Unt Playoff Game In The Snow

Zeleny' Orel

While watching the NFL playoff game in the Chicago snow this afternoon, I was reminded of the days in 1AA when UNT played a game in a blizzard in Reno and lost (in overtime, I believe, or at least on a drive the last few moments of the game which we didn't complete around the 20 yard line). I remember it was cold!!! And I remember the team plane was 8 hours or more late leaving for home because it carried too much weight to get over the mountains on takeoff. It's been a long time, but I believe they sent the football equipment back on a separate plane so we would meet the weight limit required to take off in those conditions. I also remember eveyone being broke by the time we left---nothing else to do while waiting but play those slots!

Anyone else attend the game and have any memories they want (can) share?

What games did you attend that would qualify for becoming "legendary game stories" like this one for current and future generations to enjoy?

• Upvote 1

A bunch of us at that reno snow game went out a half time & got big glasses of beer. The funny thing is the beer froze under our seets by mid 3rd qtr! It was ironic that just as the team went in at half it started really snowing & when the teams came out couldn't really see the yard lines completely.

After the Reno game.....Coach Corky Nelson was so mad that he kicked the grill of a Reno ambulance that had been on standby, at the game. That cost the Ath. Dept. a little money.

At least that's what I was told (I wasn't at the game).

Edited by SUMG

I was there along with my 7 month pregnant wife. We flew to Reno on the team plane. We were impressed with how mannerly the football team was. Since it was a charter, a player was chosen to sit in the cockpit for each take off and landing. Although the only name I remember is QB Greg Carter.

The team stayed in Sparks NV. to avoid distractions before the game. When we landed, the sky was blue and the temperature was moderate. At game time, we had every kind of weather possible except sunshine. on of the fans, Larry Wisdom I think, went out and bought a giant roll of plastic and many of the NT fans took shelter from the wind and rain and snow under the plastic.

I may be wrong on this, but I recall this being the first game played in the first 1-AA playoffs ever. And I also remember this game as having the first ever NCAA "shoot out" tie breaker. Per my memory, each team had a first possession with no score, and on the second, we failed to score and Reno kicked a FG to win. And I remember Corky kicked the headlight out of the Reno ambulance. Also a NCAA record.

I don't remember a delay getting back home. Here again, the skies were blue and the temp moderate.

It was a great trip. And I was most proud of my wife who sat through the entire game, cold but without complaint. GMG

I listened to it on the radio. I remember thinking at the time that it was a shame that we couldn't have played the game at Fouts. Imagine my surprise and annoyance years later when I found out from a reliable source that we could have had the game at Fouts. But the administrators at that time turned down the opportunity.

I might have attended the homecoming snow blizzard game of 1976, but I was ""on call" with my new job and had to be close to the phone.

The most memorable/famous/infamous game that I attended was the 88 Texas game....... nuf said. <_<

Edited by SilverEagle

I was there along with my 7 month pregnant wife. We flew to Reno on the team plane. We were impressed with how mannerly the football team was. Since it was a charter, a player was chosen to sit in the cockpit for each take off and landing. Although the only name I remember is QB Greg Carter.

The team stayed in Sparks NV. to avoid distractions before the game. When we landed, the sky was blue and the temperature was moderate. At game time, we had every kind of weather possible except sunshine. on of the fans, Larry Wisdom I think, went out and bought a giant roll of plastic and many of the NT fans took shelter from the wind and rain and snow under the plastic.

I may be wrong on this, but I recall this being the first game played in the first 1-AA playoffs ever. And I also remember this game as having the first ever NCAA "shoot out" tie breaker. Per my memory, each team had a first possession with no score, and on the second, we failed to score and Reno kicked a FG to win. And I remember Corky kicked the headlight out of the Reno ambulance. Also a NCAA record.

I don't remember a delay getting back home. Here again, the skies were blue and the temp moderate.

It was a great trip. And I was most proud of my wife who sat through the entire game, cold but without complaint. GMG

Green Joe, I believe you are correct...I went to two games in Reno and I believe it was the game when Dennis Parker was coaching that involved us not being able to take off for several hours due to the weather. It was really nice being able to fly on the team charter in those days.

That Reno game you are talking about with Dennis Parker was in 1991. Nevada was ranked #1 in I-AA at the time and we had just lost to Oklahoma in Norman 40-2 the week before. We got beat 72-0, which was the worst loss in school history. When the team got back, Parker opened up competition at every position and a true freshman QB got his first start in the next game, which we tied against SW Missouri State. And that is how Mitch Maher got his start at UNT. Now you know the rest of the story...

Silver, you jogged my memory. Now that I think of it, I think we had "first choice" as far as the venue and declined to host the game because of our poor attendance record. It was ours to choose.

Looking at Football Data Warehouse, it appears we had a bye into the second round of the 1AA playoffs that year. Nevada had to go to Idaho St and win to get to play us. Having a bye should have given us home field. Instead, we went there and lost in the Quarterfinals. Nevada lost the next week to Southern Illinois in the Semis. SIU went on to beat Western Carolina in the Finals.

Here a link.

As I remember, there was a financial commitment by the host site and the athletic department at the time didn't think they could sell enough seats to justify hosting the game. Just another in a long line of short sighted decisions by past administrations.

• Upvote 1