Mean Green Pursues Long Green For Future

mgsteve

99....I have thought about this as well, and have gone back and forth. I thought that when Dodge was hired, he would move to Denton. However, one of his reasons for taking this job was so his daughter could finish school at Southlake. Even our chancellor, Lee Jackson, lives in Dallas (which i do not like either). Though Dr. B is at a lot of athletic functions, you don't see her around town much. Jeter Nolan is the last UNT president that I remember that you would see a lot outside of UNT events. That was in the before Hurley, and I am sure the demands of the job have changed since then. I remember a time when many of the professors lived here, but a lot of them commute to Denton now. I used to hear Dickey speak every year at a civic club I attended, and his stump speech never changed. Somebody pointed out to me that we need to look at DFW being our community. The conclusion I have come to is that at least Rick V. lives here, and you do see him around town, and he is the front man for the athletic department. As for a Div. 1 head coach, with the season, recruiting, spring training, planning summer workouts, helping kids get summer jobs, other speaking engagements, and the camps they don't have the time anyway. It is a lot more demanding job at this level, even at smaller schools like ours, than it was 10 or 20 years ago When Dodge first came here, he did make the rounds. I attended a luncheon in the spring of 2007 at the Prairie House on 380 that was hosted by the Aubrey Chamber of Commerce that Coach Dodge spoke at and it was packed. I see your point, but with the demands of their jobs, I just do not think a Div. 1 college football coach has the time to be as visible in the local community as we would like.

Fair enough. My comments were actually from current business owners who are in the chamber.