WR - Dibrell

WR - Fitz (slot)

WR - Fentriss (slot)

LT - Menard

LG - Hollivay

C - Drake

RG - Santiago

RT - Jenkins

The only thing that scares me is that JUCO OL worry me ever since that JUCO OL we got that was to be a mauler...Travis something...he didn't even stay long enough for regular season competition. Then throw in the fact that we really haven't had much luck with JUCO's lately...the last one being Weathers. I am probably glaringly overlooking someone that I will smack myself for later, but please point that person out if you can.

Any changes to this lineup???

Sorry for stating the obvious, but...

we have the makings (on paper) of an effective O-Line. Our success in the OOC schedule will depend on how quickly they come together as a unit, i.e., how quickly the JUCOs are assimilated. If these guys can learn to play together in August, we'll be in excellent shape in Manhattan IMO. I remember some past seasons under the previous regime when the O-Line was populated with several new faces and the results were unpleasant for several games.

Guest GrayEagleOne

QB - Vizza

RB - Mosley

WR - Roberson

WR - Dibrell

WR - Fitz (slot)

WR - Fentriss (slot)

LT - Menard

LG - Hollivay

C - Drake

RG - Santiago

RT - Jenkins

The only thing that scares me is that JUCO OL worry me ever since that JUCO OL we got that was to be a mauler...Travis something...he didn't even stay long enough for regular season competition. Then throw in the fact that we really haven't had much luck with JUCO's lately...the last one being Weathers. I am probably glaringly overlooking someone that I will smack myself for later, but please point that person out if you can.

I like the lineup except that it's going to be very difficult to uproot a senior, two-year starter who has been the third leading receiver. I think that Brock Stickler keeps his starting job but Roberson and Fentriss will get plenty of playing time.

I like the lineup except that it's going to be very difficult to uproot a senior, two-year starter who has been the third leading receiver. I think that Brock Stickler keeps his starting job but Roberson and Fentriss will get plenty of playing time.

You sat right behind SilverEagle at the Spring Game, right? I was briefly chatting with Bill.

I saw enough of the spring game to believe that it would take an Olympian to keep Roberson off the field. At times, he looked TO-ish to me out there. Someone in the near vacinity quipped - -appropriately - "who is that? Looks like an actual Division 1 athlete to me!" Feel free to disagree, I suppose. I'll also be curious to see how Marcus King plays into the rotation.

I think with Roberson, Casey, Fentriss, and Dibrell...we have nothing to worry about. If the line is protecting our man enough to get these kids (plus Cam/Mosley) the ball....holy mokes I just realized how freakin' good we could be.

Although I agree It's hard to uproot a starter I'm sure Dodge will go with the best available talent to win now and build toward the future if the freshmen are even close I think the nod goes to youth much like it did with Vizza last year.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I'm excited about how the team is looking, but we are still lacking depth in one key area....the line. We are starting to build it but we're not there yet.

No, but we are getting ever so close. Rose and Bailey have started a number of games; Dodge tagged J.J. Johnson and Tomlinson as future starters last year; Feeley had one of the most impressive videos that I've seen; we may have a steal in McMillan; and Gill may be just a few pounds short of being a starter or major contributor. Add to that a couple of unknowns...Kaiser and the walkon from Era (whose name escapes me) and maybe we can consider moving Troy Franklin to defensive tackle where we are thinner.

No, but we are getting ever so close. Rose and Bailey have started a number of games; Dodge tagged J.J. Johnson and Tomlinson as future starters last year; Feeley had one of the most impressive videos that I've seen; we may have a steal in McMillan; and Gill may be just a few pounds short of being a starter or major contributor. Add to that a couple of unknowns...Kaiser and the walkon from Era (whose name escapes me) and maybe we can consider moving Troy Franklin to defensive tackle where we are thinner.

The kid from Era's last name is Fortenberry, supposedly a monster at the 1A level. We'll see if he can translate that to D1 football.

I did my ideal 2 deep for defense...but on offense I think its going to be even more important who's first off the bench...especially on the line.

QB - Giovanni Vizza

Daniel Meager

TB - Cam Montgomery

Micah Mosely

OWR - Brock Sickler

Sam Roberson

OWR - Sam Dibrell

Marcus King

SWR - Casey Fitzgerald

Breece Johnson

SWR - Evan Fintress

Jamel Jackson

OT - Matt Menard

Matt Tomlinson

OG - Gabe Hollivay

Chad Rose

C - Kelvin Drake

J.J. Johsnon

OG - Esteban Santiago

Tyler Bailey

OT- Nate Jenkins

Victor Gill(?)

