College Towns

kingwoodgreen

Guys I am not sure which forum to place this but I will start here. After visiting several "college towns" and acutally living in a big one (Knoxville) I would say that Denton falls way short of being called a classic college town. Why is this? Where does Denton fall short? Is is the school's fault? I love college towns and the vibes they have on game day. I am an old timer and live out of town but I am curious if we have much buzz at the local retail strips around or the eateries? how about the bars post game? I know our tailgating has improved dramatically and I am excited about that aspect of game day. I really want us to have some great tailgating areas around the stadium. Maybe around the pond. Maybe a small amphitheatre for bands that could be used for other venues. How about a RV section with hook ups.

Just thought I would throw out a new topic as things are getting a bit redundant and depressing around here.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys I am not sure which forum to place this but I will start here. After visiting several "college towns" and acutally living in a big one (Knoxville) I would say that Denton falls way short of being called a classic college town. Why is this? Where does Denton fall short? Is is the school's fault? I love college towns and the vibes they have on game day. I am an old timer and live out of town but I am curious if we have much buzz at the local retail strips around or the eateries? how about the bars post game? I know our tailgating has improved dramatically and I am excited about that aspect of game day. I really want us to have some great tailgating areas around the stadium. Maybe around the pond. Maybe a small amphitheatre for bands that could be used for other venues. How about a RV section with hook ups.

Just thought I would throw out a new topic as things are getting a bit redundant and depressing around here.

there is an official sponsor of a certain website that has game watching parties for NT games. During the LaLa game, most of the bartenders and wait staff had UT or TT shirts on. I just shook my head and wondered what would happen in Austin or Lubbuck if that happened. I asked a young lady why she had a UT shirt on and she said the owner said they could and that she liked UT, even though she was a student at NT. I think we ought to jack up our entrance standards so high that only students that actually want to go to NT will get in, quit accepting everybody elses rejects.

there is an official sponsor of a certain website that has game watching parties for NT games. During the LaLa game, most of the bartenders and wait staff had UT or TT shirts on. I just shook my head and wondered what would happen in Austin or Lubbuck if that happened. I asked a young lady why she had a UT shirt on and she said the owner said they could and that she liked UT, even though she was a student at NT. I think we ought to jack up our entrance standards so high that only students that actually want to go to NT will get in, quit accepting everybody elses rejects.

I am guessing the Pourhouse. You can name it, we are all adults no ones feeling will get hurt.

First let me say, when I was at NT, I hated this as well. You can't force school spirit on people. It's a culture and as best I could tell prior to say RV, there was no real culture up there to sustain this sort of school spirit.

I'm not sure really how you combat the problem. I suppose you could mandate NT gear on the game days.

I wouldn't judge the Pourhouse or GMG for aligning with them on something like this.

I'd blame the Athletic Dept and University of years past.

FYI, there are a lot of those schools "rejects" myself included that came here and are big supporters. It's all a state of mind

Joe...we all know which bar.

At least they sponsor UNT game watching parties and a certain Coach Show on Monday's. That's a bunch more than many other fine local establishments. And, I for one, appreciate what they do in support of the Mean Green. Yes, it is sad that wait staff was wearing UT and TT 'stuff". I tried to get some folks to sell Tank Army shirts that day to no avail (I was personally unavailable). If we had, maybe we could have taken up a collection and bought them Tank Army shirts and supported UNT scholarships at the same time. When a current student would rather wear a UT shirt than a UNT shirt, that, to me, says more about the student than it does the establishment she/he is working for at the time.

You wonder about Denton's attitude...well, when the students don't care enough you can understand why the "locals" seem to be so-so in support.

Things are getting better...slowly, yes, but better all the same. People who support UNT just can't give up...we all need to keep the faith and it will continue to get better and better.

Joe...we all know which bar.

At least they sponsor UNT game watching parties and a certain Coach Show on Monday's. That's a bunch more than many other fine local establishments. And, I for one, appreciate what they do in support of the Mean Green. Yes, it is sad that wait staff was wearing UT and TT 'stuff". I tried to get some folks to sell Tank Army shirts that day to no avail (I was personally unavailable). If we had, maybe we could have taken up a collection and bought them Tank Army shirts and supported UNT scholarships at the same time. When a current student would rather wear a UT shirt than a UNT shirt, that, to me, says more about the student than it does the establishment she/he is working for at the time.

