New North Texas Head Coach Poll

Harry

Here's my take on what our two-step, long-term plan of action should be -

#1. We need to hire a head coach with recognized brand equity - a "name" coach with experience and success at an FBS school. A mutually beneficial relationship - he can use North Texas as his stepping stone to another high profile job while we can use his name recognition to immediately restore credibility to our once proud football program while instantly kick-starting/revitalizing the otherwise dead recruiting process. He must be a coach that has FBS level "skins" on the wall and he must be someone that 17, 18 and 19 year old recruits have heard of, will respect and want to play football for. If this coach is only at UNT 2-3 years, that will (hopefully) mean that he's won at North Texas and returned to higher profile program. This would be the ideal scenario for North Texas because we would be winning and playing in bowl games. At the same, it shows future UNT coaches that UNT is a place where aspirational coaches can prove their worth to more established programs with larger athletic budgets and a legitimate chance to win a national championship each year. And that leads me to...

#2. Provided #1 materializes, our football program will be reestablished and successful and our roster will be loaded with talent. This is when we look for that hungry, young, "up and coming" coach. Perhaps he was an assistant on #1's staff, an OC/DC at an FBS school with no prior HC experience or an upstart FCS HC looking to elevate to the next level. Regardless, he will be put in a perfect position to succeed rather than fail. All the pieces would be in place and he'd be able to build upon the success his predecessor created. He'd still need to be a strong candidate with a successful resume but, rather than having to rely solely on the brand recognition of his own name, he'd be able to lean more heavily on the brand recognition UNT will have. If this coach was highly successful at UNT, I'd expect him to be gone in 5-7 years.

This is the reality of our situation. For those of you looking for a coach that will stick with UNT for 10-15 years, I'm afraid that's not going to happen...not if he has the success we all want to have. If you're satisfied with a coach that will go 7-5 every year, with an occasional 8-4 thrown in, then maybe that's possible. But, until we increase our athletic budget and routinely crack the top 25 we're just going to be a pit stop on the road to success for any aspiring coach to be. Maybe after 10-15 years of continued success and top 10 rankings, we'll be able to afford to keep a great coach?

So, if I have a son who is good enough to play D I ball and has several options, I am supposed to want him to play for a coach that has been accused of mistreating players. Maybe they all do, but I doubt I am going to be in love with one that has publicly been released for such action. Remember, the player we want is good enough to have choices.

So, if I have a son who is good enough to play D I ball and has several options, I am supposed to want him to play for a coach that has been accused of mistreating players. Maybe they all do, but I doubt I am going to be in love with one that has publicly been released for such action. Remember, the player we want is good enough to have choices.

Actually, he's been accused of mistreating a player...singular. In his thirteen years at South Florida he's likely been exposed to the antics of maybe 1,500 players and there has been only one malfeasance that has surfaced publicly.

What he did was wrong and although it occasionally happens, getting physical with players should never be condoned although you and I know that there are some that will provoke others. Since the circumstances haven't really gone public I don't know whether there was provocation in this case or not.

The absolute worst at getting physical with his players was Woody Hayes. Yet, for a long period of time he seemed to recruit some of the best players in the country; players that were all-Americans and Heisman Trophy winners. Someone's sons played (and played well) for Woody.

No one is perfect. The coach was fired and hopefully learned his lesson. He could coach another thirteen years and it not happen again. If it does, he should know that he likely won't get another chance at a third strike.

Edited by GrayEagle

Actually, he's been accused of mistreating a player...singular. In his thirteen years at South Florida he's likely been exposed to the antics of maybe 1,500 players and there has been only one malfeasance that has surfaced publicly.

What he did was wrong and although it occasionally happens, getting physical with players should never be condoned although you and I know that there are some that will provoke others. Since the circumstances haven't really gone public I don't know whether there was provocation in this case or not.

The absolute worst at getting physical with his players was Woody Hayes. Yet, for a long period of time he seemed to recruit some of the best players in the country; players that were all-Americans and Heisman Trophy winners. Someone's sons played (and played well) for Woody.

