We Must Have A Big Name Coach Asap

FLAUNTER

Team,

We all love the MEAN GREEN, and it's absolute torment for us all to take in each game lately especially the heartbreakers which are way too often over the last few years). Our administration is and has always committed itself to academic success and has now ultimately committed itself to athletic success with the finalization of a brand new fantastic football stadium for next year. We will be able to host good opponents that will ultimately give us the potential to prosper and develop our football program into one that all of us have dreamed of. I believe all of us respect Coach Dodge for what he has and tried to bring to this program; however, it is time for the University of North Texas to step up and bring in a Division 1 college football coach that can take our football team to the next level. I wish Coach Dodge the best but I think it's time to get a big name college football coach to represent a big time college football program and stadium!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN....

• Upvote 4

Team,

We all love the MEAN GREEN, and it's absolute torment for us all to take in each game lately especially the heartbreakers which are way too often over the last few years). Our administration is and has always committed itself to academic success and has now ultimately committed itself to athletic success with the finalization of a brand new fantastic football stadium for next year. We will be able to host good opponents that will ultimately give us the potential to prosper and develop our football program into one that all of us have dreamed of. I believe all of us respect Coach Dodge for what he has and tried to bring to this program; however, it is time for the University of North Texas to step up and bring in a Division 1 college football coach that can take our football team to the next level. I wish Coach Dodge the best but I think it's time to get a big name college football coach to represent a big time college football program and stadium!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN....

big time college football program We don't need a big name college football coach to coach a big time college football program....we need one to coach at UNT !

• Downvote 4

Team,

GO MEAN GREEN....

\

Dear Flaunter....,

Please "deposit" $14,000,000 at the nearest UNT fundraiser box for a coach and his staff for the next years.....and like magic your wish will come true. Of course you will have to ante up another 18,000,000 to 22 million after the four years are up because you will want to give this successful coach and his staff a raise.

Sincerely your......

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 17

Team,

GO MEAN GREEN....

Gagree.

We need a proven coach to come and make an immediate impact in the short term and continue to improve on that (much like June Jones has done at SMU). We do not need some assistant coach looking for his chance to be a Head Coach.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

i agree with those who want an exprienced head coach, and hope we are past hiring "on the cheap". however, this decision, like all business decisions, boils down to " what do we want, what do we need, and what are we willing and able to pay for." i think most of us can" basically,"[ and i use the term loosely],agree upon questions 1&2. where the rubber meets the road is question #3, which only r.v. knows. i would hope that it is in the $400,000 to $500,000 range, which should give be enought to hire a proven head coach.

• Upvote 2

SMU is a great example of what a difference a coach can make, but the school didn't step up to pay June Jones, the boosters did. UNT simply doesn't have that type of booster support. We need a coach with head coaching experience, but "big name" guys are probably out of our price range.

Jeff Bower, Dan Hawkins, and Dennis Franchione may all be in our price range.

no to any candidate that does not have college head coach experience!

we do not have the time again for an inexperienced coach to learn how to assemble a staff of competent college assistants and run a college program.

Yes, because Gary Patterson, Bob Stoopes, Chris Peterson, etc... have all been failures. A previous head coach can be as big a failure as a coordinator or position coach from another school. I would still be interested in Don Carthel should the position come open.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yes, because Gary Patterson, Bob Stoopes, Chris Peterson, etc... have all been failures. A previous head coach can be as big a failure as a coordinator or position coach from another school. I would still be interested in Don Carthel should the position come open.

I'd take Chris Peterson over any other coach in football. With him as our coach we would be whipping SMU, beat TCU, and fighting toe to toe with Texas and Oklahoma within 7 years.

The big question is, how do we make this happen?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Actually Petersen beat Oklahoma in a bowl game with that crazy bold statue of liberty play. Petersen is a stud coach and luring him away from the Boise community will be difficult for anyone. Would love to see us get someone similar to Petersen!

With the team in the "state" of w/l record that it is, it is not surprising at all that folks would want to speculate on the next head coach should TD not be UNT's head coach next season. However, it is unreasonable to think, given the current state of funding, that UNT could lure away some big name college coach. Until the fans and alums start actually contributing to the program, start filling the stadium and start actually supporting the program the funds will not be available to pay the "big names" that some are mentioning. A good bit of the funding for these big name guys come from the donations of the alums and fans, and, yes, that T-Shirt Alumni group. Heck, at this point UNT doesn't have enough fans or students who even want to wear UNT T-Shirts on a regular basis to make much of a difference even within the metroplex. One can complain all they want, and find all sorts of reasons to stop coming to the games, to stop or withhold donations, to not give to the stadium fund, etc., etc., but until the fan base actually does step up and get behind the program, UNT will not be hiring any BIG NAME coach.

And, that may not be such a bad thing. I like the idea of finding the "next big thing" and letting that guy turn the program around. Those "big names" have not always been "big names", and each got a start somewhere. And, if you will check...not all big names do so well in trying to rebuild a program. Anyway, what will happen at the end of the season will happen and RV will make the very best decision he can for the Mean Green. I'll support that decision and do what I can to help, but until then...I will enjoy this season and stay behind the team and this coaching staff. Can't wait for Saturday, beautiful weather, tailgating and college football at Fouts!

GO MEAN GREEN.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

no to any candidate that does not have college head coach experience!

we do not have the time again for an inexperienced coach to learn how to assemble a staff of competent college assistants and run a college program.

agreed! except for bob tyler in 1982 {2&9], hayen fry was last experienced hc hired, and he was dropped in our lap.in last 20 years, we have hired 2 high school head coaches , neither who had a winning season. between those 2 bad hires we had matt simon, who had 1 winning season and conference title in 4 years, and darrell dickey, who had 3 winning seasons and 4 conference titles in 9 years. since his last winning season [7&5] in 2004, we have won [i think] 11 games in 5&1/2 seasons, and have become the weakest team in the weakest 1a conference. moving into a new stadium, we cannot afford another "grand experiment", and must hire an experienced successful head coach, preferably one who was not fired from his previous job. just an opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Team,

GO MEAN GREEN....

I echo those statements, hard for me to say it, because I like coach dodge a lot. But it just has not worked out. I tried to hang on as long as I could but the writing is on the wall.

• Upvote 1

Actually Petersen beat Oklahoma in a bowl game with that crazy bold statue of liberty play. Petersen is a stud coach and luring him away from the Boise community will be difficult for anyone. Would love to see us get someone similar to Petersen!

Did not say he was not a stud. He also had a pretty good team handed to him when Hawkins left, and he has done a great job keeping it going. But he also called the play and his players ran the play, not him. They have the talent to do it, we don't. I think the stadium will help, but there are more pieces to the puzzle that get your 3 star and up recruits to come. We are still a little ways from those pieces.