Interim Head Coach?

G123unt

Once Dodge cannot get to seven wins I would name Canales as interim head coach. This would give you a "free" look to see how he responds as head coach and how the team responds to his leadership.

this is too logical for us to ever do. it just makes too much sense. forget it. what are you thinking?etc,etc,etc

What in the world would be gained by naming an interim coach? All it would do is reduce your coaching staff by one, and put someone with no hc experience at all leading the team. The only rationale would be that you are auditioning one of the coaches for the future hc. Canales would be the only one that would possible be considered, but I don't see anyway that NT would want anyone associated with the Dodge experiment. I can't see any enthusiasm generated or any upward bump in recruiting generated by anyone already here

Dodge is not Dickey, he is going to go out with class and give it his all to the very last game. If NT actually hires a new HC before season end, it might make some sense to name an interim to save Dodge the embarrassment and the AD the problems that would ensure if Dodge actualllly rallied the troops for some late wins. .

• Upvote 1

You mean all four of them? That's a really long track record you are counting on to be your yardstick for success...and how many of the five games he has coached for UNT has he won? Not saying "no" to Coach Canales, just want folks to "tap the breaks" a bit before anointing him the "next great thing". I haven't seen enough at UNT as yet, nor enough from his past body of work to be so certain he "is the guy".

Dodge has NO track record of winning at this level and we've kept him for four years. Im not sayin...

I don't have anything against Canales but what has he done to deserve it? Why give it to Canales when we can give it Deloach if we are going to go that route? This thing is broke no matter what. Clean slate is necessary for this program to come back to some sort of respectability.

Ok, fine...DeLoach, then. I'd give it to either one of them. I disagree with the sentiment that this thing is totally broken. What is totally broken is our special teams. With a HC that is more committed to making that a success (DeLoach would be great here), continuing to build on what we're already doing on offense, and a re-commitment to execution and tackling basics on defense...you have the formula for a winner.

I don't look at this thing as totally busted and irreparable. I think the problems are obvious, but for one reason or another Dodge has failed to adjust his "football plan" in such a way that fixes the obvious problems. That's the biggest reason why it's so frustrating to watch this team.

I think a new coach, with a new attitude, fixes a lot of the obvious mistakes. But I'd absolutely try to keep as much cohesion in the coaching staff as possible. We have a lot of good coaches here now, contrary to what some on this board want to think. We also have coaches that actually want to be here. If a coaching change has to be made at the end of this year, figure out who they are and keep them here. Let's not pull another knee-jerk and fire another Eric Russel just for the sake of cleaning house.

Ok, fine...DeLoach, then. I'd give it to either one of them. I disagree with the sentiment that this thing is totally broken. What is totally broken is our special teams. With a HC that is more committed to making that a success (DeLoach would be great here), continuing to build on what we're already doing on offense, and a re-commitment to execution and tackling basics on defense...you have the formula for a winner.

I don't look at this thing as totally busted and irreparable. I think the problems are obvious, but for one reason or another Dodge has failed to adjust his "football plan" in such a way that fixes the obvious problems. That's the biggest reason why it's so frustrating to watch this team.

I think a new coach, with a new attitude, fixes a lot of the obvious mistakes. But I'd absolutely try to keep as much cohesion in the coaching staff as possible. We have a lot of good coaches here now, contrary to what some on this board want to think. We also have coaches that actually want to be here. If a coaching change has to be made at the end of this year, figure out who they are and keep them here. Let's not pull another knee-jerk and fire another Eric Russel just for the sake of cleaning house.

If a new coach comes in, he will bring his own guys. He might be willing to sit down with some of the current coaches, but the likelihood of more than 1 or 2 staying is not high. That's a simple fact.

Why why why why???

I am not saying lets name him the Head Coach... lets just give him a shot since we know Dodge is going to be let go. Lets see what happens when he takes over.

What do we have to lose? Lets see what the man can do.

I don't really care who is the interm coach.

But NEVER for the job next year. Nothing against the man, just not what we need right now.

Nothing against Canales or DeLoach as interim coaches if (IF) it comes to that, but neither pack any excitement for the fan base and/or the "bandwagon fans" in MY OPINION. So, if UNT goes in the direction of a new head coach for next season it needs to be one from the outside to generate as much excitement as possible for the new season and new stadium and new "direction". The "new guy" can retain either or both and I would be fine with that, but, for me, I want a new guy from outside if it comes to that.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Nothing against Canales or DeLoach as interim coaches if (IF) it comes to that, but neither pack any excitement for the fan base and/or the "bandwagon fans" in MY OPINION. So, if UNT goes in the direction of a new head coach for next season it needs to be one from the outside to generate as much excitement as possible for the new season and new stadium and new "direction". The "new guy" can retain either or both and I would be fine with that, but, for me, I want a new guy from outside if it comes to that.

No better way to say it as KRAM1 has so perfectly crafted his words and thoughts. :thumbsup:

(Of course, I would say the same thing but stretch it out to about 8 more paragraphs). :w00t:

GMG!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I would like to see what Canales can do as a head coach with second and third string players against Troy and Kansas State. Win those, then we'll talk. :rolleyes:

This may be a closer scenario than anyone thinks. Consider Riley's comment that he would postpone surgery until the open date. Why not wait till the end of the season? Perhaps he feels Todd will be terminated at the open date and Canales given a shot for the remainder of the season. Riley then sits rest of '10 and can transfer in spring '11 when TD has been replaced. Remember if Leavit is hired he will most certainly retain Canales as one of his own from USF.

Chucking a coach in the middle of the season does no good. Recruiting will be scuttled enough. Having no one to guide the ship would set it back even further.

