June Jones Resigning At Hawaii

SUMG

Nice find SUMG. The ponyboard thinks this is a done deal too. It's going to be boring for me now. I have gained a great deal of intertainment spending time on the ponyboard and watching them squirm. I'm happy to see metroplex football get a hot in the arm. We have the making of a pretty good football nucleus here in the metroplex. I guess I'm happy for $MUT. Now, just sign up with us for a good long term agreement to play. DallasGreen step away from the computer and don't share your negative thoughts :D Love ya man!

Untermann said he believes Jones wants three things to remain at UH: a $25 million commitment to facility improvement, a promise of effective leadership and more loyalty from the fan base.

What do you figure that last part there means? I watched all of their televised games and they seemed to have a pretty good crowd that was rowdy and into the game each time. Maybe their season ticket sales are low? DD always verballed displeasure about this as well, which, coming from him confused me even more about the guy?

Rick

I just think that this is so bad for NT.

Why? SMU is way far behind in recruiting. What recruits SMU does have verbals from have bailed to other programs or might be taking a wait and see approach to see who gets hired. Since no coach has been hired, there is no staff, and it'll take a couple days (weeks?) to get one assembled. National Signing Day is a little over a month away.

I still can't wrap my brain around JJ wanting to go to SMU. Yes, he'll get paid more, but other then that, he is making a lateral move at best. It'll be interesting to see if he succeeds or not. If there is one thing I have learned is that you shouldn't expect instant success when hiring a new coach who has an entirely new offensive philosophy then the previous coach. I hope SMU isn't expecting the world of JJ based solely on his name and what he has done at his previous job.

What do you figure that last part there means? I watched all of their televised games and they seemed to have a pretty good crowd that was rowdy and into the game each time. Maybe their season ticket sales are low? DD always verballed displeasure about this as well, which, coming from him confused me even more about the guy?

Rick

"...and more loyalty from the fan base." I saw Hawaii had 50,000 for the Boise game. Just wait until he finds only 13,000 at a SMUt game (and 7,000 are opponent fans!). He's only looking at the $$ and doesn't realize what real lack of fan support is.

I think if we can get a yearly match-up with SMU, Jones will keep SMU competitive and our wins over the ponies will be that much sweeter. Plus it will help to make a stronger college sports culture in the DFW area.

At least that is my hope!

I still can't wrap my brain around JJ wanting to go to SMU. Yes, he'll get paid more, but other then that, he is making a lateral move at best.

It's the timezone. Hawaii's a crazy place to have a college football team. No matter how good they were, most of the country (and all of the media) slept through it.

He's doomed at SMU, though. He'll wish they were playing their games in the middle of the night.

I just think that this is so bad for NT.

I agree. I think this hurts NT tremendously. With the spread now coming to SMU why would players want to come to NT? JJ has shown that he can recruit, even in HI, he has shown that he can get his WAC team ranked and even to a BCS bowl appearance, he has shown that he can groom his players to be talked about for the Heisman.

SMU is in a better conference, in the heart of a Dallas, has better facilities and more $$$ than NT. I think this will easily hurt our program and quite possibly TCU as well.

I think bringing the spread in will dramatically increase the attendance at their games.

I think our days of contending with SMU are over.

WOE UNTO YOU, wearers of Kelly Green!

Give me a break. June Jones is not going to improve SMU that much. I think it is a bad move for JJ, and by this time next year we'll be talking about how he probably wishes he was back at Hawaii.

I would have to agree that SMUt made a great hire if this happens.

I think June Jones and Todd Dodge are the same coach....

Both are creative offensive minds

Both have had success

The biggest differnce is Jones has had college success and Dodge only High School success.

Dodge better get the ball rolling next year on some big wins or some of these high octane spread offensive recruits in the future will look to SMUt rather than UNT.

GO MEAN GREEN

June Jones would be a great hire for SMU (and it's not yet official - his agent told the DMN that there were some NFL teams interested as well) but I don't think he's the second coming. The problems at SMU are deep - much deeper than just the coaching staff. Will this make SMU more competitive - yes. But will a coach which could only go undefeated in the regular season by playing Northern Colorado and Charleston Southern make SMU a power again? No. Dodge, playing Georgia next year would be able to do a better job than a 10-41 result that Jones got (and Georgia let up on them). Good hire for SMU and we need it to work out (A stronger SMU is good for all three teams here) but not a groundbreaking one.

I agree. I think this hurts NT tremendously. With the spread now coming to SMU why would players want to come to NT? JJ has shown that he can recruit, even in HI, he has shown that he can get his WAC team ranked and even to a BCS bowl appearance, he has shown that he can groom his players to be talked about for the Heisman.

SMU is in a better conference, in the heart of a Dallas, has better facilities and more $$$ than NT. I think this will easily hurt our program and quite possibly TCU as well.

I think bringing the spread in will dramatically increase the attendance at their games.

I don't quite agree. We can debate conferences, schools, facilities, location, etc...

Here is what we do know...

The Belt is improving.

NT is a growing public university.

NT has made and will continue to make substantial strides with new facilities. (Yes, I know we still need a stadium.)

Denton & alumni will support NT when the wins come.

PB was a big hire when SMU landed him.

They have great facilities and all the money any program could want, but neither have resulted in winning or have hurt NT moving our program in the right direction.

Perhaps JJ will become SMUs next head coach, but I just don't see how that is bad for us. So what if they have a similar offensive scheme. We pay Dodge and his staff is to recruit players to UNT. When did competition become a bad thing?

Edited by scotty474