What Would You Rather Have?

stebo

winning the Belt coming off a 1 win season or a vanilla effort against Bama? Bama paid us $900K for a win and no effort or coaching was going to change that. Those are bought players on that team and they are the best in the nation. If we had nothing to play for this season then I would be all for a gun a'blazing aproach to that game. But we should be 2-1 right now - our QB is hurt and we need to keep the rest of the team healthy going into Sun Belt play. If we want to win 5 or 6 games this year - we cannot afford to lose players in a game that is for nothing more than pride and a paycheck. Thank god there is only one of those this year. I don't expect to see this type of lay down during remaining games - they didn't lay down during the first two games and it kills me to see people turn on this team. Keep your head held high and please don't listen to the Vizza "I told you so" haters. Our QB is down and we need the rest of the team to stay healthy until he heals. Hopefully we can recruit more QB's as talented as Riley but he is the best we got for right now. In order to run this system - the QB has to be mobile and accurate. Vizza was mobile but not accurate. Tune is accurate but not mobile. Riley is both - hopefully he will be back for the rest of the season.

Edited by stebo

winning the Belt coming off a 1 win season or a vanilla effort against Bama? Bama paid us $900K for a win and no effort or coaching was going to change that. Those are bought players on that team and they are the best in the nation. If we had nothing to play for this season then I would be all for a gun a'blazing aproach to that game. But we should be 2-1 right now - our QB is hurt and we need to keep the rest of the team healthy going into Sun Belt play. If we want to win 5 or 6 games this year - we cannot afford to lose players in a game that is for nothing more than pride and a paycheck. Thank god there is only one of those this year. I don't expect to see this type of lay down during remaining games - they didn't lay down during the first two games and it kills me to see people turn on this team. Keep your head held high and please don't listen to the Vizza "I told you so" haters. Our QB is down and we need the rest of the team to stay healthy until he heals. Hopefully we can recruit more QB's as talented as Riley but he is the best we got for right now. In order to run this system - the QB has to be mobile and accurate. Vizza was mobile but not accurate. Tune is accurate but not mobile. Riley is both - hopefully he will be back for the rest of the season.

why not just forfeit if you think we should just lay down in these games. play your best effort or dont play the game. stupid thread.

Wasn't that one of the biggest gripes against DD, the tail between legs mentality before these games even started??? As for the shot on Vizza, what genius recruited him? Teflon Todd, still scoots by untouched. If a QB like Riley really is the key, why the hell is he not recruiting true dual threat QB's??? They are out there and many of them are being converted into DBs & Wrs; just ask Riley what

UT wanted to convert him to.

No turning here! I am looking forward to a great game with great weather and a fantastic win next Saturday! I have suffered through 2 close second losses and the tide will turn soon:)

Last night I went to the Hawaii vs UNLV game with another 10,000 crazy Hawaiian and Hawaii supporters! It was a blast but the Warriors fell with 40 seconds left, losing 34-33. Great game but I was like dang two last second falls! This is a great sign because we have plenty of awesome wins ahead beinning next Saturday! Ice the beer boys and girls:)

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!

Because we were paid 900 thousand dollars to play the game.

It was more than just money to Coach Fry. It truly was an "opportunity" game for him, his team, and fans to show the world, and they cherished playing those big programs. Those feelings do not seem evident in this era. Ask Jerry Moore if he told App. State players against Michigan that they were only there for the money!

Edited by NT80

It was more than just money to Coach Fry. It truly was an "opportunity" game for him, his team, and fans to show the world, and they cherished playing those big programs. Those feelings do not seem evident in this era. Ask Jerry Moore if he told App. State players against Michigan that they were only there for the money!

I agree I just don't think this is our time with this team, maybe next year. I think we will be there shortly to steal some wins off of the top 10. But this year I would be tickled pink to be bowl eligible.

I agree I just don't think this is our time with this team, maybe next year. I think we will be there shortly to steal some wins off of the top 10. But this year I would be tickled pink to be bowl eligible.

It would be a step up this year just to win some conference games. But eventually you'll always be judged against the rest of the division as to how you're really progressing.

I have been an ardent and steady supporter of this Athletic Department and this Coaching Staff. What I have to say in no way diminishes the incredible accomplishments made by this AD or Coaching Staff and in no way is it an indictment on our future success. I believe we have the right people in place.

BUT! I listen to what people say and I believe them. RV stood on the stage at the 2007 Kickoff/Cookout and proclaimed that never again would we go into someone elses house and play for just a paycheck! I heard it with my own ears and the loud and enthusiastic applause indicates that the large crowd heard it as well. What did we do on Saturday? Played for a paycheck.

At Coach Dodge's first press conference he said he was an X's and O's man, that he loved X's and O's. Where was the thought out well planned gameplan?

