Shot Gun Snap and hand off on 4th and 1?

FirefightnRick

Like will be the case for much of this season I didn't get to see the game. But I'm told that when the game was still within reach we actually tried yet another @#$@#@#$@# 4th and short running play by handing off 5 yards deep behind the LOS?

Are you freaking kidding me? I thought we proved, without a doubt, years ago that this didn't work?

Your kidding me, right?

:growl: :growl: :growl:

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

We got embarrassed tonight, and I'm sick and tired of watching us get are tails kicked up and down the field. I knew the odds were against us, but I didn't expect us to get spanked. Now I'm glad the game wasn't on T.V.

Games like this will make it hard to sell those last few tickets to the Houston game. People want to go see a competitive game. We didn't provide that tonight.

WKU is playing Kentucky close in the 4th, and all I can think is our team has a lot of work to do.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Awful sequence. Young team, on the road, play the percentages. Don't give FIU the ball, and more momentum, at the 40 so early in the game.

And, if you are going to do it, do not do it out of the shotgun.

I guess no college coach understands the concept of a fullback anymore. Oh, yeah...except school like OU and Alabama and Texas...schools in the Top 25 who understand your runners might need lead blockers.

Also, yes. Everything about this game was like the worst moments of Dodgeball. Drops, dumb penalties, bad special teams, getting BURIED in the first few minutes, shotgun draws, WR screens, etc....

....except the offense didn't usually get SHUT OUT by Sun Belt teams in any other era.

North Texas only had 5 penalties for 45 yards. The special teams scored a touchdown.

Why are we fixating on one offensive play call we didn't like? Some plays aren't going to work. It happens.

Someone, anyone, please tell me the difference in taking a shotgun snap 5 yards deep in the backfield facing the line of scrimmage, and then, because you are facing the defense, the QB has the option to hand off to the RB or keep it, and taking the snap under center, turning with your back to the defense and handing off to the RB 5 yards deep in the backfield? Anyone? Is this really that big of a deal? Hundreds of teams run this play.

• Downvote 3

If our offense is shut out by a Sun Belt school, it was more than just a play here and there not working. We had a couple of drive, maybe three all night. No follow through.

The missed FGs are depressing me.

We had 300 yards of total offense but didn't convert in the red zone and missed some field goals. It's not great, but hardly a cause to step out onto the ledge.

Someone, anyone, please tell me the difference in taking a shotgun snap 5 yards deep in the backfield facing the line of scrimmage, and then, because you are facing the defense, the QB has the option to hand off to the RB or keep it, and taking the snap under center, turning with your back to the defense and handing off to the RB 5 yards deep in the backfield? Anyone? Is this really that big of a deal? Hundreds of teams run this play.

Happening once and getting stuffed is one thing, but with Dodge it was a pattern. Last night we needed more than a few inches but less than a full yard. But in the past we have done it when we only needed the QB to lean forward to pick it up, only to watch our RB get stuffed. And I have stated specifics in the past and listed game after game in college and pro in which I saw a QB sneak or a team run a power run to pick this up. Rarely will you see other teams in a critical 4th and inches attempt to run from 5 yards back. Why we see this same pattern year after year just puzzles me to no end?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

You can swat me out to half court with this of you like.... But maybe the idea was to give lance a split second longer to look crease. The absolute lack of a push the center if that line was getting was pathetic. Line up under center ant lance is dead to rights before he's even got the ball against that front.

Just spitballin here....

You can swat me out to half court with this of you like.... But maybe the idea was to give lance a split second longer to look crease. The absolute lack of a push the center if that line was getting was pathetic. Line up under center ant lance is dead to rights before he's even got the ball against that front.

Just spitballin here....

You could be right, that giving him more time to find a crease is the thinking there. But with the defense at a heightened sense of short yardage concern they are going to fill gaps with the LB's and even use the secondary to cheat up, especially if they don't respect our passing game.

There is just no need in giving up the advantages you have to work with in this situation.

Advantages.

1. You know the snap count and they don't. This is why many times you'll simply see an offense test the discipline of a defense with the freezer play. Has anyone here ever recalled seeing us try this in the past 5 or so years?

2. You know the point of impact and they don't. Why give them more time to figure it out?

3. You have the numbers going from under center: Center, Left Guard, Right Guard and QB to push the pile against an NT and two tackles. Go from the shotgun and your giving their LB, and a safety time to fill and take away the advantage you had before the ball was ever even snapped.

I'll watch tonight and see if Baylor or TCU ever hands off 5 yards deep to advance the ball a yard or less on 4th down. Odd are it won't happen.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Oh wow! This sounds like I'm back in 2008.

I don't know what you were expecting McCarney's first team to do in its first game, but FIU is the reigning Sun Belt champion. Don't lose sight of the positives because we laid an enormous egg in the first quarter.

My thought is if you're going for a delayed handoff/deep backfield exchange, just go ahead and run off tackle, the stretch play, or pitch sweep. Otherwise, line up under center and run the dive/lead.

Of course, we're all criticizing now because 4th down failed.....

Edited by Got5onIt

I don't know what you were expecting McCarney's first team to do in its first game, but FIU is the reigning Sun Belt champion. Don't lose sight of the positives because we laid an enormous egg in the first quarter.

I was expecting a loss (predicted 31-24 loss). I understand the growing pains and I'm fully aware of FIU's status in our conference. I like to wear the green-tinted glasses as much as anyone else on here. You may have inferred a little too much from my previous post. What I mean is:

These same positives (racking up all kinds of yards between the 20's) were used in 2007-2010, and they were rejected back then... just as they should be rejected now. Remember many people on here said: "I don't want moral victories...". The bottom line is that the Mean Green was punched in the mouth in the 1st quarter and could not recover.