Beer Question. Which Brand To Drink At Tailgating?

ADLER

With the July sale of Anheuser-Busch to the Belgians, the Budweiser and Michelob products join Miller and Coors as being foreign owned brewers.

Anheuser-Busch sold to Belgian company

Yes, I am well aware that during the last decade many American Businesses have been sold to foriegn ventures.

bush_whatmeworry.jpg

But I refuse to voluntarily support any country that practices economic warfare against the United States if I can possibly avoid it.

The Shiner products are Texas brewed at the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner, Texas and owned by the Gambrinus Company in San Antonio, but unlike the foreign owned brewers, Shiner doesn't sponsor North Texas football.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lone Star

Nope.

Per Wikipedia: Lone Star is owned by Pabst. Production of Lone Star is currently contracted out to non-Pabst owned breweries (e.g. Miller Brewing Company in Fort Worth).

The InBev purchase of Anheuser-Busch in July 2008 prompted Pabst to claim to be the largest American-owned brewer. In fact, it is a "virtual brewer," a marketing company whose 85 brands are brewed by either Miller (South African owned) or Lion (Indian owned).

I'm not sure what you're asking for. Bud (who sponsors NT Football) is foreign owned, and Shiner doesn't sponsor North Texas football......nor does anyone else. Are you asking for suggestions for a new sponsor?

Everyone who knows me, knows that my favorite brewery is Sierra Blanca in Moriarity NM.

http://www.sierrablancabrewery.com/

They do custom brews for people/organizatons so it wouldn't be too much trouble for them to brew up some kegs of Mean Green ale or lager. I'm sure John Denver could come up with a good formula/recipe.......or they could just re-label the Alien Ale. :rolleyes:

Edited by SilverEagle

Another.

Humperdink's chain of DFW restaurants has a micro brewery.

I ate at the Humperdink's in Arlington before a Rangers game last Tuesday. I can't remember which one of their brews I tried, but suffice to say it was followed by a Shiner.

I will however say that my buddy enjoyed the one he tried enough to pound four of them before the game.

Edited by Green P1

Any suggestions?

Fort Worth's Own Rahr Brewery

"Rahr's initial brewing capacity in 2004 was 1,800 barrels per year. Since then, Rahr has undergone two production expansions. In 2008 the brewery completed its last expansion to 5,000 barrel per year capacity. Most of Rahr's production is sold in the North Texas area (Dallas – Fort Worth - Denton). We also have limited distribution in the Austin, Houston, and San Antonio."

Edited by LongJim

Brew your own

Just finished a wheat beer in time for Tulsa and got a Pilsner working that will be ready right before rice

In all honesty though Rahr and St Arnold are the best

St. Arnold loves the little guy. They actually sponsored GMG pseudo sister site CoogFans organized tailgate last year

Why again cant we get something like that going

I really like the Saint Arnold brew as well.

My new favorite brew is Full Sail. It's not a Texas beer, but the brewery is owned by it's employees and the beverage is quite tasty.

I also recommend brewing your own beer. With a little time and patience and initial small investment you can create a beer suitable to your tastes. Regrettably, it's been too hot for me to fire up the stove for an afternoon of brewing, but that's about to change. :)

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Folks, they may be "foreign owned" but Miller Beer does a great bit of sponsoring of UNT events, not only athletic but academic and alumni as well. Miller od Denton was every bit willing to help the Exes out with their events as the Exes were UNT! Miller of Denton should not be "boycotted" due to some misplaced "buy American" loyalty. I am all for "but American" and do all I can to support the concept, but you do need to use the brain along with your heart at times and think it through. Choose whatever beer you like, that is certainly fine with me, but let's not forget who is actually stepping up to help out UNT.

I think we should support those firms and products that support UNT. But, then...that's just me. Adler, look around your home and office....got any foregin made products? Anything from China...liike say something from Nike perhaps? Hmmmmmm...just wondering.

GO MEAN GREEN, BUY SEASON TICKETS, JOIN THE EXES/ALUMNI, JOIN THE MEAN GREEN CLUB. See yoou at Fouts.

Folks, they may be "foreign owned" but Miller Beer does a great bit of sponsoring of UNT events, not only athletic but academic and alumni as well. Miller od Denton was every bit willing to help the Exes out with their events as the Exes were UNT! Miller of Denton should not be "boycotted" due to some misplaced "buy American" loyalty. I am all for "but American" and do all I can to support the concept, but you do need to use the brain along with your heart at times and think it through. Choose whatever beer you like, that is certainly fine with me, but let's not forget who is actually stepping up to help out UNT.

