Why no Osbourne tonight?

Green Crazy

I get that mcnulty is the backup and he needs his playing time in the event DT doesn't come back for some reason or gets hurt again, but doesn't Osbourne need his playing time too? What if mcnulty gets hurt? I think this is a personal thing between Osbourne and mccarney. Otherwise Osbourne should have been in on the last drive, right?

On the positive side, the second half was mcnulty's best football BY FAR! I don't hate the kid, but he's been horrible before tonight's second half and it's hard to believe he's that much better than Osbourne.

Edit: I didn't expect to win this game with DT, so I'm not blaming the loss on mcnulty. Just trying to figure out why Osbourne gets no PT.

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

If true and I've watched our QB situation in amazement, what away to treat a 20 year old young man who was recruited prior to new HC. Life isn't fair and Ossy's getting a first hand view of how fair things aren't. If I was an Andrew Smith fan back in the day I might have said the same thing. I like Smith a lot, but thought Hall should start.

Having said that A. Smith was light years ahead of McNulty!!!!! Freaking Light years!!!! Oh, Dickey couldn't recruit QB's either!!!! He was all Stealth!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Ya know, I'm happy we've got McCarney here, and I feel that he'll eventually get it done, but when I sit here and imagine things playing out the way that they are at the QB position in a situation where McNulty's daddy was not McCarney's best friend, I just think that Osborn's complete and total benching would be a complete and total impossibility.

Unless there's something serious going on behind the scenes that we are unaware of, what he is doing here is so blatantly obvious that it's ridiculous. I just hope that there is a good reason for it, because we've already recently seen what happens when a head coach arrogantly does whatever he wants with no regard as to how it appears to the fanbase.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Ya know, I'm happy we've got McCarney here, and I feel that he'll eventually get it done, but when I sit here and imagine things playing out the way that they are at the QB position in a situation where McNulty's daddy was not McCarney's best friend, I just think that Osborn's complete and total benching would be a complete and total impossibility.

Unless there's something serious going on behind the scenes that we are unaware of, what he is doing here is so blatantly obvious that it's ridiculous. I just hope that there is a good reason for it, because we've already recently seen what happens when a head coach arrogantly does whatever he wants with no regard as to how it appears to the fanbase.

You can't be serious! Let's just figure out a way that we can all vote on the plays. We will fire all the coaches and be a fan coached team. I am glad Mc Carney isnt listening to the fan base because of the fan base are idiots!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

I would be absolutely shocked if Osbourne, if he has enough eligibility left to make transferring an option, doesn't leave at season's end. It's not even about who the best QB is anymore. We don't even see Osbourne when games are CLEARLY out of hand.

And, no, I don't think McNulty will grow into being a Seneca Wallace type.

• Upvote 3

You can't be serious! Let's just figure out a way that we can all vote on the plays. We will fire all the coaches and be a fan coached team. I am glad Mc Carney isnt listening to the fan base because of the fan base are idiots!

Geez...this is a message board and people ought to be able to express their opinions w/o being called idiots. Personally, I don't think blind faith has any business in the coaching business, and that coaches, and any other leader for that matter, should be questioned when they make decisions that appear to many to be questionable. On a positive note, I do think that McNulty looked improved last night. Especially when you consider that he probably has less overall experience at the position than any college QB in America.

• Upvote 1

I would be absolutely shocked if Osbourne, if he has enough eligibility left to make transferring an option, doesn't leave at season's end. It's not even about who the best QB is anymore. We don't even see Osbourne when games are CLEARLY out of hand.

Someone mentioned in another thread Ozzy has 3 years left. He transfers year end, redshirts, and still has 2 years left. He's got options.

Now, question is will any FBS school give up a ship for a backup "3rd" string QB from one of the worst offenses in the country?

He will probably pull a Riley and have two years left at a Georgia Southern or somewhere. Kind of a shame to throw the guy away without giving him a chance to really show what he can do. Especially considering that just last Spring he looked to me to have a 40+ per cent chance of being our starting QB this season. Not at least seeing him at garbage time last night was just plain strange.

Someone mentioned in another thread Ozzy has 3 years left. He transfers year end, redshirts, and still has 2 years left. He's got options.

Now, question is will any FBS school give up a ship for a backup "3rd" string QB from one of the worst offenses in the country?

