UTSA Expecting 50K For 1'st Ever Home Game

PlummMeanGreen

http://www.kens5.com...-128020498.html

:blink:

Maybe the Big 12 should ask the RoadRunners to take TAMU's place? :(:) (just kiddin')

None of the other Texas schools mentioned for the B-12 will draw 50,000 for any home game all season long. In fact, when is the last time TCU drew 50K at ACS?

UTSA plus Big Home City plus Big Home Stadium ="s ??????????????? One has to admit that it's a recipe that's worked well for other schools that rose quickly in the NCAA.

Uh.....DAMMIT!

PS: I still like our entire package better; that is our athletic plant, ie, the Mean Green Village with our new expandable football palace and the fact that we will play all home games on our ever-expanding and burgeoning campus.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Hey, good for them--hope they enjoy it. But it is an inaugural game for a team that has never played before, in a massively populated city that has never had Division 1-AA college football before. The hype for this has been building for a long time, so a great turnout is not a surprise. I will be surprised if they average over 20,000 the rest of the season.

• Upvote 1

Beleive 1,000 of those were bought by Red McCombs as giveaways. Blocks of tickets have been purchased by businesses. The test will be how attendance will be when folks have to ante up for their own ticket.

It's still a commendable number, regardless of how they're sold.

I would be surprised if they got 20K regularly, but our own AD needs to see this as one more reason to keep pushing ourselves to be better.

• Upvote 1

Beleive 1,000 of those were bought by Red McCombs as giveaways. Blocks of tickets have been purchased by businesses. The test will be how attendance will be when folks have to ante up for their own ticket.

My understanding is that Red bought single game tickets for the inaugural game only; not season tickets. They've actually done well with the season tickets and suites. Game 1 will be a hoot; but attendance will definitely drop following game 1. Especially if they lose to Northeastern. Should be fun day regardless.

Good luck at FIU. Tough opener; but more winnable than my Cajuns opener! :rolleyes:

UTSA really is a huge question mark--no one has any idea what their program will look like over the next 5-10 years. They have some serious advantages over UNT and Texas State, but they also have some big disadvantages, too.

I am quite comfortable in saying that in 2020, UTSA will either look like Georgia State or South Florida. I just have no idea which one it will be. If its Georgia State, then UTSA will enjoy many years as an after-thought. But if they get off to a solid start and have success somewhere along the way, that San Antonio media market is gonna look real enticing to a conference looking to find a decent replacement for someone who jumps up to a higher conference. I wouldn't count out UTSA being in the SBC in 5 years, especially if we somehow find a new home.

Red bought like a thousand regular tix. The 12K season tix are all by people. As recently as a month ago Red was trying to get business to fill 'er up given that it was at something like 35K sold.

There are 45K sold not including the 12K seats reserved for the student tickets or so. http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/09/utsa-13000-tickets-remaining/

It's still a commendable number, regardless of how they're sold.

I would be surprised if they got 20K regularly, but our own AD needs to see this as one more reason to keep pushing ourselves to be better.

Post 11,000 and I fully agree...

What all this says to me is that we have 1 year to celebrate our new stadium but that we best keep an aggressive modus operendi in Denton because we of all schools should know that if we are sitting still with whatever we think our accomplisments to be at whatever level we did them, there are now other schools who would love to show ol' North Texas that they can do it better and much quicker.

On the other side of the coin of all this, I welcome UTSA and SWT aka TSU-SM to the Texas-based FBS collection of schools as I think their presence will keep us from going into our usual 15-25 year deep sleep along with our old 3 giant steps forward/4 backwards routine.

As we are getting our butts kicked by FIU as I post, I still think North Texas can & will bring much to someone's table in due time. No matter what UTSA draws this year, next year or next decade they still cannot match our major colllege football past legacy of the Abner Haynes Sun Bowl team of the 1950's; the Mean Joe Greene Era of the 1960's when we arguably had one of the 10 best football teams in 1968 when an SWC referee stole a game from us at Arkansas who "only" played "the" UT in the Game of the Century that same season for a national championship; then the Hayden Fry Era of the 1970's which included key wins over Tennessee, Houston, etc, etc, etc, then after that era the beginnings of a roller coaster ride which leads us to tonight's game in Miami but now we have a major difference and Game Changer from here on out and it's called......Apogee Stadium. We can pick up where we left off many years ago now and that is the good news.

Folks, we knew this was going to be a rebuilding year and I think Coach Mac was sorta' trying to mentally prepare us for that with some of his past comments last Spring & this Summer, but if he would have had the talent to start all this out like a ball of fire most likely we would have never made any changes and Coach Mac would probably still be at the University of Florida. We have an upwardly bound keeper with Coach Mac I think most would agree. (Damn all that Spring & Summer green kool-ade we all tend to drink). :rolleyes:

This year we will get to see a whole bunch of freshmen & sophmores start our rise to what I think will be success at a much higher stratusphere than we will have seen in a very long time in Mean Green Country. IMO, Coach Mac is not going to be happy until he has a ranked football program out at the Mean Green Village.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...