Mike Canales

agw0038

OC Mike Canales WILL BE the next head coach of the Mean Green!

THIS WILL HAPPEN!!!

UNT WILL WIN 8 GAMES in 2011

- instead of being the start to a new generation of football success at UNT, Dodge will simply be remembered as the last of the old generation head coaches. The last man to coach the mean green at Fouts Field.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

He has never been a head coach. This is either by choice or because of ability and/or temperament. His history up to this year.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=859867

HSO: He hasn't been a stellar OC either.

• Upvote 1

when we hired TD we knew he would bring some flare to our offense and that naturally we would put up a lot of points...

Canales, however, brings fluidity to our offense.... after TDs first two or three seasons i felt like our Offense started to become stagnant and predictable... MC has brought back the Mystique....

Even if its not Canales, the next HC of UNT will be hired from within...

after this stadium is finally up... are we not going to be dirt poor?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

THIS WILL HAPPEN!!!

- instead of being the start to a new generation of football success at UNT, Dodge will simply be remembered as the last of the old generation head coaches. The last man to coach the mean green at Fouts Field.

The same Mike Canales that called the same play to Riley Dodge 3 times in a row? You know the wildcat only works if there is a threat to pass, otherwise you might as well be playing Dickeyball from the shotgun.

• Upvote 4

The simple and undeniable truth is if Dodge gets released then RV has to clean house with all the coaches. Bring Canales up for anything more then an interim coach would be booster support suicide.

I think that if we've learned anything from the Dodge era, it's that no matter how simple, obvious, or undeniable the truth may be, a lot of people here can convince themselves it isn't the truth.

• Upvote 2

okay... if not Mike Canales than who?.... I mean seriously... can we really afford to go after some semi-notable Head Coach who's looking to rebuild his career? Our FB program is not as lucrative as the other Texas schools so how do we expect to stay competitive? Having a semi-famous name in TD has greatly increased our recruiting success.... whats gonna happen next year if TD is not around?

ITS OBVIOUS sOME PART OF THE WINNING EQUATION IS STILL MISSING FROM OUR PROGRAM... ITS NOT PLAYERS BECUZ WE GOT TALENT!!!!!

with the exception of McGuffie there was no difference between our players and those of the Rice Owls

SO THEN WHATS THE PROBLEM!?!?!?!?

okay... if not Mike Canales than who?.... I mean seriously... can we really afford to go after some semi-notable Head Coach who's looking to rebuild his career? Our FB program is not as lucrative as the other Texas schools so how do we expect to stay competitive? Having a semi-famous name in TD has greatly increased our recruiting success.... whats gonna happen next year if TD is not around?

ITS OBVIOUS sOME PART OF THE WINNING EQUATION IS STILL MISSING FROM OUR PROGRAM... ITS NOT PLAYERS BECUZ WE GOT TALENT!!!!!

with the exception of McGuffie there was no difference between our players and those of the Rice Owls

There aren't just 2 guys out there that can coach at this level for the same or equal price. There are FCS schools with coaches that can beat top 25 teams that make less money than TD or MC. There are plenty of coaches that are chomping at the bit to take a job at the highest level of college football. You said yourself the talent isn't that bad, which would make this job attractive to someone who can coach them up. The best recruiting bed in all of college football, a new stadium on the way, and an increasing fan base make this job anything but a place to end a career.

MC certainly is bringing the mystique back. I am mystified by our use of Riley Dodge. I am mystified why, after 2 games at OC for UNT and no previous head coaching experience, some think MC is the best person to head this team.

on scout

UNT this year is currently tied for 98th in recruiting

in 2010 they were #117 (out of 120)

in 2009 UNT was #116

in 2008 UNT was #68

in 2007 UNT was #103

and UNT has suffered a large number of players leaving especially from those first two classes.....so not sure where the "we got talent" comes from

it looks like it is a huge part coaching, a huge part recruiting, and a large part talent......when you are bad at all three and down in the 100s 3 out of 4 years in recruiting it is hard to say the talent is there

• Upvote 1

i would give him a shot but the problem is not naming someone head coach. it is finding someone that can do all the little stuff they have to do besides coach. like recruit and find quality assistants and find players that want to stay in the program and make passing grades and workout to get in better shape.

THIS WILL HAPPEN!!!

i don't know if being a oc immediately qualifies you as head coach material or not. dd was oc at smu before joining nt, and my top replacement for td would be the oc at houston.when it becomes mathematically impossibled to win 7 games, i would fire td &let mc coach the rest of season.we must get someone in who can recruit. for a successful head high school coach, td did a terrible job of bringing in new talent.

THIS WILL HAPPEN!!!

If this happens, there are much bigger problems with the UNT football program than I thought.

Edited by Green Mean

There aren't just 2 guys out there that can coach at this level for the same or equal price. There are FCS schools with coaches that can beat top 25 teams that make less money than TD or MC. There are plenty of coaches that are chomping at the bit to take a job at the highest level of college football. You said yourself the talent isn't that bad, which would make this job attractive to someone who can coach them up. The best recruiting bed in all of college football, a new stadium on the way, and an increasing fan base make this job anything but a place to end a career.

MC certainly is bringing the mystique back. I am mystified by our use of Riley Dodge. I am mystified why, after 2 games at OC for UNT and no previous head coaching experience, some think MC is the best person to head this team.

I'm not saying he is the best...certainly after putting RD in the game...which may have cost us the game....it certainly killed drives...it puts a big question mark in my mind, but what I am saying is he probably will be the next HC....politics, money, experience...etc. There are probably plenty of good choices out there, just have to go find them and pay them.

I'm not saying he is the best...certainly after putting RD in the game...which may have cost us the game....it certainly killed drives...it puts a big question mark in my mind, but what I am saying is he probably will be the next HC....politics, money, experience...etc. There are probably plenty of good choices out there, just have to go find them and pay them.

1 drive of Riley running some poorly called (or poorly read) plays is DEFINITELY NOT what cost us this game.