I Don't Think Some Of You Get It

emmitt01

You are talking to a fan base that has not seen a "mean green" football team resemble a D1 program until the last five games under Coach C. It has made me happy just to see us not look like a complete joke. These last five games looked like football games. You know, two teams trying to win.

But, I'm standing right next to you in the choir.

"May as well have beat them," but didn't actually beat them.

I hope like hell that under Coach McCarney we can stop celebrating moral victories.

A loss is still a loss. Kansas State had one of the worst rushing defenses in the country. We had them 20-7 and couldn't finish them off.

The bigger story, as Emmitt pointed out & GoMeanGreen1999 seized on, is obviously that Rawlins isn't letting RV make the decision alone.

Do we know all the ins and outs of how the decision was made? Do we have any reason to believe that this decision went against RV's wishes? Do we know that RV didn't solicit the advice of Rawlins and Neinas? It is because of Neinas coming in this past summer that RV was able to get the BOR to approve higher coaches' salaries. If he and Rawlins both thought enough of Neinas to go with his primary recommendation, it would be hard to blame them.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

How is winning at a B12 school harder than Any other mid major program??? Conference prestige, bowl payout & availability, and athletic budget puts you at a whole other level to begin with.

When you're in Ames, IA you're recruiting out of state players. Their recruits are not much better than those that SBelt schools land. Trying playing week in, week out with our level of talent in the Big XII.

Yes and their run defense was ranked 117 out 120 going into our game.

Always count on you to tear down anything that Canales has done with the team. Troy sucks this year, MTSU was horrible, FAU stinks, Kansas State is horrible this year.

Yippee hope you feel much better now. Mccarney better come in and turn some heads, there should be no 3-4 year wait and see when his recruits all get here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Always count on you to tear down anything that Canales has done with the team. Troy sucks this year, MTSU was horrible, FAU stinks, Kansas State is horrible this year.

Yippee hope you feel much better now. Mccarney better come in and turn some heads, there should be no 3-4 year wait and see when his recruits all get here.

Truth hurts sometimes.

So Rawlins didn't think someone hired on an interim basis showed enough in a short period of time to give him the full time gig?

Good thing the powers that be didn't have that same attitude toward him.

What the hell has he done in his short time here to deserve his job?

Those two things have nothing to do with each other. Keep trying. I'm sure they are going to change their minds if you keep coming up with zingers.

Truth hurts sometimes.

Then I can get you to go on record RIGHT NOW as saying anything less than beating our OOC foes (and all of the "sucky" SBC teams) from day 1 is a failure then, right? We shouldn't expect him to do anything less than improve over what Canales did, deal? Surely you wouldn't be so hypocritical and agenda driven as to hold Canales to a different standard than the guy so many of you are already on board with...or would you? So how 'bout it? I can put KingDL down as saying RIGHT NOW that McCarney will be a success right out of the gate! Awesome, now I know who to direct my ire at if I'm not watching us in a bowl next season.

Then I can get you to go on record RIGHT NOW as saying anything less than beating our OOC foes (and all of the "sucky" SBC teams) from day 1 is a failure then, right? We shouldn't expect him to do anything less than improve over what Canales did, deal? Surely you wouldn't be so hypocritical and agenda driven as to hold Canales to a different standard than the guy so many of you are already on board with...or would you? So how 'bout it? I can put KingDL down as saying RIGHT NOW that McCarney will be a success right out of the gate! Awesome, now I know who to direct my ire at if I'm not watching us in a bowl next season.

I could care less about Canales, if you think he cared about UNT anymore then the shot at Head Coach you are mistaken. Second I never found him to be an exceptional coach, maybe an exceptional coach next to Dodge but does that really tell you anything. Just because several on here made some hypothetical situation where if Canales won X games he deserves to be HC several are upset, but that was never a real condition of the hiring process nor should it. I did not have the love affair with Chico that several here seem to I think any quality FBS coordinator could had similar results. Many here would do better to think with their heads rather than there hearts.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Well, like I've posted several times...we will know when we know and it now looks like WE KNOW! Not my first choice. The guy i wanted did one heck of a job yesterday against a Big XII team. he has these kids believing in themselves and believing that they can and will win. The kids are having fun and it shows. Too bad we all will not get the chance to see how Canales would do as our HC full-time, but, the decision is made, and I'll support Coach Mac as he tries to lead the Mean green back from the wilderness of the SBC.

I was yelling "SO JUST HIRE THE GUY" through most of the game yesterday, alas it won't be so. I think this was RV's decision, but that he had some major input from some others who wield some pretty good sized "inputs". So be it..."The King is Dead, Long Live the King".

I am now looking forward to the next chapter and a return to winning in the SBC! Go Mean Green.

