Mean Green Pursues Long Green For Future

mgsteve

Not a lot folks want to hear or even admit this, but this coaching staff could go a LONG ways in helping to secure donations and such if it was in the Denton spotlight ANY. The previous coaching staff was very out there in terms of going to local businesses, living here, eating out in our establishments and going to chamber deals. This is definately not a comparison of coaching staffs, but when most of your staff doesn't even live in the town they work, they are not seen around town much.

I agree that it would be nice if more of the coaches lived in Denton...but when some here are even calling for Coach Dodge to "win now or leave" why would coaches sell homes and move anywhere? The coaching profession is very "unsecure" as everyone here knows, so I understand why some are a bit "uneasy" with the move thing. Maybe in a couple of years when the support is there to a greater level.

On another note...Coach Dodge has been very visable in the Denton area. You cannot name a civic club that he has not spoken to and visited with. many on more than one occasion. He has a radio show every week in denton iopen to the public he visits schools, etc., etc. Sure he would be seen more if he lived here, but the guy does a very nice job of getting around the community. During the season is not the time to spend tons of time making speaches to clubs around town...it is time to work on gameplans, etc., etc. He is VERY visable around town in the off-season.

I will agree that I have not encountered many of the assistants in town...but maybe that is by design...I don't know about that. But, to say Coach Dodge is "not around" is really not correct...at least not from my perspective. Maybe I just run into him alot, but I don't think that's the case.

Not a lot folks want to hear or even admit this, but this coaching staff could go a LONG ways in helping to secure donations and such if it was in the Denton spotlight ANY. The previous coaching staff was very out there in terms of going to local businesses, living here, eating out in our establishments and going to chamber deals. This is definately not a comparison of coaching staffs, but when most of your staff doesn't even live in the town they work, they are not seen around town much.

99....I have thought about this as well, and have gone back and forth. I thought that when Dodge was hired, he would move to Denton. However, one of his reasons for taking this job was so his daughter could finish school at Southlake. Even our chancellor, Lee Jackson, lives in Dallas (which i do not like either). Though Dr. B is at a lot of athletic functions, you don't see her around town much. Jeter Nolan is the last UNT president that I remember that you would see a lot outside of UNT events. That was in the before Hurley, and I am sure the demands of the job have changed since then. I remember a time when many of the professors lived here, but a lot of them commute to Denton now. I used to hear Dickey speak every year at a civic club I attended, and his stump speech never changed. Somebody pointed out to me that we need to look at DFW being our community. The conclusion I have come to is that at least Rick V. lives here, and you do see him around town, and he is the front man for the athletic department. As for a Div. 1 head coach, with the season, recruiting, spring training, planning summer workouts, helping kids get summer jobs, other speaking engagements, and the camps they don't have the time anyway. It is a lot more demanding job at this level, even at smaller schools like ours, than it was 10 or 20 years ago When Dodge first came here, he did make the rounds. I attended a luncheon in the spring of 2007 at the Prairie House on 380 that was hosted by the Aubrey Chamber of Commerce that Coach Dodge spoke at and it was packed. I see your point, but with the demands of their jobs, I just do not think a Div. 1 college football coach has the time to be as visible in the local community as we would like.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but this part of the article bothered me.

"Built in 1952, current stadium Fouts Field was named after former coach Theron J. Fouts, who was 23-14-2 in five seasons in the 1920s. Coach Jack Sisco was 74-37-10 from 1929 to ’41."

This looks as if the stadium was named in honor of Fouts for no good reason, and that Jack Sisco would have been a better choice. However, if this reporter had done some homework on the name of the field, he would have found this.....

"The stadium opened in September 1952 originally named Eagle Stadium. In 1954 it was named in honor of Theron J. Fouts, former football coach, athletics director and founder of UNT's track and field program.Theron J. Fouts, served as head coach at the University of North Texas from 1920-1924. Fouts amassed a 23-14-2 record. He also started the school’s track and field program and initiated the drive to build the 20,000-seat Eagle Stadium on campus. The venue was named Fouts Field in his honor (after he died)."

I hate lazy reporting.....especially about my school.

If they hold off until 2012 then there will be a near riot since the stadium started for 2010, then 2011, and now 2012!!!

No, there will only be a riot if a stadium doesn't happen. I do feel for kids who thought they'd be playing in it, and will not because their eligibility ends first. For example, Vizza won't get to play in it, unless things really were to move along unexpectedly fast.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but this part of the article bothered me.

"Built in 1952, current stadium Fouts Field was named after former coach Theron J. Fouts, who was 23-14-2 in five seasons in the 1920s. Coach Jack Sisco was 74-37-10 from 1929 to ’41."

This looks as if the stadium was named in honor of Fouts for no good reason, and that Jack Sisco would have been a better choice. However, if this reporter had done some homework on the name of the field, he would have found this.....

"The stadium opened in September 1952 originally named Eagle Stadium. In 1954 it was named in honor of Theron J. Fouts, former football coach, athletics director and founder of UNT's track and field program.Theron J. Fouts, served as head coach at the University of North Texas from 1920-1924. Fouts amassed a 23-14-2 record. He also started the school’s track and field program and initiated the drive to build the 20,000-seat Eagle Stadium on campus. The venue was named Fouts Field in his honor (after he died)."

I hate lazy reporting.....especially about my school.

THANK YOU!

Rick

Thanks. It just goes to show that you can learn something new every day! I had never heard that phrase for money before. I though he was missing a punctuation mark or something, but I couldn't make that work either. :P

Keith

How long until flyeater stops by to defend Phillips? Anyone want to set the over/under?

Of course, exceptions can be made if you can complete the daunting Feats of Strength. Only then will you be ready for the Airing of Grievances.

I can't believe Festivus is almost here!!!

Its Festivus for the rest of us!

They could easily break ground by February and project of this size would take less then a year and half. SO theoretically it is possible to be ready by 2010, but I have to wonder what the delay would be and why mid 2011 season 3 full years is pretty crazy.

Long-Green = money

Thanks. It just goes to show that you can learn something new every day! I had never heard that phrase for money before. I though he was missing a punctuation mark or something, but I couldn't make that work either. :P

Keith

That is funny.... every once in a while I hear some odd phrase or term that I must have heard for years and it never registered. Then I learn the meaning and almost always I will hear it several times in the next few days or weeks. It is odd what we don't know sometimes. "Long Green" or "green" is a very common expression.. at least to me.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

If you don't have access to the VIP board, I believe you can PM one of the admins and they can hook you up.

For me, it just seemed to appear one day out of the blue, like a Messiah born in a manger stall...it was magical.

(Props to whoever added me a while back!!!)

I've thought about asking for said access a couple of times, but what if I'm not deserving? I'm not good at handling disappointment.