No one is perfect. The coach was fired and hopefully learned his lesson. He could coach another thirteen years and it not happen again. If it does, he should know that he likely won't get another chance at a third strike.

And, as someone said let's not forget the kid involved in the incident himself said it wasn't that big of deal... that the coach just gets emotional sometimes. He didn't press charges or demand to be released from his ship etc that I ever read. I know Leavitt gets emotional. Canales would be a good character reference about him, knowing first hand what makes him tick.

And, as someone said let's not forget the kid involved in the incident himself said it wasn't that big of deal... that the coach just gets emotional sometimes. He didn't press charges or demand to be released from his ship etc that I ever read. I know Leavitt gets emotional. Canales would be a good character reference about him, knowing first hand what makes him tick.

That is a bigtime fact. If the player who was supposedly mistreated said don't worry about it, maybe the rest of us should take his advice.

How can you mistreat a football player????? you can't physically. sic Dr. Phil on him during practice and get to his "real emotional feelings?"

Tell us how he mistreated this ONE player?

• Downvote 1

It wasn't just Joel Miller that said it didn't happen...

A person identified as a Florida State Highway Patrol trooper close to former South Florida coach Jim Leavitt says Leavitt did not mistreat former walk-on Joel Miller, according to a document obtained by CBSSports.com.

Leavitt attorney Will Florin says the document contains information that was "suppressed" by South Florida officials after they interviewed the trooper during an investigation into Leavitt's conduct.

A statement signed by what Florin says is Florida Highway Patrol trooper Benny Perez states that at halftime of the Nov. 21 game against Louisville, "Coach Leavitt did not grab Miller's neck nor did he choke or strike Miller."

Leavitt was fired with cause on Jan. 8 following a three-week investigation by the school. Leavitt was released not only for laying hands on Miller but also impeding the subsequent investigation into the matter, the school said.

Perez would be the third person, though, who has said Leavitt did not mistreat the player since the school's investigation began.

CBS Sports-Dennis Dodd

That is a choice your son or you as parents have to make. In 13 years there was one incident like that which is even a crapshoot at what the real story is...the coach won't have any other problem recruiting the same caliber of players such as your sons. If you don't want to play for him, someone else will. That's the way recruiting go.

• Downvote 1

I'm going to be negative Nancy here and say the Hayden Fry comparisons seem [to me] pretty naive

I completely agree that we want and appreciate te values and things he did here, but the only reason they he keeps coming up is that he won games here, too

Hell, Dodge might have one-upped him off the feld for all I know, but it will be long forgotten because of his lack of success on te field

Point being, winning cures all. Bring in a guy like Leach or (I like) SilverEagles suggestions, and it won't matter if he lives in TCU's dorm and never steps foot in our Union.

Reallyreally hope it isn't Bower.

Edited by greenminer

Does anyone really think Leach is even a remote option? Forget about the money aspect, RV couldn't control Dickey; can you imagine Leach here? It would be fun and I think he would win but highly unlikely. . Out of that group, I would go with Leavitt a proven program builder and to my knowledge never complained about USF lack of resources. Also his character questions seem to be small compared to Leach.

It seems everyone is concentrating only on unemployed coaches, this is a mistake. How about pursuing sucessful employed coaches ? UNT would or should be a step-up for a lot of coaches .Not just assistants or beginning coaches. Go get em

After looking at the records of coach Fran, Leavitt, and Bower, I have a better opinion of who I would like as the next coach. I didn't include Leach because I think he will get a better offer from a bigger program.

Leavitt never had a losing season in the Big East, but also was very average when USF was in C-USA. Also, South Florida has never had a 10 win season. Does he have any recruiting connections in Texas? That said, I think he would do a fine job at UNT.

Bower had a long successful run at Southern Miss, but he too never had a 10 win season. Aside from a few years as a quarterbacks coach at SMU, I don't know if Bower has recruiting connections in Texas either. He's not a widely known name among recruits either. Can he get players excited to come to North Texas? That said, I don't know if he would be better for us then Canales. I guess we will see what Canales can do at WKU.

