Welcome To Irrelevance

UNT90

Yep, Weatherbe goes 6-6, kicks our rear by, what 24 points? and is fired. This at a school with far less resources but apparently far more commitment to winning.

This school has a small window to be relevant, and we just took a HUGE step backwards. We just showed everyone that, as a university, winning college football games is not a priority.

Jon, Mandy, I really feel for you. You guys have to try and sell priority seating to the new stadium when your employer has just told your product's consumers that they don't give a rats @#$ about the quality of the product you are trying to sell. Good Luck, you guys are going to need it in the days ahead.

We wonder why we can't get the attention of the 100,000 alumni in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. You know, those casual observers of their old school that don't give, don't return for games. Today is a perfect example of why these people divorce themselves from UNT. Why should they care? Really? Please give me any example.

Next Spring we will have the usual suspects on here predicting 9 wins, we will struggle to win 3 games, and we will have the usual suspects on this board arguing that Dodge needs more time.

Unbelievable.

I will wait and make an unemotional decision about season tickets next year, but I am leaning toward no.

• Upvote 1

Even in our bowl years I really don't think we were that relevant. To me the only thing relevant was Patrick Cobbs and Jamario Thomas and that time they were on the front page of SI. Other than that we probably have never been relevant. At this point it is just the fact that we keep on accepting irrelevance and we are ok with it because the standards are just so god awfully low here at little ol North Texas.

Yep, Weatherbe goes 6-6, kicks our rear by, what 24 points? and is fired. This at a school with far less resources but apparently far more commitment to winning.

This school has a small window to be relevant, and we just took a HUGE step backwards. We just showed everyone that, as a university, winning college football games is not a priority.

Jon, Mandy, I really feel for you. You guys have to try and sell priority seating to the new stadium when your employer has just told your product's consumers that they don't give a rats @#$ about the quality of the product you are trying to sell. Good Luck, you guys are going to need it in the days ahead.

We wonder why we can't get the attention of the 100,000 alumni in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. You know, those casual observers of their old school that don't give, don't return for games. Today is a perfect example of why these people divorce themselves from UNT. Why should they care? Really? Please give me any example.

Next Spring we will have the usual suspects on here predicting 9 wins, we will struggle to win 3 games, and we will have the usual suspects on this board arguing that Dodge needs more time.

Unbelievable.

I will wait and make an unemotional decision about season tickets next year, but I am leaning toward no.

I never knew we were relevant, I was hoping that we were moving that way but obviously not.

Unbelievable.

I agree with you, but the question is where do you find the money to get us out of this situation NOW, as in TODAY? Its the chicken and egg deal--which comes first? If we had money, we wouldn't have Dodge. The alumni don't care about the university's athletic program, except for a hearty few. They have heard for decades how our football team isn't worth following, that it is uncool to even care about the team, and even worse to actually go to a game. Besides, Texas, A&M, Tech, and OU all play each other in the only conference that counts--this is the mindset that most college football fans around here believe in and it how the media covers the sport--excpet that TCU and SMU get coverage because of their hometown media coverage.

The good news is that the new stadium will at least help a coach consider recruiting some kids that would never consider playing at Fouts, which is what most of the Denton ISD kids think. The even better news is that the student body that has gone through UNT since 2000 seems much different from the student body of the previous years. There is undeniably more school spirit than ever before--granted anything above zero is improvement--and I do believe that the student body of the 2000s will move up and actually support the program at a good level. The issue is that the big donors probably won't show up for another decade or two, as most big donors at other universities are over the age of 50. The bigger issue here is that when your local competition can pay a coach over $2 million a year and you can barely pay $250K and cannot afford to buyout more than one year of that $250k salary, this is the hard reality of where we are as a university, athletic department, and football program. It will get better, but it probably won't be for a looooonnnngggg time.

The good news is that the new stadium will at least help a coach consider recruiting some kids that would never consider playing at Fouts, which is what most of the Denton ISD kids think.

When the AC was built, the spin was "Oh, kids only step into stadium 5-6 times a year, but they go into the weight room almost every day, having the new AC is much more important than having a stadium, it will help out recruiting greatly". I don't think it did, and I have to be a little wary of the "The new stadium will really help out recruiting" talk I am hearing now.

Unbelievable.

I hope you dont renew your seaon tickets for next year. While you are at it, also delete yourself from this board with no more comments.

You have no understanding of what it takes to play, much less coach in an hostile environment that some people on this board are apparently setting up. You think that a coach that comes in here can just flip a switch and the team starts winning? Winning is not just physical it is mental. A team that has been beaten down and taken their licks the past few years with losing scholarships, athletes quitting and players going after coaches in the media is not going to suddenly walk onto the the field and start winning. You have no idea, none, about what it takes! I would rather have 5,000 screaming fans in the stands that are passionate about this program than 20,000 fans and 15,000 of them come and leave before the first half is over and then get on this board and trash the program.

So, to you and all of the other people on this board that thinks that Dodge should have been let go this year, I will ask that you not renew your season tickets, don't come on campus and burn all of your UNT gear. I don't need the negative talk, the team doesn't need it, nor the coaches. You're either on board 100% or not. For me there is no jumping on the band wagon when they win and jump off when they lose and wait to see what happens next.

I hope you dont renew your seaon tickets for next year. While you are at it, also delete yourself from this board with no more comments.

You have no understanding of what it takes to play, much less coach in an hostile environment that some people on this board are apparently setting up. You think that a coach that comes in here can just flip a switch and the team starts winning? Winning is not just physical it is mental. A team that has been beaten down and taken their licks the past few years with losing scholarships, athletes quitting and players going after coaches in the media is not going to suddenly walk onto the the field and start winning. You have no idea, none, about what it takes! I would rather have 5,000 screaming fans in the stands that are passionate about this program than 20,000 fans and 15,000 of them come and leave before the first half is over and then get on this board and trash the program.

So, to you and all of the other people on this board that thinks that Dodge should have been let go this year, I will ask that you not renew your season tickets, don't come on campus and burn all of your UNT gear. I don't need the negative talk, the team doesn't need it, nor the coaches. You're either on board 100% or not. For me there is no jumping on the band wagon when they win and jump off when they lose and wait to see what happens next.

Yeah that will pay the bills, get real.

I hope you dont renew your seaon tickets for next year.

You tell someone how to be a fan and you say this ?

much less coach in an hostile environment that some people on this board are apparently setting up.

We have a hostile environment ? Really ?

I would rather have 5,000 screaming fans in the stands that are passionate about this program

We don't have 5,000 screaming fans.

I will ask that you not renew your season tickets, don't come on campus and burn all of your UNT gear.

Something a #1 fan should say to all these bandwagon fans since we have so many to spare

For me there is no jumping on the band wagon when they win and jump off when they lose and wait to see what happens next.

We haven't won in such a long time I can't remember if there is even a bandwagon

Edited by NT03

Really? I will take as many fans as possible. Besides show me a school or team that is different. You have never said anything negative or critical about any sports team you like? If this team goes 0-12 next season you won't think a change is needed?

If there's 15,000 trashing the program on this board, they should all throw in $100 each per year, come up with $1.5 million, and offer really competitive coaches salaries.