Dodge Will Have Another Job Before December

All this talk about him going back to high school is ridiculous. You've got guys out there who climbed the ladder from high school to college - Art Briles, Gus Malzahn, Todd Graham, Chad Morris....

Dodge, if he choses to do so, will be on a college coaching staff next season; and, probably a BCS staff. I guarantee you he'll have calls today.

It's not that Dodge wasn't smart or didn't have something. His problem was he brought along too many other people who didn't have as much in their tank as him. Then, he was too loyal to the for too long.

Is that a bad thing? In life generally - no. But, college football is different. If you have a group of guys who collectively don't know what they are doing, they are going to be exploited.

Dodge's coaching staffs were exploited by the like of Bob Stoops, Les Miles, Howard Schnellenberger, Larry Blakeney, David Bailiff, Rick Stockstill, Ricky Bustle...and on and on and on. Coaches with decades of college experience standing across the sideline from him, Ford, and the cuss-patrolling wide receivers coach.

You think back to game one in Oklahoma. Todd Ford calling the shots against Bob Stoops and Brent Venables? Come on. Ron Mendoza trying to scheme against Kevin Wilson and Kevin Sumlin...and with a secondary coach who had been out of the profession for 13 years? It was a joke.

Dodge's main sins were: (1) hanging onto outclassed assistants for too long, (2) misplaying the quarterback position.

The learning curve was steep for Dodge. But, he's not done by a long shot. He can be a position coach, a pass game coordinator, an offensive coordinator, a quarterbacks coach. Heck, John L. Smith is the outside linebacker/special teams coach at Arkansas, for crying out loud!

He's got something. He made some mistakes here. But, he isn't done by a long shot. As alumni and a fan base, it wasn't fun to be part of the "experiment." But, we've got a new stadium on the way, and the hope of RV getting us a coach with experience in building mid-majors like ours.

In the end, Dodge will be fine, we'll be fine. In fact, we're both better off. Dodge can relax and choose among offers. We can began to have hope for the future in our new stadium.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

All this talk about him going back to high school is ridiculous. You've got guys out there who climbed the ladder from high school to college - Art Briles, Gus Malzahn, Todd Graham, Chad Morris....

Dodge, if he choses to do so, will be on a college coaching staff next season; and, probably a BCS staff. I guarantee you he'll have calls today.

It's not that Dodge wasn't smart or didn't have something. His problem was he brought along too many other people who didn't have as much in their tank as him. Then, he was too loyal to the for too long.

Is that a bad thing? In life generally - no. But, college football is different. If you have a group of guys who collectively don't know what they are doing, they are going to be exploited.

Dodge's coaching staffs were exploited by the like of Bob Stoops, Les Miles, Howard Schnellenberger, Larry Blakeney, David Bailiff, Rick Stockstill, Ricky Bustle...and on and on and on. Coaches with decades of college experience standing across the sideline from him, Ford, and the cuss-patrolling wide receivers coach.

You think back to game one in Oklahoma. Todd Ford calling the shots against Bob Stoops and Brent Venables? Come on. Ron Mendoza trying to scheme against Kevin Wilson and Kevin Sumlin...and with a secondary coach who had been out of the profession for 13 years? It was a joke.

Dodge's main sins were: (1) hanging onto outclassed assistants for too long, (2) misplaying the quarterback position.

The learning curve was steep for Dodge. But, he's not done by a long shot. He can be a position coach, a pass game coordinator, an offensive coordinator, a quarterbacks coach. Heck, John L. Smith is the outside linebacker/special teams coach at Arkansas, for crying out loud!

He's got something. He made some mistakes here. But, he isn't done by a long shot. As alumni and a fan base, it wasn't fun to be part of the "experiment." But, we've got a new stadium on the way, and the hope of RV getting us a coach with experience in building mid-majors like ours.

In the end, Dodge will be fine, we'll be fine. In fact, we're both better off. Dodge can relax and choose among offers. We can began to have hope for the future in our new stadium.

Please.

I wonder if Mack Brown and Greg Davis would ever go the "co-offensive coordinator" route. Many schools do these days.

When you've got top of the line players like Texas does, isn't it more like the NFL where the spread offense becomes a situational component of the playbook? I kinda' get where people like Bill Parcells were going with their interest in Dodge a few years ago. Dodge's offensive scheme held potential in certain NFL situations, and we see it used in a number of NFL teams today, but not as an exclusive offensive setup. I would think that he would have to explicitly adopt considerably more depth to his play calling to grab interest from a place like Austin for an OC position.

This is your attempt at humor?

I think this is spot on. He'll more than likely be a D-I QB coach or D-Ia/D-II O-coordinator next year.

All those guys you mentioned also had success at the college level when they first arrived there, which is why they continued to do well. I can see Dodge getting picked up by someone but don't pretend he's some kind of hot commodity. He's a great example of why you never hire a high school coach with little to no college experience as a OC, DC, position coach, etc., as a head coach, especially at a D-1 university. Same thing with college to NFL. Each level is completely different and has a steep learning curve. Why do you feel the need to defend Dodge when he did absolutely nothing to improve the UNT Football program and in fact regressed it? It's like thanking someone for punching you in the face.

