Game Observations

NT03

Huge WIN !!!!

1) It's way too early to tell , but Little Man White looks like Nate Robinson did in college. Kid can play & with him on the court the team has a lot more spark

2) Wooden was the $hit 2nite. Compared to the LSU post player transfer we had a few years ago , Johnson ; Wooden is not as fast , quick or strong , but damn he is 100x better than that kid.

3) We will not be as deep as a BIG XII/MAJOR conference opp. are, but those 2 almost singly handily won us the game.

4) If Howerton were even 2 inches shorter , he wouldn't be playing basketball. He works hard out there , but talent wise he just doesn't have it. We are in trouble if one of our front court players go down

5) FT% is improved!!!

6) I hope we had some possible recruits there , great atmosphere

The Pit was the loudest I'd ever heard it , I'm still in my 20s tho , and OSU did bring a good crowd out. Students were great , but I'd still love to see more.

I have the same complaint about Fouts as I do the Pit. Bring the crowd closer to the action. OSU couldn't even see the white acme brick signs the students were trying to wave around during their free throw attempts.

The band FINALLY played something different towards the end of the game!! I guess OSU's fight song , or something was the same as what our band was playing. While being played , the Pokie Nation woke up and sang their little song and drownded out our fans. Our students just watched and whatever kind of response we could muster , was off key and not in harmony

Great WIN , hope this starts a trend of more great crowds at the PIT

BEAT INDIANA STATE !!!

Edited by NT03

Hey man, the students did our job tonight. We packed the student section, never left (except when I had to do musical chairs at halftime), and were loud. We had to coax the geezers to the left of us to stand up.... cause they really didnt until the 2nd half. We're getting there, we need to alumni to show up every game, and bring your kids to cheer with us!!!

By the way, everyone liked the DUI chant right??? I mean, thats what most other colleges do, you gotta get to the opposing team.

Best atmosphere I've seen at the Pit! Thanks for comin out everyone and see you on Saturday!!!

We finally stormed the court!!!

Huge WIN !!!!

1) It's way too early to tell , but Little Man White looks like Nate Robinson did in college. Kid can play & with him on the court the team has a lot more spark

2) Wooden was the $hit 2nite. Compared to the LSU post player transfer we had a few years ago , Johnson ; Wooden is not as fast , quick or strong , but damn he is 100x better than that kid.

3) We were not as deep as a BIG XII team , but those 2 almost singly handily won us the game.

4) If Howerton were even 2 inches shorter , he wouldn't be playing basketball. He works hard out there , but talent wise he just doesn't have it. We are in trouble if one of our frontcourt players go down

5) FT% is improved!!!

6) I hope we had some possible recruits there , great atmosphere

The Pit was the loudest I'd ever heard it , Im still in my 20s tho , and OSU did bring a good crowd out. Students were great , but I'd still love to see more.

I have the same complaint about Fouts as I do the Pit. Bring the crowd closer to the action. OSU couldnt even see the white acme brick signs the students were trying to wave around during their free throw attemptts.

The band FINALLY played something different towards the end of the game!! I guess OSU's fight song , or something was the same as what our band was playing. While being played , the Pokie Nation woke up and sang their little song and drownded out our fans. Our students just watched and whatever kind of response we could muster , was off key and not in harmony

Great WIN , hope this starts a trend of more great crowds at the PIT

BEAT INDIANA STATE !!!

I guess OSU's fight song , or something was the same as what our band was playing. While being played , the Pokie Nation woke up and sang their little song and drownded out our fans.

It sounded like the Gary Glitter "Rock-n-Roll # 2" asswhipping. Every school has their own thing for that song, kudos to the OSU folks for simply taking charge.

Hey man, the students did our job tonight. We packed the student section, never left (except when I had to do musical chairs at halftime), and were loud. We had to coax the geezers to the left of us to stand up.... cause they really didnt until the 2nd half. We're getting there, we need to alumni to show up every game, and bring your kids to cheer with us!!!

By the way, everyone liked the DUI chant right??? I mean, thats what most other colleges do, you gotta get to the opposing team.

Best atmosphere I've seen at the Pit! Thanks for comin out everyone and see you on Saturday!!!

Yes I was proud of the students, I was wandering what the hell ya'll were chanting. I got the D , but couldn't catch the rest. If I asked someone , I would of felt old.

Hopefully with every win , even more students , alumni & casual fans will show up. Maybe by the end of year we can sell out!

Edited by NT03

Genius! I could hear it on the tv and started laughing.

