Dodge Will Have Another Job Before December

The only people who have called him a "complete failure" are on this board. I did not hear that on The Ticket, Galloway, the news tonight, etc. They all said he did good things, but it came down to 6-37. And that is how a coach's job is measured. But he has not been called a complete failure as you imply.

"North Texas fired coach Todd Dodge on Wednesday, declaring its decision to put a high school coach in charge of a Division I program a failure after 3½ dismal years." -- CBS Sports

"UNT pulled the plug when it became apparent the gamble was a complete failure." -- Brett Vito, Denton Record Chronicle

I think some of the people on this board really have very little understanding of what a good football mind Todd Dodge is and how well respected he is in the college coaching community. I agree with most of what TFLF said and I do believe that if he wants to that Dodge would be able to get an offensive coordinator and/or passing game coordinator job at a major D1 school somewhere. I am also very surprised at the people who claim that Todd Dodge has done nothing for our football program. That is complete bulsh. He has improved our program in pretty much every area except wins. And while I know that wins are all that matter in the end, I still fully believe that had the team that started at Clemson stayed healthy we would have won the Sun Belt.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think some of the people on this board really have very little understanding of what a good football mind Todd Dodge is and how well respected he is in the college coaching community.

I think it would be great if Dodge ended up as an OC at a big school and did a great job there. But I think his reputation in the college ranks is wildly overblown. What has he done to earn respect in the college coaching community? He's a great high school coach, but that's a completely different animal than leading a college program. Dodge's failure here should cement that conventional wisdom.

I think it would be great if Dodge ended up as an OC at a big school and did a great job there. But I think his reputation in the college ranks is wildly overblown. What has he done to earn respect in the college coaching community? He's a great high school coach, but that's a completely different animal than leading a college program. Dodge's failure here should cement that conventional wisdom.

Look, hiring Dodge as head coach was wrong to begin with. I just wasn't smart.

But, guys like Guz Malzhan and Todd Graham were plucked right off high school sidelines to be college assistants. Okay? Those guys climbed the ladder. Malzhan is still climbing it, and has gone from Tulsa to Arkansas to Auburn.

That's the way things should have evolved for Todd Dodge - and still can. He's got something in the tank.

The problem is, again, not only was he inexperienced at this level, but he brought on a coaching staff that was even less experienced than he, and he stayed loyal to them.

It was a mistake. But, I don't think it in any way diminishes his reputation for having a good mind for the game. As a quarterbacks coach, in charge of a group of half a dozen kids, he'd be fine. Being a pass game coordinator or co-offensive coordinator, same thing. I think he can more than handle doing a chunk of game planning.

You also have to factor in that college football coaches may be dumb, but they aren't stupid. They recognize how hard it has been to win here. There's no money here. There's no real community support here.

I think whoever hires him will just say, "Well, it was North Texas."

We may not like that; but, that's reality. What it should do is make people appreciate just a little more what Darrell Dickey was able to do for a short span here. The man had his flaws, but he caught lightning in a bottle here for awhile.

The new stadium is hope. It's hope that the next coach finally has legitimate FBS-level facilities to work in and use to recruit. I wish Darrell Dickey had it. I wish Todd Dodge had it. They did what they could do. And, although Dickey was more direct about the lack of facilities than Dodge, it still is a factor. Dodge may never say it publicly, but lack of facilities has always been a factor here.

• Upvote 1