Coach Fran has won everywhere he has been, and he has been to the top of the college football world (Alabama). He has had two 10 win seasons, one at TCU, and one at Alabama. He did struggle at A&M, but he was also coaching and recruiting against Stoops, Brown, and Leach. That said, he still posted an overall winning record at A&M. The recruits in Texas know who he is, and he has all the recruiting connections after having coached at both A&M and TCU.

Of these coaches I think Coach Fran is the best option for North Texas. We play in the Sun Belt. With coach Fran I think North Texas would dominate the conference and upset several out of conference teams. I feel Fran would bring new fans to the games, and needed media attention. With conference realignment always in the back of our minds, I think coach Fran would give us the best chance to make a move up. When the search firm (probably Chuck Neinas) gives its recommendation to North Texas I think coach Fran will be the top name on the list. It just makes too much sense.

After looking at the records of coach Fran, Leavitt, and Bower, I have a better opinion of who I would like as the next coach. I didn't include Leach because I think he will get a better offer from a bigger program.

Leavitt never had a losing season in the Big East, but also was very average when USF was in C-USA. Also, South Florida has never had a 10 win season. Does he have any recruiting connections in Texas? That said, I think he would do a fine job at UNT.

Bower had a long successful run at Southern Miss, but he too never had a 10 win season. Aside from a few years as a quarterbacks coach at SMU, I don't know if Bower has recruiting connections in Texas either. He's not a widely known name among recruits either. Can he get players excited to come to North Texas? That said, I don't know if he would be better for us then Canales. I guess we will see what Canales can do at WKU.

Coach Fran has won everywhere he has been, and he has been to the top of the college football world (Alabama). He has had two 10 win seasons, one at TCU, and one at Alabama. He did struggle at A&M, but he was also coaching and recruiting against Stoops, Brown, and Leach. That said, he still posted an overall winning record at A&M. The recruits in Texas know who he is, and he has all the recruiting connections after having coached at both A&M and TCU.

Of these coaches I think Coach Fran is the best option for North Texas. We play in the Sun Belt. With coach Fran I think North Texas would dominate the conference and upset several out of conference teams. I feel Fran would bring new fans to the games, and needed media attention. With conference realignment always in the back of our minds, I think coach Fran would give us the best chance to make a move up. When the search firm (probably Chuck Neinas) gives its recommendation to North Texas I think coach Fran will be the top name on the list. It just makes too much sense.

side wagon jack...you make a good case for Fran...so what High School has he coached at? Anyway....I took think he would be an outstanding choice...I thnik Rv probably is thinking Bower....you could almost hear it in his press conf when he said "or someone who has been out of coaching for a year (then a long pause) or a couple of years". don't really know much about Bower, but someone said he has been out of coaching times........thats right...2 years!

it will be Leavitt, bower or Fran....almost a certainty....Fran would perhaps be the best..I really don't know!

side wagon jack...you make a good case for Fran...so what High School has he coached at? Anyway....I took think he would be an outstanding choice...I thnik Rv probably is thinking Bower....you could almost hear it in his press conf when he said "or someone who has been out of coaching for a year (then a long pause) or a couple of years". don't really know much about Bower, but someone said he has been out of coaching times........thats right...2 years!

it will be Leavitt, bower or Fran....almost a certainty....Fran would perhaps be the best..I really don't know!

I didn't read that into it as a Freudian slip but guess what? Both Bower and Franchione last coached in 2007, so each has been out of coaching the same amount of time.

I've heard from several sources that Bower is content to stay in southern Mississippi and not uproot his wife's successful business. Parties seem to think that he's through with coaching. I don't know the amount of his annuity and if it's adequate so that he can remain retired. He has yet to apply at any of the several openings since his last season.

Hootenhappylavender... I forgot to mention that Fran's A&M teams beat Texas his last 2 seasons coaching there. Anyway...Bower is a good coach, but I've heard nothing to indicate he is interested in coaching here... Fran interviewed the last time around, so I'd expect him to interview again... RV may like Bower, but I don't think the search firm will select him as the best option for North Texas. Just my opinion.