The dui was funny... and it helped when they were at the charity stripe. but, that #5 of theirs is something special.

I am glad they suck at the free throw. if they made more of those it would have made me much much more nervous.

The dui was funny... and it helped when they were at the charity stripe. but, that #5 of theirs is something special.

I am glad they suck at the free throw. if they made more of those it would have made me much much more nervous.

The DUI chant was aimed at #5. He got one earlier this semester

The chant was funny from the students. Imagine what they will hear in Big 12 conference play. Of course I was surrounded by OSU fans so I had to act like... oh those silly students will chant anything. Students, KEEP IT UP! I hope to get some more folks from Denton too supporting the school. I would love to see more alum at the game, but I can understand during a week night it is tough. I live in Keller and left at 6 got home at 10. Not too bad, but I don't have kids to contend with.

We all need to show our support on Saturday at 2.

And that Josh White kid... wow! At the beginning of the game I was like a freshman without height... The OSU guards towered over him, but man, he is a player. Clutch free throws! Great game!

Tonight really reminded me of the old days. UNT absolutely enjoyed a home-court advantage, which was even more impressive for the fact that OSU brought a considerable crowd. UNT definitely had the better of it in the stands. It was a really great crowd, very into to the game from start to finish, and just about everybody was on their feet at one time or another. You could really feel the crowd pumping energy into the team when OSU made their runs. That is a very resilient team Coach Jones has assembled, turning back so many runs from a program that is accustomed to playing big games.

The OSU people were very nice and it was pleasure to see enthusiasm for two teams mix so amiably.

I know its tough to get to Denton on a weeknight, and I-35 was a beating coming up from Dallas. But I wouldn't have missed this for the world. Great job, everybody. Tonight brought back some wonderful memories, and provided some thrilling new ones.

By the way, how much do you think the game with Memphis in the NCAA tournament helped tonight? North Texas got a taste of big-time games and big-time pressure, and they didn't look overwhelmed tonight.

By the way, how much do you think the game with Memphis in the NCAA tournament helped tonight? North Texas got a taste of big-time games and big-time pressure, and they didn't look overwhelmed tonight.

I think the tourney play against Memphis was very helpful tonight. We had a very respectable showing against the Tigers and I can only think that helped the pre game confidence of the returning players.

Observations

Anyone still think that Stewart is not a player?

White was unbelievable, if he keeps this up; Belt freshman of the year should be his

I apologize to Keith Wooden for mentioning on the board I thought he was out of shape, he schooled the OSU posts

Best student crowd since Jimmy Gales teams playing at home in Southland Tournament Championship

Lots and lots of disappointed OSU fans at game

Disappointing crowd in my view excluding turnout by OSU fans and Student sections

Not sure that Denton would support Duke basketball if it was local

Encouraging win especially considering McCoy, Dennis, Bell, and Williams all had sub-par offensive games

Not sure why some chose to slam Howerton, only played 5 minutes got two rebounds and a very nice assist, missed his only shot of game

Basketball doesn't get much better

Observations

Not sure why some chose to slam Howerton, only played 5 minutes got two rebounds and a very nice assist, missed his only shot of game

I really hope he learned his lesson about trying to move and dribble on the perimeter. I would have like to have seen him clog the middle more, even if it meant putting them on the line a little more. His 2 rebounds could have easily been at least 5, but overall he put in some important minutes.

the Pokie Nation woke up and sang their little song and drownded out our fans. Our students just watched and whatever kind of response we could muster , was off key and not in harmony

To whom ever can make it happen? Please?

This is one the very reasons why we have got to get a single, unified chant that has a signalled beginning and an ending. Give the signal, unify the chant and you will stop some of this and make a statement that we are one Mean Green Nation and we are behind our team 100% and it can be done countless times quickly and easily over and over again..

I have asked RV and his staff members about this. I have talked to Jennifer Cloutier about it(cheerleaders/dancers). I have talked to Marketing and to the NT Spirit/Traditions committee and even had a discussion with Dr. Battaille down in New Orleans as well because she too couldn't understand how it was that we had such a great crowd down there and zero ability to unify and make a statement because we are so splintered. It's pitiful that we can't get something like this done? Many other fanbases do it. Why can't we? The "NORTH and TEXAS" chant goes on way too long and the cheerleaders have to drag out those big signs, set up and get it going and by the time it gets going good it's time to stop and it just sort fades off. Last year the traditions committee and AD marketing staff, in conjunction with the band came up with some of what you hear them do with the cheerleaders now. But it's too wordy and doesn't have a good rythm and it takes the band to signal it.