In my opinion, RV has to do what he did with Darrell Dickey, do the firing the first week of November. However, this time, he can't wait until mid-December to hire someone. And, I also believe, he cannot hire someone who has other duties that would keep him from hitting the road to recruit for us the day he is hired! (Like, say, an assistant somewhere doing bowl work for his old team)

To me, then, that means having someone experienced, who is not currently on someone's sideline, named before December 1. We can't waste valuable recruiting time again like we did in 2007. There are too many holes to fill and the fall JUCO signing period will be nigh.

It's got to be quick. The guy should still be wiping pumpkin pie crumbs off of his face with one hand during the press conference with his bags packed and ready to hit the road in his other hand. If we thought this thing needed rebuilding in 2006...it's twice as urgent this time around.

I like Coach Canales - but so far his offensive schemes haven't worked out any better than Dodge's did in terms of production or wins and losses. Unfortunately, for him, it may have to be guilt by association, as if the team is sucking wind, he's failing... if they are doing good, he's succeeding and thus so is Dodge. I really don't see a path for him to be the head coach. I agree with those who say that taking Dodge out mid season drops the coaching staff by a man, and really throws a wrench into the recruiting and off-season part of the game.

I know the emotional desire for everyone here... I have it too. My gut & loyalty says "let's see what he does with injuries and a tough schedule coming up"... because if he managed to get some wins in games we really have no business winning, then we might have the guy for the future and excitement about his first full season would be easy to build. ...but this is a gamble that I don't think our program can afford going into a turbulant conference realignment period and going into our new stadium.

It is time to make a statement to the world. We either pull a miracle out of the had with Dodge starting this week, which is a powerful statement in and of itself - or we start with a totally clean slate next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Normally I am against interim coaches. However, I believe that this has some unusual circumstances. If the job has to be posted 30 days prior to a hiring then it would hamstring the new coach in recruiting for the 2011 season if the current coach was allowed to finish. With the record of the past five years and the opening of the new stadium a new coach will need all of the advantages possible to deliver our needs.

The new coach must have the freedom to select his hires so I'm not sure what advantage that would give an interim coach. Leavitt already knows what Canales can do so if he's the hire the remainder of the season may hold little value for the interim coach if it's Chico but say it's anyone else. What Canales can do in the last games could have a great bearing on the new head football coaches' choice for an OC. That could be good for our future.

None of this should take place, however, until Todd Dodge has been mathematically eliminated.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 3

This may be a closer scenario than anyone thinks. Consider Riley's comment that he would postpone surgery until the open date. Why not wait till the end of the season? Perhaps he feels Todd will be terminated at the open date and Canales given a shot for the remainder of the season. Riley then sits rest of '10 and can transfer in spring '11 when TD has been replaced. Remember if Leavit is hired he will most certainly retain Canales as one of his own from USF.

I would bet there is a plan in place already. RV told TD that he had to win 7 and he's not going to. That may be why Canales was hired or...RV started the HC recruiting a few weeks back when he could tell TD wasn't gonna make it. I'll bet we're a lot further along than you think. And we won't be consulted.

Chucking a coach in the middle of the season does no good. Recruiting will be scuttled enough. Having no one to guide the ship would set it back even further.

In my opinion, RV has to do what he did with Darrell Dickey, do the firing the first week of November. However, this time, he can't wait until mid-December to hire someone. And, I also believe, he cannot hire someone who has other duties that would keep him from hitting the road to recruit for us the day he is hired! (Like, say, an assistant somewhere doing bowl work for his old team)

To me, then, that means having someone experienced, who is not currently on someone's sideline, named before December 1. We can't waste valuable recruiting time again like we did in 2007. There are too many holes to fill and the fall JUCO signing period will be nigh.

It's got to be quick. The guy should still be wiping pumpkin pie crumbs off of his face with one hand during the press conference with his bags packed and ready to hit the road in his other hand. If we thought this thing needed rebuilding in 2006...it's twice as urgent this time around.

RC Slocum then?

If the job has to be posted 30 days prior to a hiring then it would hamstring the new coach in recruiting for the 2011 season if the current coach was allowed to finish.

Texas State fired Manny Matsakis on January 28th, 2004, and hired David Bailiff 8 days later on February 5th, 2004.

Texas Tech fired Mike Leach on December 31st, 2009 and hired Tuberville 10 days later on January 10th.

So is North Texas the only school in Texas that has to adhere to this Old Wives' Tale? :P

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Texas State fired Manny Matsakis on January 28th, 2004, and hired David Bailiff 8 days later on February 5th, 2004.

Texas Tech fired Mike Leach on December 31st, 2009 and hired Tuberville 10 days later on January 10th.

So is North Texas the only school in Texas that has to adhere to this Old Wives' Tale? :P

Rick

Still trying to figure out the whole 30 day thing with UNT, who makes this rule or dos RV and BOR not like to move fast?

Still trying to figure out the whole 30 day thing with UNT, who makes this rule or dos RV and BOR not like to move fast?

Just talked with a commissioner at the TWC and she knew nothing about this law or rule nor had ever even heard of such a thing, but suggested I contact the U.S. Dept of Labor also just to make sure. They are closed for today.

Rick

OK, I've posted about this before:

There is a UNT Policy that states that CLASSIFIED POSITIONS, which are open to public candidates, have to be open for X amount of days.

However, the high ranking positions are not classified as "classified positions".

The athletic head coaching positions are not classified positions.

I don't see how an X day waiting period applies to them.

Just talked with a commissioner at the TWC and she knew nothing about this law or rule nor had ever even heard of such a thing, but suggested I contact the U.S. Dept of Labor also just to make sure. They are closed for today.

Rick

Damned federal employees. :)

I agree with Rick. I've always felt this is a myth.

But I'm still a NO vote with Canales as Coach, interim or not.

Edited by yyz28