify getting our ass stomped by them last night. But the job he has done there is impressive. Does anyone know how much UTA is paying him?

Rick

Cross has done qn excellent job and is someone we should look at to replace JJ when he is hired away after the 2013 NCAA tournament win

Soooo...with all due respect, any credit for the Mavs? Maybe something like UTA actually has done a great job recruiting (a lot of it due to the new building), has learned that defense and rebounding wins games, and could actually be a very good mid-major team this year? They won't play like that every night, but no arguing that the effort seems to be there for us each night regardless if the shots are falling. A good showing against Baylor tonight would be nice (hard to imagine them playing with that much energy two nights in a row...that was a track meet for both teams last night...totally uptempo)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Soooo...with all due respect, any credit for the Mavs? Maybe something like UTA actually has done a great job recruiting (a lot of it due to the new building), has learned that defense and rebounding wins games, and could actually be a very good mid-major team this year? They won't play like that every night, but no arguing that the effort seems to be there for us each night regardless if the shots are falling. A good showing against Baylor tonight would be nice (hard to imagine them playing with that much energy two nights in a row...that was a track meet for both teams last night...totally uptempo)

Nah.

• Upvote 1

It will be interesting to see if they fair better, worse, or the same in their new facility as they have in Texas Hall.

I went for the first time last night and saw why they've only lost 13-some-ish times there in 60 games...in that "sad excuse for a facility". The pit must throw your depth perception off, whether you are aware of it or not.

It may be a piss-poor facility compared to our's, but I wouldn't wish that place on anyone; particularly any roster chalk full of kids that have never seen it before.

I went for the first time last night and saw why they've only lost 13-some-ish times there in 60 games...in that "sad excuse for a facility". The pit must throw your depth perception off, whether you are aware of it or not.

It may be a piss-poor facility compared to our's, but I wouldn't wish that place on anyone; particularly any roster chalk full of kids that have never seen it before.

I have heard about the stage over the years, but last night was my first time there. I guess basketball is basketball wherever it is played, and I have no doubt that Matt Simon would have fielded a football team against SMU there, but nonetheless I think that it would be a difficult place to play for those who have never been there before.

For those who have been to a football game in Idaho, is Texas Hall the Kibbie Dome of basketball or is that an insult to the Dome?

Seriously?

• Upvote 1

Thank you. Wow are they getting a bargain with Cross? Imagine what that guy will be able to do when he's coaching in a brand new $80 Million arena the next Couple of years?

Rick

I'm gonna guess that they'll struggle for a year or two after moving to the WAC next season. I think it'll take him acouple of years before he can compete with some of those schools on a week in, week out basis.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

You must be lost.

• Upvote 1