The best I've seen to date, and this includes what Houston did two years ago at the Super Pit and Memphis in the N.O. Bowl before, was to have their cheerleaders visibly roll their pom poms and fists and yell "Ohhhhhhhhh" to get everyone's attention. As soon as enough "Ohhhhhhs" are heard then they all would suddenly stop and as loud as they could, clear and in crisp staccato beat they quickly spelled out "T-I-G-E-R-S-TIGERS! and immediately 10,000 strong drowned out all other noise in the SuperDome. Houston brought up probably 4 to 500 fans to the SuperPit a couple of years back and because they were unified they embarassingly drowned out those in green during that game.

I have proposed something like "GO MEAN GREEN EAGLES FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT". Someone may have something else with a similar 7 beat that sounds even better? Philladelphia does their "E-A-G-L-E-S-EAGLES!!!" so I don't suggest that we copy them but that's the same idea. If you have ever watched a game of theirs you can hear it many times during a game".

If someone could get the students to do this in unified fashion at a basketball game the rest of us will follow, then it can carry over to football and everywhere else.

Anyone?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Rick, I've always thought we could do a chant along the lines of ...

NORTH (side 1)

TEXAS (side 2)

MEAN (side 1)

GREEN (side 2)

repeat 3 times

GO! FIGHT! WIN! (everyone)

I think it be great to even do this after the fight song has been played (without repeating NORTH TEXAS MEAN GREEN 3 times).

Edited by UNTFan23

Here's what I'm talking about. This is their entire song and the chant I'm talking about is at the end. Many, many times a game some kind of signal is given and they just do the "E-A-G-L-E-S-EAGLES!" and it's deafening.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sg5myGKpl9A&feature=related

Here's another one of their fans doing it just by walking through part of the stadium.

Here's the University of Memphis doing their TIGER chant. Sounds like their band's drumline does a certain beat to signal it. In our tournament basketball game against them their cheerleaders did a roll with their hands if I'm recalling correctly.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lYqJ42f3jeA&feature=related

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

The problem with some of the chants that use two sides of an arena is it doesn't travel well, when the crowd is only on one side. Listen to that OSU crowd last night, and they had very unified chants. Arkansas fans travel very well with their OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH Pig-Souie---Razorbacks chant.

Also, some of the suggested chants have too many different words. It's got to be something VERY short, VERY simple, and that can travel. The longer it goes the more it loses impact. It's a very short, very loud sound by everyone that makes an impact, so you lose that when half the crowd is silent through half the chant. I love the J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS! Very short, very simple, and very loud. It sounds good when its 10 or 10,000 people do it.

Maybe something as simple as:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (talons up, cheerleaders/dancers direct the chant, everybody has a chance to join in) MEAN GREEN!

Short enough for everyone to remember, and short enough to be very loud and emphatic. It's hard to be emphatic when the chant is too long or has too many words.

"Welcome to the Pit" worked wonderfully at the Super Pit, but of course it doesn't work for football and doesn't travel.

Edited by Smitty

The problem with some of the chants that use two sides of an arena is it doesn't travel well, when the crowd is only on one side. Listen to that OSU crowd last night, and they had very unified chants. Arkansas fans travel very well with their OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH Pig-Souie---Razorbacks chant.

Also, some of the suggested chants have too many different words. It's got to be something VERY short, VERY simple, and that can travel. The longer it goes the more it loses impact. It's a very short, very loud sound by everyone that makes an impact, so you lose that when half the crowd is silent through half the chant. I love the J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS! Very short, very simple, and very loud. It sounds good when its 10 or 10,000 people do it.

Maybe something as simple as:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (talons up, cheerleaders/dancers direct the chant, everybody has a chance to join in) MEAN GREEN!

Short enough for everyone to remember, and short enough to be very loud and emphatic. It's hard to be emphatic when the chant is too long or has too many words.

"Welcome to the Pit" worked wonderfully at the Super Pit, but of course it doesn't work for football and doesn't travel.

Along with the other Youtube examples I've posted above Smitty, your exactly right on with the 7 beat JETS chant as well. And here's a fine example of fireman Ed leading the way:

And another,

And another

And yet another,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bALnNMsa82Y&feature=related

This is exactly what I've been trying to pull off for 5 years now dating back to the N.O. Bowl when we had the signs printed up and gave to the cheerleaders to no avail. Just a 7 beat chant. Easily signalled and started, quick, easy and over with to do again at any moments need.

Why can't we do this? Why?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick