I Don't Think Some Of You Get It

emmitt01

Give up Emmitt and quit crying good god we have a new coach and you already trying to beat him up.

So then I can put you down as a "no" when it comes to being that brave. I just want you to stand behind the standard you set for Canales and now are obviously unable to apply to McCarney. It's not McCarney I'm beating up, nor you actually. I'd just like for some on this board to be consistent, to actually put their money where their mouths are. Too much to ask? Probably, but a guy can hope.

So then I can put you down as a "no" when it comes to being that brave. I just want you to stand behind the standard you set for Canales and now are obviously unable to apply to McCarney. It's not McCarney I'm beating up, nor you actually. I'd just like for some on this board to be consistent, to actually put their money where their mouths are. Too much to ask? Probably, but a guy can hope.

What did Canales really do, he beat WKY and Monroe? I would have bet Dodge would have to. Yes he did motivate the team but I am not convinced that any good Coordinator could not do the same. Plus if you have noticed most teams do have an emotional high of some sort and even win after a coach is fired mid season. I am saying is time to move on and not get caught up in what an interim coach did.

What did Canales really do, he beat WKY and Monroe? I would have bet Dodge would have to. Yes he did motivate the team but I am not convinced that any good Coordinator could not do the same. Plus if you have noticed most teams do have an emotional high of some sort and even win after a coach is fired mid season. I am saying is time to move on and not get caught up in what an interim coach did.

But that's not really the question here now is it? We're not discussing what any good Coordinator could do, we're discussing what our next head football coach can and should do. If we're saying that Canales' accomplishments really were that easily dismissed then we must agree that the guy we're about to hand half a million dollars will do better than an interim coach and his "emotional high." If you can't go on record as saying this is true then I wonder why we didn't just keep Canales. Simple enough?

Now you're just talking out your ass. Plain and simple.

Edited by Green P1

Ummm he did not beat ULM due to piss poor defense, but he did beat pre-season contender MTSU and destroyed WKU. Dodge only eeked by WKU 2 straight years and was beaten to a pulp every year by MTSU.

Wish Canales luck wherever he ends up and hope Mccarney proves many wrong. Maybe by the time he leaves UNT he will be around -15 under .500.

We should thank Coach Canales and staff and the Mean Green for a great time yesterday. I personally have never seen North Texas go toe-to-toe with a heavyweight for 12 rounds before. There were some particularly great calls and a high level of energy from the players. The game was a real milestone. Even in the heyday several years ago, I think you have to admit those teams would have been blown out against this level of competition, as they always were.

It is extremely encouraging that UNT has come up with a compensation package as has been reported. I don’t know how they did it.

On the other hand, I have looked at Coach M’s record at ISU; it is there if you look him up on Wikipedia. To me it is not encouraging and I wonder whether the compensation package is justified. It took five years to get to a winning record. He has gone on record as doggedly sticking to a certain program or system. We have seen way too much of that in the last two coaches with disappointing results. I have the same feeling I did when they hired Dodge. It is not a feeling of excitement; it is one of wondering what they are thinking, recognizing that it could work out but not really being very optimistic about it.

After what I saw last night I might have been more excited if they came out and said we’re giving Coach C a shot and using the extra money to lock down some truly outstanding position coaches. I still would have been most excited if we stole someone else’s head coach. At least I don’t have to recommend stealing SMU’s stadium anymore. That only took 10 years.

Come on man, why is it so hard to go on record? Surely a guy with "real skins on the wall" and "D1 head coaching experience" should be able to get us to a bowl in the lowly Sunbelt, right? And since K-State and their 7 wins was obviously an overrated squad (hell, lil' ol' North Texas ran all over them right?) then we should expect similiar results from day one from McCarney.

A bowl bid in year one? Why are you badgering him to expect more wins from McCarney in one season than most fans here expected from Dodge in four?

I'd like to see UNT compete for the Sun Belt championship in year one. I think it's ridiculous to expect it, however.

• Upvote 1

A bowl bid in year one? Why are you badgering him to expect more wins from McCarney in one season than most fans here expected from Dodge in four?

I'd like to see UNT compete for the Sun Belt championship in year one. I think it's ridiculous to expect it, however.

Im not the one who said all wins against Belt teams are worthless. I didnt disparage K-State. Surely, if what Canales did is so easy and meaningless then nothing less than a bowl should be expected.