I think he had 3 years once he got here. So after this year he has two, which really only leaves one option for him and that's transferring to a DII school.

• Upvote 1

Amen

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think he had 3 years once he got here. So after this year he has two, which really only leaves one option for him and that's transferring to a DII school.

He's a sophomore, correct? He redshirts his Jr year and he's still got 2 years left to play after that.

He's got Plenty of FBS eligibility left...

dear lord... this is insightful.

everybody is a fan of the back-up to the back-up qb.

Our newly hired coaching staff doesn't know what they are doing.

we should fire assistant coaches after being together for 9 games.

yes, they had their arses handed to them. everyone is mad.

another sign of a bad team is ... get this, inconsistency... when adversity hits, you don't adapt well... if coach mac wants mcnulty to get reps when thompson is out. then that is it.

this isnn't bogus reality tv, we DON'T vote to see who gets kicked in the nuts or kicked off for eating too many snacky cakes... oh my god, I think I'm going to vommit on myself...

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

He's a sophomore, correct? He redshirts his Jr year and he's still got 2 years left to play after that.

Be funny if he transfers to South Alabama in time for them to join Sun Belt...and beats McCarney at Apogee.

Okay...maybe if wouldn't be laugh out loud funny...but, still....

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

You can't redshirt but once. Brent redshirted at Ga. Southern, played one year of JUCO, that leaves him two years after this year. You can't transfer unless you have at least two years of eligibility left.

For those who haven't seen him play, I thought I would post a shortcut to his videos and such. Starting to look like the only way you'll get to see him on the field. Didn't recall that he was First Team 5A All State in Alabama as a Senior, even though he played in a run oriented offense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2SUTOSRuPY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn67TJQT2fo

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Brent-Osborn-116263

??????

First, I don't believe that he has a redshirt year left. He originally signed with Georgia Southern before transferring to the JUCO. I think that he's a sophomore in eligibility because he was allowed a redshirt year for his time at GSU.

But even if he can redshirt next year, McNulty will also be a junior after next year and Thompson will be a senior. He definitely won't play that year. Best case scenario...he gets injury/mop up duty as a senior. That's if Cooper Jones or some other candidate does not move in front of him on the depth chart.

Just my opinion but if Osborn wants playing time he won't find it here. Brent should be given the opportunity to see if he can replicate his performances against Alabama and Tulsa. He has a better Quarterback Rating than either Thompson or McNulty (by more than 30 points). He should have received playing time against Arkansas State. The game was already lost so why risk injury to McNulty?

??????

First, I don't believe that he has a redshirt year left. He originally signed with Georgia Southern before transferring to the JUCO. I think that he's a sophomore in eligibility because he was allowed a redshirt year for his time at GSU.

But even if he can redshirt next year, McNulty will also be a junior after next year and Thompson will be a senior. He definitely won't play that year. Best case scenario...he gets injury/mop up duty as a senior. That's if Cooper Jones or some other candidate does not move in front of him on the depth chart.

Just my opinion but if Osborn wants playing time he won't find it here. Brent should be given the opportunity to see if he can replicate his performances against Alabama and Tulsa. He has a better Quarterback Rating than either Thompson or McNulty (by more than 30 points). He should have received playing time against Arkansas State. The game was already lost so why risk injury to McNulty?

I could not agree more, but the air-tight argument that he's not practicing well leaves a shadow of a doubt... We'll never really know unless he's in the game though.

OK, yes, it puzzles me as to why Osborn never gets to see the light of day off the bench. The Arky State game was the perfect, PERFECT, opportunity to see Osborn in action. But, alas it appears it will not be...for what ever reason...here at UNT. I have met Osborn's parents...they live in Alabama and I am told Osborn's girlfriend still lives in Alabama. It's a hard trip for the parents to come to Denton and to away games and never ever see Brent take a snap. With all that going on, I would imagine that Brent leaves UNT after this season...if, of course, he would still like to PLAY a little football.

Too bad, but it's the way it is at UNT with Coach mac. For some reason, Brent is just not going to get the chance to show what he can do in game situations. So be it, but I would not blame Osborn one iota if he left UNT after this season. If he does, I certainly wish him well...and would remind everyone on the board that Osborn didn't quit, UNT quit on him. It happens...tough call, but it does.

• Upvote 3