Edited by AgandEagle

This not confirmed by any means but I have heard that he has already been in touch/had discussions with SLC to come back. As we all know, they are not happy finishing 3rd in their district. I hear that Wasson is a great guy but that does not put W's on the record. If TD in fact goes back, it will be tough to live up to his own standard. Apparently they have had a talent drop since the early 2000s run.

• Upvote 1

I would think it will be a long time if ever that Dodge is back in college coaching. The perception is that he has been a complete failure at the college level, and I doubt he would even be considered for a coordinator position and I doubt he would want to be just an assistant. He can have his pick of high school jobs and with almost 2 years of pay coming, he can take his time.

I don't consider Dodge a money whore. But, let's face facts. He could make more as an assistant at BCS-level schools like Texas or Oklahoma than he ever could at Southlake.

Plus, with a few seasons under his belt at a BCS-level program, he'd likely be head coach material again.

During the 2007 to 2009 seasons, no one was a bigger critic of the Dodge hire than me. But, look, the guy played soldier to stay on a fourth year under a stricter set of terms from Rick Villareal. If he'd really had an ego problem, or a problem with facing reality, he'd have quit then.

He didn't quit. He gave it a shot with someone else in control. There's no shame in that. Many head coaches do it that way. The game is too complicated these days to run it top down.

I think Dodge learned to delegate. I also think he's learned alot about the different in speed and athletic ability at this level. Consider, except for two seasons at our I-AA North Texas, he'd seen nothing but high school stuff for a couple of decades. The game at this level has changed immensely since he strapped in on for Texas.

He's now seen Oklahoma speed and power. LSU. Kansas State. Clemson. He's aslo gotten a heavy dose of what ahtletes are at the mid-major level. The guy's not dumb. He's loyal. And, I think he's proved he's willing to learn.

Most of us, we're the same way. If things aren't going well at work and someone pulls you aside and says, "You're failing, things are going to be different" it'd be hard to take.

Hey...I've worked for big America corporations and one multinational. I've had my butt called into offices and been given notice that a different set of circumstances will apply to get things going right again. It pissed me off because I believed no one else around me knew what the hell they were doing.

But, the problem is always the same - those wearing different shoes can be more objective. It didn't matter that I poured my heart into the work. I couldn't see the big picture because I was trying to make failing methods work.

Like Todd Dodge, I never quit when called upon to change. You grow. I think he's grown. I don't think you stop growing until the day you die.

He'll be fine; we'll be fine. It didn't work out and there's no shame in that. It's a hard job.

• Upvote 1

yes....I'm sure you are right...now, will that be paper or plastic ?

I would think it will be a long time if ever that Dodge is back in college coaching. The perception is that he has been a complete failure at the college level, and I doubt he would even be considered for a coordinator position and I doubt he would want to be just an assistant. He can have his pick of high school jobs and with almost 2 years of pay coming, he can take his time.

The only people who have called him a "complete failure" are on this board. I did not hear that on The Ticket, Galloway, the news tonight, etc. They all said he did good things, but it came down to 6-37. And that is how a coach's job is measured. But he has not been called a complete failure as you imply.

The only people who have called him a "complete failure" are on this board. I did not hear that on The Ticket, Galloway, the news tonight, etc. They all said he did good things, but it came down to 6-37. And that is how a coach's job is measured. But he has not been called a complete failure as you imply.

Well I don't think people have to actually say it to realize he failed. The record speaks for itself. However that being said he doesn't have to be a coordinator and probably wouldn't get one with a reputable FBS school. He can probably get a positions coaching gig and slowly make his way up. He does have connections to where he can land something can pay the bills.

• Downvote 4

His classy adios at UNT will probably be heard about and will help him get a nice "hola" at his next gig. One can't rule out that Missouri all but gives him sole credit for their offense a few years ago that started a nice win streak for the Tigers. He has a future because his offense will fly at other places where they will be able to recruit toward it.

Good luck, Coach Dodge.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

This not confirmed by any means but I have heard that he has already been in touch/had discussions with SLC to come back. As we all know, they are not happy finishing 3rd in their district. I hear that Wasson is a great guy but that does not put W's on the record. If TD in fact goes back, it will be tough to live up to his own standard. Apparently they have had a talent drop since the early 2000s run.

Didn't some SL boosters make some overtures last year to try and get him to come back? I heard that rumor. I would imagine the athletic director at Southlake will take the fall eventually for the quarterback recruit debacle. Couple a head coaching salary along with an athletic director salary that Southlake would pay, and Dodge comes close to his base salary here.

Didn't some SL boosters make some overtures last year to try and get him to come back? I heard that rumor. I would imagine the athletic director at Southlake will take the fall eventually for the quarterback recruit debacle. Couple a head coaching salary along with an athletic director salary that Southlake would pay, and Dodge comes close to his base salary here.

What you said + a nice little goin away check from UNT + his free Dodge truck deal, + the $25-$30K qb/receiver camp proceeds + the Under Armour contract perk + four more years of mortgage equity build up since leaving SLC. Not to mention a ton less stress. = Not all bad at the end of the day!