Im not the one who said all wins against Belt teams are worthless. I didnt disparage K-State. Surely, if what Canales did is so easy and meaningless then nothing less than a bowl should be expected.

You are so over the top, yes most any good coordinator could have done what Canales did.

• Downvote 3

Mike Canales, the guy some of you want to discount as "not having enough experience" or as nothing more than a "feel good story", has done nothing less than have the best job interview I've seen in a long, long, long, time. Let's review.

He has two wins as our head coach. Doesn't seem like much but let's really consider it. His two Sunbelt losses are to Troy and ULM. The belt will have two bowl eligible teams this season, FIU and Troy, and one, ULM, who would have gone bowling but for a close loss to ULL today. I know, I know, no Sunbelt team is any good and blah blah blah. Aren't we all on here singing McCarney's praises though because "any decent coach could get us back to the top of this conference"? Your words, not mine. If we can give Dan McCarney token faith because he may get us back to the top of the very conference you guys want to tear down when it comes to Canales then where does our double standard end?

He took over Todd Dodge's team. The same team with a literal MASH unit standing on the sidelines. The same team that some of you wanted to use as justification for bringing Dodge back again because no coach could supposedly be expected to win with the deck stacked against him like this. What did he do? Only make them believe in themselves and this program again. Only cause them to have a meeting with RV after the game today to plead for THEIR coach's job. Keep your skins on the wall. To turn around a program like North Texas, one without the resources of even an Iowa State, THIS is what it will take.

We just got done playing K-State to within 8 points. Eight points. And all it took for them to beat this coach you want to discount is:

1)Three dropped interceptions

2)Playing Baine, a backup (actually fourth string), quarterback for a large part of the fourth quarter

3)A shanked punt

4)Amazingly, only two penalties against the Wildcats all game long

This is the same K-State team who is now 7-5. The same K-State team that put up a whole 10 points less, but surrendered 27 less, against the UT team so many of you want to defend at every turn (houstonmeangreen, thoughts?). The list of teams K-State managed to beat by more than eight this season...UT, Kansas, and UCLA. Am I saying K-State are world beaters? No, not at all. But let's keep some perspective. The last time we lined up against K-State we lost 45-6 (that was a 5 win Wildcat team). When was the last time we stayed on the field against a AQ team for an ENTIRE four quarters? I'll wait.......................... (And if you want to mention that Baylor game bear in mind that we were in the midst of one of our marches to New Orleans at the time)

I don't believe McCarney will do anything that Mike Canales couldn't have done. And when/if we sit here having this same tired discussion four years from now please don't try to burn RV at the stake. His words to me after the game, "I want you to know I do listen to the kids, but some decisions are not mine alone to make." So when you want to build that statue for Rawlins or Neinas at the new stadium remember that McCarney is on their head too, if not more.

come on man.. did you ever play fball?

It is extremely encouraging that UNT has come up with a compensation package as has been reported. I dont know how they did it.

Most likely due to the residual funds remaining from the dedicated athletics fee after debt service on the stadium. Thank God for our students approving it. Now we need to raise it to the maximum $20.00/hour, as quickly as possible (to match what freakin' UTSA and TSU-SM and others within the state are already charging).

Edited by UNTX

So a HC with previous HC experience can do better? Like 5-0 better against the same teams?

Maybe or maybe not you understand it is typical for teams to get fired up after their head coaches get fired. I think you guys are way over crediting Chico. I wanted a clean slate, and there was no real way to tell how Canales would do or if his approach would work long term. Not even getting into what kind of staff he could put together or how his overall recruiting would go. Meaning he was still a huge risk.

I do not see the difference in risk between a Canales who is ready and a DM who came from a losing program.

I wanted either a high potential college coach ready to take charge, which is what Canales showed me in a month or a coach from a winning program! Is that really too much to ask for? This oh so important amazing hire and then you crank the jack in the box and it gets stuck. I am sorry I just wanted to be way more excited about this hire than the reality that is.

gmg

I do not see the difference in risk between a Canales who is ready and a DM who came from a losing program.

I wanted either a high potential college coach ready to take charge, which is what Canales showed me in a month or a coach from a winning program! Is that really too much to ask for? This oh so important amazing hire and then you crank the jack in the box and it gets stuck. I am sorry I just wanted to be way more excited about this hire than the reality that is.

gmg

I was not excited either but the more I have looked into DanMac the more excited I have gotten. I really like the Fry connection as a side note.

• Downvote 1