Speaking of Feeley, I just watched a re-broadcast of the Bayou Bowl the other day, and both Feeley and Royce Hill played in the game. Feeley looked great! He had one false start in the game, but was great at both pass and run blocking. He never allowed his man to sack the QB, and he made room for the RB's all night. Royce showed a lot of speed. He gave up a TD, but other than that his coverage was good. Right now he plays faster then the people around him. When he gets under control and learns DeLoache's system, this kid might be an all time great for us.

QB - Vizza

RB - Mosley

WR - Roberson

WR - Dibrell

WR - Fitz (slot)

WR - Fentriss (slot)

LT - Menard

LG - Hollivay

C - Drake

RG - Santiago

RT - Jenkins

QB - Dodge

Just kidding! :P Sort of... Actually, if he hadn't been injured last year, I think the QB race this year would be even closer than it's going to be....and it's going to be close as it is IMHO. I'm not taking anything away from Vizza because I stand behind him as our starter 100%. I will be watching the THSCA all-star game rather closely this year but it's my hope that Riley redshirts.

Matt Tomlison will be recovering from off season surgery.

I read in DCTF that Tomlinson will not be ready until the

3rd-4th game of the season. My guess is that Troy Franklin

from Celina has a great chance for 2nd team, R-OT behind

Jenkins. Maybe even push for starting OT. Franklin is 6-5,

300+ now. Victor Gill may be light as a OT, but Gill is quick

and strong, plus the coached have stated he is developing

faster than expected. Heck, the OL might even develop

into a stength this year! What about Jacob Kasier, 6-7, 290+

I sure hope Kasier gets some game time this year.

Slot WR, take a look at B.J. Lewis. I look for Lewis to have

a break out year, even as a back up. Played last year,

did play good for a true freshman, 10 catches , 86yds-

the coaches see Lewis has the talent to be a very good

slot WR. The O-WR's and S-WR's are very talented, all

have good speed, all have a year of experience in Dodge

Ball, good size for mis-matches of defensive backs. Best

of all, look at the talent level, even with the 2nd, 3rd team

players! WOW!

QB - Dodge

Just kidding! :P Sort of... Actually, if he hadn't been injured last year, I think the QB race this year would be even closer than it's going to be....and it's going to be close as it is IMHO. I'm not taking anything away from Vizza because I stand behind him as our starter 100%. I will be watching the THSCA all-star game rather closely this year but it's my hope that Riley redshirts.

I don't have it in front of me, but in DCTF Dodge states that Vizza is his quarterback.

I did my ideal 2 deep for defense...but on offense I think its going to be even more important who's first off the bench...especially on the line.

QB - Giovanni Vizza

Daniel Meager

TB - Cam Montgomery

Micah Mosely

OWR - Brock Sickler

Sam Roberson

OWR - Sam Dibrell

Marcus King

SWR - Casey Fitzgerald

Breece Johnson

SWR - Evan Fintress

Jamel Jackson

OT - Matt Menard

Matt Tomlinson

OG - Gabe Hollivay

Chad Rose

C - Kelvin Drake

J.J. Johsnon

OG - Esteban Santiago

Tyler Bailey

OT- Nate Jenkins

Victor Gill(?)

QB Giovanni Vizza

Riley Dodge

RB Cam Montgomery

Micah Mosely

WR Casey Fitzgerald, Sam Dibrell, Brock Strickler and Sam Roberson

BJ Lewis, Breece Johnson, Alex Lott and Evan Fentriss

OT Matt Menard

Troy Franklin

OG Gabe Hollivay

Tyler Bailey

C Kelvin Drake

JJ Johnson

OG Esteban Santiago

Chad Rose

OT Nate Jenkins

Victor Gill

Since Vizza was able to come in and do a good job last year as a true freshman with no prior knowledge of TD's offense then I certainly think Rodge could be a very capable backup although I prefer he would redshirt to get a two year gap between Vizza and Rodge. Cam looks to have more big play explosiveness than Micah. Sam Roberson looked very good in the spring scrimmages and think he will be a star. Lott looked impressive too.

I don't have it in front of me, but in DCTF Dodge states that Vizza is his quarterback.

I don't have this in front of me either ;) , but I seem to recall a similar comment from TD about Meager being the starter last year and he even went as far as to say that he wouldn't have to "look over his shoulder" as he had the previous year. We all know the outcome of that story.

