What Your Dream Scenario?

This message board and sports websites all over the country are full of rumors citing "credible" sources as to what is likely about to be a major event in college athletics.

So.... how do we know what to believe? We don't. We just have to sit back and wait for the official announcements.

With that said, what's your dream scenario? Where do you want North Texas to be when this is all said and done? What's your biggest fear?

Personally, I think the demise of the Big 12 is the best thing that can happen from a publicity standpoint for North Texas, especially if the teams split. Some of the latest reports have UT and A&M going to the Big 10, Oklahoma St to the Pac 10, and OU to the SEC. This would split the media coverage so much around here that has been controlled by the Big 12 for the last 14 years. Could a more regional conference actually gain the media coverage and fan support in the DFW area?

Let's say the Big 12 is left with 6: Iowa St, Missouri (why would the Big 10 need Missouri if it has Nebraska, Texas, and A&M?), Kansas, K-State, Baylor, and Texas Tech. The Big 12 will probably remain a conference (it retains its AQ status I believe) and fills in the holes. It's possible they want us, a large private school to keep the DFW market. If they don't take any metroplex schools, it's likely the DFW market won't care about the Big 12 anymore. Maybe they take all 3 + Rice, Houston, and Tulsa.

Let's say we get skipped over here, which is quite possible, but the Big 12 has just taken a good portion of the CUSA West. Does CUSA raid the Sun Belt of its West members, or do they fully merge, especially if the Big East takes some of the Eastern members?

Either way, I think if the Big 12 split goes in multiple directions and the Big 12 keeps 6 schools together, I think they rebuild and that may be the best thing that can happen for us because we either become a part of the new Big 12, the new MWC, the new CUSA, or a merged CUSA/Sun Belt.

Thoughts?

I just hope you've put enough into facilities upgrades to raise your stock among potential new suitors.

We're getting there. The kindness and open-mindedness of college students has and will continue to play a big role in making this dream a reality.

I could care less about what the conference is called. But, I want the best REGIONAL conference that could be put together for us when it comes to drawing fans to our new FB stadium.

Some schools are not even worth dreaming about (UT, OU, A&M, TCU, etc). We simply could not compete on the field with those schools anyway.

Schools that would form terrific regional rivalries, with competitive games:

SMU, Houston, Rice and Baylor

Schools that could be left out of the big conferences, which would be too good to pass up if the offer ever came: Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State

Schools outside Texas that could have moderate appeal:

Louisiana Tech, Tulane, Tulsa, Ark State and NM State

So, here is my dream conference (12 teams):

Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa St, Baylor, UNT, Houston, SMU, Rice + choice of 4 other regional D1 schools.

Are you out of your mind?!?! :blink:

You need to be out there buying rohypnol and going to every "ladies night" function you could possibly find. You're obviously not serious about this situation.

I tried that strategy one time. Sadly I ended up banging the Southland Conf... and her mom.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 3

Dream conference:

North Texas

Kansas

Kansas State

Iowa State

Baylor

TCU

Houston

Oklahoma State

Memphis

Rice

Colorado State

New Mexico or New Mexico State

Yes, I realize SMU is missing from that list. :D

Realistically, I think this would be a nice conference:

North Texas

Houston

Rice

SMU

Tulsa

Southern Miss

Tulane

Louisiana-Lafayette

Middle Tennessee

Western Kentucky

New Mexico State

UTEP

• Upvote 1

Ok, I want to change my dream scenario to one slightly less in the clouds, but still out there. :lol:

Kansas and Kansas State have no luck with the Big East and decide they have no interest in moving to the MWC. Instead, they decide to stay behind and form their own basketball conference. Conference tournament alternating between Dallas and Memphis.

West

Kansas

Kansas State

Iowa State

North Texas

UTEP

Tulsa

East

Missouri

Baylor

Memphis

Houston