Who Is Your Break Out Player For 2010

UNTLifer

Jeremy Phillips. Maybe not to the level of Lance in '09, but he really started coming on at the end of last year. If he has been able to put on some good muscle weight during the offseason, I'll expect a monster year from him.

I am interested to see what some other players weigh in at this season, mainly AK47 and KC Obi. I think if they can both be around 240 this season that will be huge. I also am interested to see what Draylen Ross is going to weigh. I would like to see him get down to about 265. I think he could be a devastating blocker and a good receiving threat at that weight...

At first I wanted to answer this facetiously. A friend and I used to have a standing gag for years. Each time that Dave Campbell's Texas Football Magazine would come out....I would comb through the pages looking for the most unlikely player I could find (usually in class 1-A or 2-A). The description would read something like 5-6 150 lbs 5.7 DT and I would label him as the super-sleeper of the year and point out that UT was really hot on his trail.

As for the actual question, I hope that Michael Miller comes in and is a super surprise. It would be great to have a 6-3 260 lb DE to complement OBI and Brandon.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, the mean green is going to need a lot of break out players this year to turn this thing around. On offense, the Quarterback who ever it is, is going to have to have a breakout year. The rest of the offense is experienced, so there not going to be many opportunities for new players to shine. I do think Dodge may surprise at wide out.

On defense, look for much improvement in the linebacker corp. Technically; you really can't identify a new juco as having a break out year; thought I think the defense will depend on several. My picks to have break out years are DT Jackson and DE Obi.

1. Derek Thompson. If not, I think Tune will be fine.

2. Tevinn Cantly. I'm kind of wondering if he was playing hurt last year. I'd consider him to break out if he's solid in the line rotation, because we already know what the projected starting tackles (both seniors) can do. They can't do it without having quality depth behind them though, and we need experienced defensive tackles for 2011.

My hope is that one, preferably both, of our D-Tackles, Shavod A. or Kelvin J., has a breakout year thus allowing our linebackers to roam freely and make plays and our d-backs to have a realistic chance in coverage.

My hope is Shavod and Kelvin.

Realistically: Phillips on Defense and Ross on Offense.

• Upvote 1