If the AD and Coaching Staff are going to choose which games they will actually make an effort at winning, then they need to advise the fans so we can decide which games we want to attend because not everyone has the time and money to just throw away.

If you are not going to try and win EVERY game then don't schedule those games you know you won't give 100%. It's not fair to the fans of both schools and taking the paycheck without even trying could be considered stealing.

The Dickey philosophy sucked then and it sucks today. You win recruits not by winning the lowly Sun Belt title, but by proving to recruits that you will play anyone, anywhere and give it all you have to WIN regardless of the odds!

Edited by meangreenbob

Wasn't that one of the biggest gripes against DD, the tail between legs mentality before these games even started??? As for the shot on Vizza, what genius recruited him? Teflon Todd, still scoots by untouched. If a QB like Riley really is the key, why the hell is he not recruiting true dual threat QB's??? They are out there and many of them are being converted into DBs & Wrs; just ask Riley what

UT wanted to convert him to.

Look up Javia Hall at Dallas Skyline, committed to North Texas for 2010. Not to mention, there aren't a lot of 2 time class 5A players of the year out there like a Riley Dodge or Chase Daniel.

"I didn't come here to lose!"

Give them hell every single game! Play every game to win!

RAWR.

here kitty

*Turning off the sarcasm tag: I would love to here from some of our player alumni on their take in this debate.

Do you play every game to win, or is there a point where you look at the odds against you, down 21-0 and play your cards in favor of the Sun Belt part of the schedule?

I have been an ardent and steady supporter of this Athletic Department and this Coaching Staff. What I have to say in no way diminishes the incredible accomplishments made by this AD or Coaching Staff and in no way is it an indictment on our future success. I believe we have the right people in place.

BUT! I listen to what people say and I believe them. RV stood on the stage at the 2007 Kickoff/Cookout and proclaimed that never again would we go into someone elses house and play for just a paycheck! I heard it with my own ears and the loud and enthusiastic applause indicates that the large crowd heard it as well. What did we do on Saturday? Played for a paycheck.

At Coach Dodge's first press conference he said he was an X's and O's man, that he loved X's and O's. Where was the thought out well planned gameplan?

If the AD and Coaching Staff are going to choose which games they will actually make an effort at winning, then they need to advise the fans so we can decide which games we want to attend because not everyone has the time and money to just throw away.

If you are not going to try and win EVERY game then don't schedule those games you know you won't give 100%. It's not fair to the fans of both schools and taking the paycheck without even trying could be considered stealing.

The Dickey philosophy sucked then and it sucks today. You win recruits not by winning the lowly Sun Belt title, but by proving to recruits that you will play anyone, anywhere and give it all you have to WIN regardless of the odds!

Excellent post! Personally, if I new for an absolute fact that our AD and Coach did not give 100% effort in winning a football game, for four quarters, regardless the competition, I would drop all support for the program. That's not the way the Boise States of the world rose to where they are today. That's not the way even the MUTS and the Troy's of the world have gained respect.

No sir, you play to win. Period. And if we are that desparate for funding by playing a money game with no effort to win it, then I'll probably start a new thread on dropping to D1AA.

I agree with some of your post and disagree with some of it. The part I disagree with is regarding how TD gameplanned this game. I think a dose of realism is needed in this instance, something I think you and a few others are overlooking.

1. Our starting QB, who is a redshirt freshman, was out and replaced by a former walk-on that has earned his scholarship starting his first game against a team that could compete for the national championship.

2. Our most athletic OL was out, althought the OL didn't play too poorly.

3. One of our starting DT's was out.

4. We had a broken team last year and this is the first year, realistically speaking, of the turn around. Getting beat by 46 by Alabama would have been double that last year.

Just be realistic in your expectations. Yes, I want us to go into every game with the mentality that we are going to win, but we just aren't there yet. Another year or two and this becomes more realistic, but then again, we will never compete against Bama, their 100,000 fans, unending cash flow, etc.... until we build up our fanbase and start collecting those donations.

Wasn't that one of the biggest gripes against DD, the tail between legs mentality before these games even started???

No, the problem was

1. We didnt compete with the lower tier "big schools.

2. We would have lost to Bama by an even larger score

I'd rather have June Jones

LOL, oh wait, you're serious. The ONLY reason, let me restate that, the ONLY reason they arent 1-2 is because the SFA OC is a complete moron and can not understand the concept of "running the clock"

No, the problem was

1. We didnt compete with the lower tier "big schools.

2. We would have lost to Bama by an even larger score

LOL, oh wait, you're serious. The ONLY reason, let me restate that, the ONLY reason they arent 1-2 is because the SFA OC is a complete moron and can not understand the concept of "running the clock"

Dickey's mantra was always in line with "we're lucky to be on the field with these boys." and he never gave up the margins Todge already has because of the nature of his run-and-"oh shoot" offense.