Congrats To Tcu, 13-0, Co-National Champions

FirefightnRick

Congratulations to TCU and it's fans.

I too see this as a National Championship for TCU, or at least a Co-Championship along with the winner of the BCS Championship Game.

TCU has been at a level of excellence over the past several years that certainly entitles them to be eligible for championship consideration regardless of conference afiliation. Not being invited to the BCS Championship did not mean they were not worthy.

First, do you think that the media will ever recognize TCU as Co-National Champions? They may very well be considered #2 behind the winner of next week's championship game but, if that game is close, will probably stay at #3.

I have a granddaughter who goes to TCU and I'm glad for her and the TCU fans. But, why such love for TCU? Will they play us, even as much as SMU? No. Are they on our future schedule? No. Will they be future conference mates? When pigs fly.

I don't have anything against TCU and I really like Fort Worth but until they even acknowledge that we exist they'll never sit atop my pedestal.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

$$ talks in College sports....according to this (link), TCU was a Top 10 spender amongst bowl bound teams this year. Not sure this was the David-vs-Goliath many seem to think it was....

Very true. TCU has not been a "little guy" for almost a decade, so some of Patterson's comments are a bit lame, IMO. The bottom line is that TCU neglected their program for years, got left out of the initial realignment when the B12 formed, and finally got their act together again.

TCU has more national championships in football than any other old SWC school not named Texas. Their program was ignored and left fallow for years, and after they were denied membership to the B12, they finally took a look at their program and decided they needed to do something rather than suck hind tit and ride coattails as they had for decades after their heyday in the late '30's and '50's.

Congratulations to TCU for getting serious about funding their program, to Patterson for building it, and to their alumni for finally stepping up again. Their success shows what happens when everyone connected to the program works toward the same goal.

Very good to see TCU go in there and whip a traditional power--although TCU has more national championships, conference titles, and bowl appearances than Wisconsin. But it's always better to keep up the myth of David and Goliath. Makes for a much better story.

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 2

So, if Auburn wins, and in a couple of years they are ruled ineligible and forfeit 12 games due to using a professional quarterback, would TCU be named National Champion?

No, the BCS Title will be vacated, but Auburn would still be National Champions of the Associated Press (the AP refused to vacate USC's '04 title). And technically Auburn's wins wouldn't be forfeited, they'd be vacated.

Ok, so put TCU in the "national title" game over Oregon. I've already explained how super tough the Pac10 was all year and how the Ducks' schedule stacks up. Problem solved, you can go back to being a drone of the BCS media now.

Let’s just say that you have two football teams. Each goes undefeated against their schedule below. Which team played the tougher schedule, A or B?

Team A

New Mexico

At Tennessee

Portland State

At Arizona State

Stanford

At Washington State

UCLA

At USC

Washington

At California

Arizona

At Oregon State

Team B

Oregon State

Tennessee Tech

Baylor

At SMU

At Colorado State

Wyoming

BYU

Air Force

At UNLV

At Utah

San Diego State

At New Mexico

Could TCU beat any team in America? Yes… they could, no doubt. Do they deserve the national title chance MORE than Oregon? No, in my opinion… The 6 bowl teams beaten verses the 5 bowl teams beaten argument is not applicable when you look at the bowls the opponents they beat played in. Heck, Iowa State beat 2 bowl teams... in fact both teams we beat WON their bowls.

If you switch the names (and rankings), Oregon and TCU… they each went undefeated against the others schedule… make a case for me to bump TCU out of #2 and put #3 Oregon in there. If anybody can do it I’m all ears. That is what you are doing if you think TCU should be swapped with Oregon.

The bottom line is this… TCU is a national championship caliber team that doesn’t get the opportunity to prove it through no fault of their own. Sucks for them…

Let’s just say that you have two football teams. Each goes undefeated against their schedule below. Which team played the tougher schedule, A or B?

