Lets be honest

UNTJarhead0802

Somebody needs to hand me a script to follow...b/c at this point I am just not sure how to react.

Week 1 thru Week 4 - Blame TD

Week 5 thru Week 8 - Blame small team...AND blame TD for small team

Week 9 - Start holding out hope for next season...

• Upvote 1

IMO many of you are writing this team off way too quickly. We played one terrible quarter with a young team and a brand new coach against a talented veteran team. The rest of the game we played competatively. The offense went nowhere while we were running every play against 8-9 in the box, but moved ok once we opened it up, this will only get better. The defense figured it out too. Thompson played well. Chancellor was an absolute beast. Dunbar will have a great season. The O-Line seemed to me to be our biggest problem, but they got it together too after a bit. Receiver core is a question mark, but we at least can count on Chancellor.

How does this mean we will be #120 At the end of the year? Waaaaaay too early for that kind of talk. With this schedule, even if we start 0-5 with 5 bad losses, we could end up 5-7. This team will be respectable before all is said and done this year.

This is FIU, not Alabama.

There is no reason why we shouldn't have at least as good of a team as last year, and we shouldn't have to expect a huge step back.

we will not be as good this year as last, but will get better as season goes on. last year we had about 22 seniors. we replaced them with about 6 freshmen and 12 sophs. we are starting from ground zero. T.D. had more talent left over from D.D. than coach MAC found on campus. look at FIU and ask yourselves how many UNT players could start for them. that's how far we have to go.

• Upvote 1

we will not be as good this year as last, but will get better as season goes on. last year we had about 22 seniors. we replaced them with about 6 freshmen and 12 sophs. we are starting from ground zero. T.D. had more talent left over from D.D. than coach MAC found on campus. look at FIU and ask yourselves how many UNT players could start for them. that's how far we have to go.

True to a point. Dodge did have nine seniors returning to that 2007 defense. And, it was all wasted.

But, we can't be redshirting anyone at this point. If a kid even hints that he can make a play here or there, he needs to be on the field.

Our line recruiting needs help big time, but we already knew that. We also need wide receivers. And, quarterbacks.

Still can't get over that fact that the "offensive guru" we hired in 2007 left us with only one play maker on offense - and it was a running back. Couldn't Dickey have done that? Oh, yeah, he did - Jamario Thomas.

Watched when the connection was good but listened to George & Hank. There were several things that became obvious to me. After JJ left due to injury it was scramble time to put an OL together with different combinations. Also time after time the statement came up that (pick who was suppose to block) missed his block. Also, Derek got clobbered on one play NOBODY touched the tackler coming from his blind side and he caused Derek to fumble. But what I did see that was encouraging is that Derek got some great passes off and since the game was out of reach they put Osborne in as QB to get experience in this system.

What I do not understand if the screen pass worked so well a few times why it was not used more often. Yes I did see that FIU broke it up once or twice by tipping the ball. But after a few screens it seemed to open up the deep pass. But what I do not understand is why at the end of the game you know FIU will stack the line and you keep running it up the gut. Even though we did not score the D got a safety on the next series of downs.

I expect great improvement in our next game as Coach Mac had it correct. The COACHES must do a better job of preparing the guys. Also, our guys must execute and there are NO EXCUSES!!!

I still think with the quality coaching staff and players we will WIN 5 games this year.

GMG

Everyone says we got hammered, well it was only one point more than last year.

Last year 34-10 = 24 points. This year 41-16 = 25 points. I believe if this had

been later on in the season it would have been closer. As coach said when I talked

to him at the Ranger game in April "Give me two years and I WILL have a better team".

He said it would be painful the first year, but later in the season we would grow.

Scrappyman 1

Fake Lonnie, it is not about winning at all cost. You build good programs with redshirts.

We all expect to be very competitive in 3-4 years. I would rather be 4-8 this year and save as many redshirts and a few years down the road have these kids as JR and SR winning 9-10 games.

Be patient! and more positive!

Everyone says we got hammered, well it was only one point more than last year.

Last year 34-10 = 24 points. This year 41-16 = 25 points. I believe if this had

been later on in the season it would have been closer. As coach said when I talked

to him at the Ranger game in April "Give me two years and I WILL have a better team".

He said it would be painful the first year, but later in the season we would grow.

Scrappyman 1

This.

The rest of the game we played competatively.

I was wondering when someone was going to post something like this. I know you are only trying to find something good from this debacle, but this is extremely failed logic.

FIU could have scored every time down the field in the 1st half. Whether Coach Christobal called off the dogs or their offense lost mental concentration because they knew they could score at will should be the argument. It's not like we suddenly learned how to stop them at the 1st quarter break.