OB Vizza, Meager, Tune

RB Moseley, Montgomery, Dunbar

OR Roberson, Dibrell, Barrett

IR Fentress, Johnson, Walker

IR Fitzgerald, Brigman, Taylor

OR Strickler, Lewis, King

OT Menard, Tomlison, Kaiser

OG Santiago, Hollovay, Glass

C Drake, Johnson, Leppo

OG Bailey, Rose, Freely

OT Jenkins, Gill, Frankin

Obviously, Dodge could be the number two or even the number one QB if he does not redshirt. I think the number 1 and 2 receivers based on receptions are going to be Fitzgerald and Fentress. Strickler is the best blocking receiver and I believe he will start. Picking between Roberson, Johnson and Dibrell for the last starting receiver position is going to be close. Dibrell has a special connection with Vizza and started at the end of last year. Roberson is probable the most physically gifted of all the receivers. Johnson before being injured last year was labeled as one of the best wrs on the team but is probably more suited to the slot and I don't think he can beat out Fentress.

Offensive line with 5 returning starters plus a lot of incoming talent is going to be very competitive. Only Drake at center and if the hype is anywhere close, Jenkins are sure starters. Look for real competition between returning starters Bailey, Santiago, and Menard with Rose who started both his freshman and sophomore year at center, Gill who is much bigger than most seem to realize, redshirt Tomlison and Juco Hollovay. Running back will be a rotation between Moseley and Montgomery with who starts not being important.

I don't have this in front of me either ;) , but I seem to recall a similar comment from TD about Meager being the starter last year and he even went as far as to say that he wouldn't have to "look over his shoulder" as he had the previous year. We all know the outcome of that story.

I anticipated this reply, and all I can say is that Vizza has performed in this offense and performed in a similar offense in high school. Meager didn't have the track record that Vizza has.

Also, Vizza has demonstrated incredible poise and leadership considering he is only a sophmore.

Ay quarterback I hope it's Giovanni Vizza backed up by Daniel Meager. Vizza is clearly the starter but Meager provides a seasoned reserve with senior leadership. Riley is being groomed to inherit the reigns from Giovanni and it would be unfortunate to burn his redshirt year and lose his 2012 year of eligibility. Please remember that Riley has recently had shoulder surgery.

On the line, I would like to see Troy Franklin take a redshirt year and Matt Tomlinson to sit out the season as a medical redshirt. Sure both of them could provide depth this season, but with an additional year putting NFL type muscle mass onto those large frames, those players could become a set of bookend tackles that would be capable of starting the 2009-2012 seasons. That's too much potential to simply waste on reserve roles this season.

I am not trying to jinx Giovanni but after watching him play, I don't see him getting injured. He's too damn tough! I would hope that the coaches are able to convey to him the importance of not putting his shoulder down so darn much though. He reminds me a lot of Scott Hall from a toughness perspective. I think that if at all possible you redshirt Riley for the future.

I anticipated this reply, and all I can say is that Vizza has performed in this offense and performed in a similar offense in high school. Meager didn't have the track record that Vizza has.

Also, Vizza has demonstrated incredible poise and leadership considering he is only a sophmore.

Hmmm...well, one could say that Riley has been performing in this offense since birth. When it comes to knowledge of the offense I think Riley's knowledge base is vastly superior to everyone but Todd Dodge himself.

It's not my intention to start anything even slightly resembling a QB controversy so I'll cease commentary on this subject now (it'll surface soon enough without my help). Vizza is the man until we hear otherwise.

Hmmm...well, one could say that Riley has been performing in this offense since birth. When it comes to knowledge of the offense I think Riley's knowledge base is vastly superior to everyone but Todd Dodge himself.

It's not my intention to start anything even slightly resembling a QB controversy so I'll cease commentary on this subject now (it'll surface soon enough without my help). Vizza is the man until we hear otherwise.

Just for comparison purposes, what did Mizzou do with Chase Daniel? Did he not redshirt his initial freshman year? He's not all that different, size-wise, than Riley and has bulked up a ton since his HS days. I would love to see Riley redshirt, but I seriously doubt that he's going to do anything less than take the starting spot once he's turned loose by the coaching staff---no knock on Vizza (who also reminds me of Scott Hall, one of our all-time greats, as someone else mentioned already), but Riley wasn't rated the #6 QB in the nation for nothing. I'd love to see a 2 year cushion, like many here are calling for....but I think he redshirts, then starts pretty soon into his RSFresh season.

Edited by TIgreen01