BTW...great job Coach Canales, you did everything and more that was asked of you. The players and fans responded, and you were on your way to winning the community over as well. I hope you'll stay part of the coaching staff, but after this "audition", i think there will be plenty of opportunities for you to be someone's next head coach. I wish you nothing but the very best of success and a great career as a HC going forward. You have earned my respect and I suspect the respect of many more as well. Fair skies and following winds, Coach. My hat is off to you and you have my sincerest thanks for a job well done!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Canales went 2-3 or a 40% winning percentage. If Mac wins 5 games and goes 5-7 will you say he had as much success as Canales?

Well, like I've posted several times...we will know when we know and it now looks like WE KNOW! Not my first choice. The guy i wanted did one heck of a job yesterday against a Big XII team. he has these kids believing in themselves and believing that they can and will win. The kids are having fun and it shows. Too bad we all will not get the chance to see how Canales would do as our HC full-time, but, the decision is made, and I'll support Coach Mac as he tries to lead the Mean green back from the wilderness of the SBC.

I was yelling "SO JUST HIRE THE GUY" through most of the game yesterday, alas it won't be so. I think this was RV's decision, but that he had some major input from some others who wield some pretty good sized "inputs". So be it..."The King is Dead, Long Live the King".

I am now looking forward to the next chapter and a return to winning in the SBC! Go Mean Green.

BTW...great job Coach Canales, you did everything and more that was asked of you. The players and fans responded, and you were on your way to winning the community over as well. I hope you'll stay part of the coaching staff, but after this "audition", i think there will be plenty of opportunities for you to be someone's next head coach. I wish you nothing but the very best of success and a great career as a HC going forward. You have earned my respect and I suspect the respect of many more as well. Fair skies and following winds Fair Winds and Following Seas, Coach. My hat is off to you and you have my sincerest thanks for a job well done!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Fixed...good post.

Canales went 2-3 or a 40% winning percentage. If Mac wins 5 games and goes 5-7 will you say he had as much success as Canales?

No. Considering the situation Canales was put in (mid-season promotion with a depleted team) I'll say this though. IF, in his first season, McCarney does better than 2-3 against the following teams...MUTS, ULM, WKU, Troy and insert AQ team...then I'll say he had better success.

I could care less about Canales, if you think he cared about UNT anymore then the shot at Head Coach you are mistaken. Second I never found him to be an exceptional coach, maybe an exceptional coach next to Dodge but does that really tell you anything. Just because several on here made some hypothetical situation where if Canales won X games he deserves to be HC several are upset, but that was never a real condition of the hiring process nor should it. I did not have the love affair with Chico that several here seem to I think any quality FBS coordinator could had similar results. Many here would do better to think with their heads rather than there hearts.

Oh how clever. Paint those that wanted a coach with actual, tangible, on field results as being all misty eyed and sentimental. I guess when logic fails you there's always distraction.

But you still didn't answer my question. Can I put you on record as saying anything less than a bowl bid is failure? Surely I can since you have stated, repeatedly, that wins over Sunbelt teams mean nothing (and should therefore be easy from day one) since Canales did nothing more than beat a couple teams from the worst conference in America. Your standard, not mine. Come on man, why is it so hard to go on record? Surely a guy with "real skins on the wall" and "D1 head coaching experience" should be able to get us to a bowl in the lowly Sunbelt, right? And since K-State and their 7 wins was obviously an overrated squad (hell, lil' ol' North Texas ran all over them right?) then we should expect similiar results from day one from McCarney. Geez, it's not like I'm asking you to make McCarney your sentimental favorite, just asking you to "think with your head" as you like to put it. So, and actually answer the question this time, are you willing to put a guarantee next to your bluster?

No. Considering the situation Canales was put in (mid-season promotion with a depleted team) I'll say this though. IF, in his first season, McCarney does better than 2-3 against the following teams...MUTS, ULM, WKU, Troy and insert AQ team...then I'll say he had better success.

Oh how clever. Paint those that wanted a coach with actual, tangible, on field results as being all misty eyed and sentimental. I guess when logic fails you there's always distraction.

But you still didn't answer my question. Can I put you on record as saying anything less than a bowl bid is failure? Surely I can since you have stated, repeatedly, that wins over Sunbelt teams mean nothing (and should therefore be easy from day one) since Canales did nothing more than beat a couple teams from the worst conference in America. Your standard, not mine. Come on man, why is it so hard to go on record? Surely a guy with "real skins on the wall" and "D1 head coaching experience" should be able to get us to a bowl in the lowly Sunbelt, right? And since K-State and their 7 wins was obviously an overrated squad (hell, lil' ol' North Texas ran all over them right?) then we should expect similiar results from day one from McCarney. Geez, it's not like I'm asking you to make McCarney your sentimental favorite, just asking you to "think with your head" as you like to put it. So, and actually answer the question this time, are you willing to put a guarantee next to your bluster?

Give up Emmitt and quit crying good god we have a new coach and you already trying to beat him up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1