I think we should support those firms and products that support UNT. But, then...that's just me. Adler, look around your home and office....got any foregin made products? Anything from China...liike say something from Nike perhaps? Hmmmmmm...just wondering.

GO MEAN GREEN, BUY SEASON TICKETS, JOIN THE EXES/ALUMNI, JOIN THE MEAN GREEN CLUB. See yoou at Fouts.

How long before the foreign owned inbev pull support of needles expenditures?

In case you didn't know it...Inbev bought Bud, not Miller. Miller of Denton continues to support UNT AFTER its ownership change. Drink what you darn well want at the tailgate events, just show up for the games and actually get into Fouts BEFORE the kickoff (of the first half)!

Me, I'll support those with my purchases who actually support UNT...foreign or domestic owned. Miller of denton pays some nice taxes and employs a bumch of good folks right herer in Denton. That's local enough for me...in this case!

In case you didn't know it...Inbev bought Bud, not Miller. Miller of Denton continues to support UNT AFTER its ownership change. Drink what you darn well want at the tailgate events, just show up for the games and actually get into Fouts BEFORE the kickoff (of the first half)!

Me, I'll support those with my purchases who actually support UNT...foreign or domestic owned. Miller of denton pays some nice taxes and employs a bumch of good folks right herer in Denton. That's local enough for me...in this case!

So it is OK for me to drink ice cold Miller Lite, I was getting worried :shifty:

I really like the Saint Arnold brew as well.

My new favorite brew is Full Sail. It's not a Texas beer, but the brewery is owned by it's employees and the beverage is quite tasty.

I also recommend brewing your own beer. With a little time and patience and initial small investment you can create a beer suitable to your tastes. Regrettably, it's been too hot for me to fire up the stove for an afternoon of brewing, but that's about to change. :)

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe we should get together and brew something for tailgating? official GMG brew

big fan of full sail

Actually Siegels put on a microbrew tasting this weekend. 3 breweries I am hge fans of were there

Boulevard, Real Ale and Widmer

On another note, a small microbrew has started in Mckinney, Franconia. Pretty good. I know the Pourhouse has had discussions about getting it on tap. Right now its keg only

We should really explore a sponsor ship with some of these microbrews to be the official beer supplier of the GMG tailgate. The we could charge like $3-$5 a head. They provide beer we provide food win win

I'll volunteer my smoker and time

Guest GrayEagleOne

I buy into what Kram says about "Buy American" but there is virtually nothing that you can buy these days that is 100% American. The ownership of the manufacturer may be American but they often rely on foreign materials for raw or semi-finished products.

When I drink a Bud in the DFW area I like to think that I am supporting Ben E. Keigh Distributing Company, who has been extremely generous to UNT. Unless and until Inverb pulls the plug on Keith I will continue to drink Bud Light unashamedly.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

The Ginger Man in Dallas has a great monthly Beer Tasting. been there, it is great fun, and you get to try some reallty great beers and ales.

By the way, if you like beer, you might want to try what my wife and I are doing for vacation next September...we are going on a BEER TOUR to Prague, bamburg and Munich. While in Munich we will be attending Oktoberfest! How's that for getting with the beer thing??? Should be great fun. We are signing on with a tour (small group) that handles beer tours around the world. If we like this one, we'll try more I am sure. I am a lucky fella as my wife loves beer as much as I do.

Miller of Denton and Ben E. Keith have been and still are big supporters of UNT. It would be really a misguided approach to not support them just due to their ownership. Neither the owners of Miller of Denton or Ben E. Keith have much to say or do about who owns the stock in the "mother ship". If you don't like Bud or Miller, both distribute several other labels.

Memo to self - buy Miller to support our distributors and for the AFTER tailgate!

Memo to self - make green and white tecate sign for the MG Village fence because that is what I will be walking around drinking with lime salt and lime wedges in tow:)

Two Randoms:

1. We need a more organized POST football game tailgate! My friends and I hang out and drink after the spot - is there anything better than a cold one on a hoarse throat after all the yelling!

2. Was in Reno this weekend and couldn't help but feel like the Nevada campus had a North Texas feel to it. Even the town was semi-college but not so much - kind of like Denton. Overall nice campus, stadium with a track - however, they get Texas Tech at home the weekend we beat up on Tulsa!

GMG