You wonder about Denton's attitude...well, when the students don't care enough you can understand why the "locals" seem to be so-so in support.

Things are getting better...slowly, yes, but better all the same. People who support UNT just can't give up...we all need to keep the faith and it will continue to get better and better.

Kram,

i agree completely

If only NT was Denton's Team as it is Austins. Maybe we should not let any other Cities rejects move to Denton

You see sometimes the support of Athletics here only goes one way. Notice any establishments missing from this press release of Watching Parties.

MG Sports Press Release

I wish there was job for like local business liason at the AD dept. I'd jump in a heartbeat

I realize we cannot make realistic projections comparing ourselves to ut or am. But what got me thinking about this today was a memory from when I lived in Knoxville about 19 yers ago. We moved there in the fall and the first weekend there was a game. We were unpacking and moving into our apt. which was on the other side of town from campus. I went to the local burger king and found it all decorated with vol stuff and every employee in vol garb. Now certaily I would have expectd this from the bk across from the school but not all the way across town. That town shut down traffic all day Saturday. And many came by boat. It would be great if the dart came to the stadium or campus.

fyi - as far as moving to a place where NT is recognized, Knoxville is high on the list. Everyone I told where I went to school automatically brought up their infamous homecoming game where we upset them. they definilty knew the mean green, that was fun for a change.

there is an official sponsor of a certain website that has game watching parties for NT games. During the LaLa game, most of the bartenders and wait staff had UT or TT shirts on. I just shook my head and wondered what would happen in Austin or Lubbuck if that happened. [iI asked a young lady why she had a UT shirt on and she said the owner said they could and that she liked UT, even though she was a student at NT. I think we ought to jack up our entrance standards so high that only students that actually want to go to NT will get in, quit accepting everybody elses rejects.

Guys, I think we're missing the most important factor here - was she hot?? If she was hot, it's allowable and she should have received a nice tip.

Otherwise, I can't believe she would have the nerve to wear a UT shirt at the home of UNT watching parties, and on game day no less. I hope you didn't tip that horrible, disgusting waitress.

Biggest obstruction to Denton's support of UNT? TWU.

Denton is not a ONE college town. Plus, UNT has not been seen as on equal footing with the other Texas large athletic programs, mostly by conference affiliation, although Fouts has hurt our image too. This is where I expect the new stadium to make a huge impact...image of our program to those outside the school.

A stadium is a window to a school's football program! :D

Edited by NT80

Dodge has made Denton a non-college town

Yeah, we were a huge college town during the Simon years.

And he made the roof in my office leak during today's rainstorm.

I heard he kills puppies.

NT has never had the Denton community behind it, at least not since Ive been around. Part of it is TWU, who refuse to let themselves become a part of the NT family. Part of it is DISD who refused to work with NT to build a new NT stadium to be used by NT and DISD schools, because the field would "not have the DISD logo." Part of it is the business owners who historically refuse to support NT and even don't like to hang NT gear in the business. I once went into the McDonalds at NT Blvd and I35 during football season only to find the placemats on the trays had TEXAS TECH FB schedules. It wasnt until we started winning the SBC that banners were hung oh the lightpoles on Carroll. The people who live in the apartments right behind Fouts do not care about NT. they only show up at tailgating to look for free food to mooch on. Those douches in the Denia neighborhood tried their best to keep the new stadium from happening.

This isnt Dodge's fault, This isnt RV's vault, or Dickey's, Simon's, Trilli's, and probably isnt even Helwigs fault. Although, he probably made it worse. I dont know if you can pin it on one person or group. But it is time that Denton supports NT, and Im all for suggestions on how we as fans can do this. This was always an ongoing project for Talons. I think we all need to step in and try and fix this.

No matter what anyone say, Denton is not a college town. End of story. Its a great school, great town... But college town hell no. fry street is week. Great beer prices though.