Team A

New Mexico

At Tennessee

Portland State

At Arizona State

Stanford

At Washington State

UCLA

At USC

Washington

At California

Arizona

At Oregon State

Team B

Oregon State

Tennessee Tech

Baylor

At SMU

At Colorado State

Wyoming

BYU

Air Force

At UNLV

At Utah

San Diego State

At New Mexico

Could TCU beat any team in America? Yes… they could, no doubt. Do they deserve the national title chance MORE than Oregon? No, in my opinion… The 6 bowl teams beaten verses the 5 bowl teams beaten argument is not applicable when you look at the bowls the opponents they beat played in. Heck, Iowa State beat 2 bowl teams... in fact both teams we beat WON their bowls.

If you switch the names (and rankings), Oregon and TCU… they each went undefeated against the others schedule… make a case for me to bump TCU out of #2 and put #3 Oregon in there. If anybody can do it I’m all ears. That is what you are doing if you think TCU should be swapped with Oregon.

The bottom line is this… TCU is a national championship caliber team that doesn’t get the opportunity to prove it through no fault of their own. Sucks for them…

You are proving the point that you are trying to dismiss. TCU is worthy of being called National Champions, and whoever wins the BCS championship is also entitled to be called National Champions as well as BCS Champions.

Team A

#118 New Mexico

#71 At Tennessee

#215 Portland State

#60 At Arizona State

#4 Stanford

#107 At Washington State

#89 UCLA

#41 At USC

#51 Washington

#72 At California

#53 Arizona

#65 At Oregon State

Team B

#65 Oregon State

#194 Tennessee Tech

#52 Baylor

#64 At SMU

#104 At Colorado State

#103 Wyoming

#57 BYU

#29 Air Force

#108 At UNLV

#19 At Utah

#34 San Diego State

#118 At New Mexico

Rankings as of today from RealtimeRPI. Average ranking of Oregon's opponents was 78.83; for TCU, 78.92. If you want to argue that Stanford is more impressive than any win on TCU's schedule outside of Wisconsin, then I would agree. However, to make it sound like Oregon 'ran the gauntlet' where TCU coasted in puts you into Gordon Gee territory.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

You are proving the point that you are trying to dismiss. TCU is worthy of being called National Champions, and whoever wins the BCS championship is also entitled to be called National Champions as well as BCS Champions.

As I said, TCU is certainly a National Champion caliber team. I think Auburn and Oregon are as well. My point is that i don't think TCU is getting jobbed.

Rankings as of today from RealtimeRPI. Average ranking of Oregon's opponents was 78.83; for TCU, 78.92. If you want to argue that Stanford is more impressive than any win on TCU's schedule outside of Wisconsin, then I would agree. However, to make it sound like Oregon 'ran the gauntlet' where TCU coasted in puts you into Gordon Gee territory.

Ok, I’ll try this again.

Pretend the only thing different right now is the name on the uniform. TCU is Oregon and Oregon is TCU. Both are undefeated against the other’s schedule. My guess is that there wouldn’t be anybody here, or in the media for that matter, upset that Oregon didn’t get into the championship game. Take the names off of the uniforms and there isn’t enough to switch the teams. As you pointed out, the Realtime RPI is basically the same.

Besides, according to your rankings Oregon played six road games against opponent’s average rank of 69.3 while TCU played five road games against opponents that averaged a rank of 82.2. This makes Oregon’s schedule tougher :P

I don’t think Gordon Gee territory is anywhere close to being reached.

• Upvote 1

Ok, I’ll try this again.

Pretend the only thing different right now is the name on the uniform. TCU is Oregon and Oregon is TCU. Both are undefeated against the other’s schedule. My guess is that there wouldn’t be anybody here, or in the media for that matter, upset that Oregon didn’t get into the championship game. Take the names off of the uniforms and there isn’t enough to switch the teams. As you pointed out, the Realtime RPI is basically the same.

Besides, according to your rankings Oregon played six road games against opponent’s average rank of 69.3 while TCU played five road games against opponents that averaged a rank of 82.2. This makes Oregon’s schedule tougher :P

I don’t think Gordon Gee territory is anywhere close to being reached.

Nah, I wouldn't switch the teams in the rankings. Like I said, I think Oregon's win over Stanford is a more impressive win than anything on TCU's schedule. All things being equal (as they obviously are), I think that puts them over the top. My beef is more with the system that produces two undefeated teams who will never play each other.

• Upvote 1