The Balance Of Patience And Opportunity

Harry

Very good article; well written. If NT decides to go with the experienced coach, ie. Fran, Leavitt, Bower, that's fine. I only hope they still have that fire in their belly as Chico appears to have. IMHO, give me someone who loves this university and WANTS to be here, rather than just looking to get back in the game. I believe Chico has that fire and should strongly be considered as our next HC. The teams' performance the last three weeks is not a coincidence.

• Upvote 1

Besides the OU guy when will we get another to compare with a 25 year journeyman "assistant" coach who for whatever reason he and his politicos have some sense of entitlement for this job at "OUR" school?

Hey, 25 years as an assistant and now North Texas is the chosen school to make his HFC's debut with wins over pathetically weak SBC schools as his measuring stick? Who at North Texas will be able to use those cognitive skills to interpret that alone?

Something is beginning to smell afoul with all of this "hurry up & make this happen" M.O. and I hope the right ones on campus will just do more research here.

Can he recruit Texas? (So UNT would give him a 5 year contract as to get the answer to that question)? How many more 5 year plans do we really want in Denton? Seems we've really had our quota of those the last umpteen years.

I hope this Prez' and the BOR's will really think about the P.R. aspects of what they are going to do very soon--no matter the hire.

I defer to the signature below:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

Besides the OU guy when will we get another to compare with a 25 year journeyman "assistant" coach who for whatever reason he and his politicos have some sense of entitlement for this job at "OUR" school?

Hey, 25 years as an assistant and now North Texas is the chosen school to make his HFC's debut with wins over pathetically weak SBC schools as his measuring stick? Who at North Texas will be able to use those cognitive skills to interpret that alone?

Something is beginning to smell afoul with all of this "hurry up & make this happen" M.O. and I hope the right ones on campus will just do more research here.

Can he recruit Texas? (So UNT would give him a 5 year contract as to get the answer to that question)? How many more 5 year plans do we really want in Denton? Seems we've really had our quota of those the last umpteen years.

I hope this Prez' and the BOR's will really think about the P.R. aspects of what they are going to do very soon--no matter the hire.

I defer to the signature below:

Well Jimmy I agree, let's hope the University President and BOR's can handle this decision on their own. With the PR aspects of what they are going to do very soon; they may need an objective well connected resource like yourself. I nominate you to be the unbiased voice of the people to choose our next HC. I know this would take you out of your comfort zone, but please don't hold back. Let everyone know how you really feel (over and over and over and over and over again).

Edited by SAM Coach
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well Jimmy I agree, let's hope the University President and BOR's can handle this decision on their own. With the PR aspects of what they are going to do very soon; they may need an objective well connected resource like yourself. I nominate you to be the unbiased voice of the people to choose our next HC. I know this would take you out of your comfort zone, but please don't hold back. Let everyone know how you really feel (over and over and over and over and over again).

There's a lot Plumm has been saying lately that I don't agree with either, but quit stalking him. It's downright creepy.

I can't believe we just upset a Big 12 team in front of one of the 10 biggest crowds our stadium has ever seen and there are still jackholes over here arguing about the coaching search.

News flash: Hire whoever works cheapest. Plow the rest of the money into retaining Johnny Jones. If Canales will work for canned food and loose change he finds in the furniture, f*** it. Keep him. If not, pick up a homeless guy and put his ass on the sidelines next year.

You people missed a great night.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Hey guys, been gone for awhile. What did I miss? Why are these two fighting so much? What's the back story?

Answers to the above 3 questions:

1. North Texas fired coach Todd Dodge.

2. They disagree over who should be Dodge's permanent replacement.

3. One wants to hire the interim head coach as permanent; the other doesn't. You guess which.

Also, and not entirely unrelated, the men's basketball team appears headed for a historically successful year, and if so, we may need to come up with a lot of money to keep him here next year.

• Upvote 1

Good feedback! I wouldn't want to be perceived as a poster who says the same thing over and over and over again.

I'm guessing you realize the irony of what you posted, but I'm not sure. And I still support hiring Mike Canales as the next head coach, in spite of everything you're doing to discourage that.

I can't believe we just upset a Big 12 team in front of one of the 10 biggest crowds our stadium has ever seen and there are still jackholes over here arguing about the coaching search.

News flash: Hire whoever works cheapest. Plow the rest of the money into retaining Johnny Jones. If Canales will work for canned food and loose change he finds in the furniture, f*** it. Keep him. If not, pick up a homeless guy and put his ass on the sidelines next year.

+1, although I'm putting myself down as a jackhole now! Can't make it to weeknight sports games since I work this damn job, but I'll regret missing this one for a long time.

+1, although I'm putting myself down as a jackhole now! Can't make it to weeknight sports games since I work this damn job, but I'll regret missing this one for a long time.

Next Tuesday: Rice. I'll save you a front row seat.

And if you have to wait for a weekend game, I'll have one for you then.

I'm guessing you realize the irony of what you posted, but I'm not sure. And I still support hiring Mike Canales as the next head coach, in spite of everything you're doing to discourage that.

Agreed.... SAM Coach, You need to be easy on the attacking.

I was once told that you attract more Bees with Honey.

And Tasty is right, just like last Saturday was a night was to celebrate for the Football Team, tonight is for the Basketball Team. Huge Win for the University!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Agreed.... SAM Coach, You need to be easy on the attacking.

I was once told that you attract more Bees with Honey.

And Tasty is right, just like last Saturday was a night was to celebrate for the Football Team, tonight is for the Basketball Team. Huge Win for the University!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Back to commenting about the article:

"These are big questions. Questions which, as a fanbase, we can only hope are being sincerely pondered by decision makers. Anything less would be unbefitting of a first-rate university."

Very good article, and this ending line is sooooo dead on.

Kansas. Friday NIght. Can't wait.

I heard the new toilet paper in the Administration Building is a bit rough. Something about V Lane ordering that all of PMG's letters to him should be used for a better cause.

Wonder if he even read them?

Actually, I am satisified with the response from the President's Office. (And I sent them a box of Charmin from Sams Club as it is).

It was actually one of my better letters with full statistics & past history to back up most said and I guess I've most always communicated letter to every UNT president since Jitter Nolen. And some of you haven't and if not "why not" because in this country we still have Freedom of Speech last time I checked the interet; albeit we now have a new Internet Czar. :ph34r: Czar? I thought only Russia had Czars. :rolleyes:

But no, today is a Mean Green Day to savor with a Big 12 win last night. No epistles and no rants but short stuff, maybe just icons smiley faces only (unless I'm absolutely called out but probably not even then.

Congrats to Coach Johnny Jones & team beating the kind of schools that will IMHO make our basketball program be in the next few year (or earlier) the first UNT major varsity team inside the Top 50 (Top 25?) and it won' take him 35 years to make that happen, either. Of course, how old will each of us be in 35 years? :(

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 2

I guess I've most always communicated letter to every UNT president since Jitter Nolen. A

Why not interject an appropriate Simpsons quote?

“Dear Mr. President, There are too many states nowadays. Please eliminate three. P.S. I am not a crackpot.”

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Al Hurley tried that, guess what, we are in Texas.

The football program is going to be THE DRIVER for public perception of the University as a whole, not just the athletic program.