FIU could have scored every time down the field in the 1st half. Whether Coach Christobal called off the dogs or their offense lost mental concentration because they knew they could score at will should be the argument. It's not like we suddenly learned how to stop them at the 1st quarter break.

1. They didn't pull their starters until the half.

2. Re-watch the game. We made adjustments.

The current staff needs take full responsibility for this one, we should be competitive at the very least.

Mr. T, this team will get better as they settle in and improve due to 1000% better coaching (which incl wanting to play for this staff). Fact is however, last years team (before warlike attrition hit) was more talented/experienced). Better recruits are already lining up so it will take some time to get where desired. Hang in there my friend!!

Edited by football fan

Fake Lonnie, it is not about winning at all cost. You build good programs with redshirts.

We all expect to be very competitive in 3-4 years. I would rather be 4-8 this year and save as many redshirts and a few years down the road have these kids as JR and SR winning 9-10 games.

Be patient! and more positive!

In 2013 we will look a lot like FIU did last night.

• Downvote 1

Somebody needs to hand me a script to follow...b/c at this point I am just not sure how to react.

Week 1 thru Week 4 - Blame TD

Week 5 thru Week 8 - Blame small team...AND blame TD for small team

Week 9 - Start holding out hope for next season...

Week 1: Be glad football season is here again

Week 2: Celebrate the first ever game at Apogee

Week 3: Be grateful that none of us has to live in Alabama

Week 4: Holy crap, is that a Big 10 team playing us at home? And man, this stadium is still pretty sweet!

Week 5: Hope that TulsaFaninTexas makes a comeback.

Week 6: Hey, a game we actually have a reasonable shot at winning! And this stadium is so awesome, Captain Kangaroo rose from the dead to see it!

Week 7: Last day before basketball practice can officially begin! WINNING!!!!

Week 8-12: Enjoy parking lot picnics and fancy new seats for a few hours each Saturday, spend every other waking moment obsessing over basketball.

It's a script that works for me.

One game and we are already looking to next season? If you thought that we were going to come out and set the world on fire, you don't know college football... At all. Did I want us to come out and punch fiu in the mouth, hell to the yayuh, did I think we could, maybe, am I surprised we didn't, not so much, did I just ask myself to many questions, probably. We just need to cool out. It was our first game with a new coaching staff and a young team. We had some first game jitters that buried us early. We are going to be fine, this season will be rough, but not as bad as the last 4 or 5. These guys will get better as the season goes along, but we have to have reasonable expectations which is maybe a 5 win season, but playing schools close. Schools with new coaches will struggle, it happens, just watch how much a big time program like Texas will probably struggle with a new oc and dc, it happens. I know that game was terrible, and it WAS depressing, make no mistake about it, but it's a little early to be writing the season, this team, and McCarney off. We have a lot to be excited about with this new era in mean green football, McCarney will make this program a contender again, it might just take a season or two. So keep the faith, besides, things can only go up from this point.

Also Chanellor is a total beast.

• Upvote 2

Well, since this is a thread about "being honest", let me be honest about something. My idea of "growing pains" is like having sore muscles after getting started on your new exercise program and you've had a vigorous workout.

Last night's "growing pains" was like being tied to a whipping post and getting beat with barbed wire.

• Upvote 1

Dude, we gave been getting trucked by SBC schools for 6 straight years--looks like a 7th is well on it's way. We just aren't that good right now. We have no depth on our lines and we can't make FGs. You don't win games against anyone when you are not able to win in the trenches and you can't make kicks.

How many times in the last 6 years have we been down 28-0 after 15 minutes of football in a conference game ? We looked like a D-2 or maybe D-3 team in that first quarter, that was embarrasing. I havent given up, I am optimistic about the future and I know it wont be as bad as last night but to make excuses about the game is pointless. It should not have been that bad even if we are starting 22 Freshman, its not like FIU is a hostile environment.

• Upvote 1

How many times in the last 6 years have we been down 28-0 after 15 minutes of football in a conference game ? We looked like a D-2 or maybe D-3 team in that first quarter, that was embarrasing. I havent given up, I am optimistic about the future and I know it wont be as bad as last night but to make excuses about the game is pointless. It should not have been that bad even if we are starting 22 Freshman, its not like FIU is a hostile environment.

Gagree. Thinking last night was well below expectations/a very disappointing performance and thinking that we're well positioned for the future/are rebuilding/have a solid staff are not mutually exclusive. You can think both. In fact, I bet the house that the entire staff feels the exact same way, even if some around here can't get that.