Letter To The Editor In The D-rc

SUMG

The trap that this letter writer fell into was to accept as gospel Green's account of what happened. If you believe that he was suspended just for saying "we are all from the hood," then a suspension does seem harsh and unjustified. But once you add the background and extra facts that George gave, the picture is very different.

I've seen many posters on this board and others do the same thing: believe the first version of something that they hear and then leap to a hundred conclusions. The problem is, the original underlying version of the facts that led to the opinions was wrong.

If people work harder to get the facts right, and then run all assertions by a partisan in any fight through the logical skepticism filter, their resulting opinions carry a lot more weight. This letter writer failed to do that.

The D-RC prefers letters to the editor, via e-mail....according to the paper's editorial page. But, you can handwrite or type them, as well.

The letters must be 250 words or less.....

E-mail address: drc@dentonrc.com

You can fax a letter to: 940-566-6888

D-RC mailing address:

Letters to the editor

P.O. Box 369

Denton, Texas 76202

The trap that this letter writer fell into was to accept as gospel Green's account of what happened. If you believe that he was suspended just for saying "we are all from the hood," then a suspension does seem harsh and unjustified. But once you add the background and extra facts that George gave, the picture is very different.

I've seen many posters on this board and others do the same thing: believe the first version of something that they hear and then leap to a hundred conclusions. The problem is, the original underlying version of the facts that led to the opinions was wrong.

If people work harder to get the facts right, and then run all assertions by a partisan in any fight through the logical skepticism filter, their resulting opinions carry a lot more weight. This letter writer failed to do that.

Ya, ya, ya... but that would require them to think.

What's that all about?

Sounds like someone just hates the University and basically making uneducated spin-doctoring, lets see Dodge comes out the next day with a denial and that is not fast enough? This letter is just race-baiting pure and simple.

Also I am sure Green was only referring to his old neighborhood in a complementary way by calling it the "hood"

Also love how he fails to mention that Green, Chatman, and Oubre were already working on 2nd chances.

Hate this kind of crap that some people put out into the open.

Donald J. Norman-Cox needs to do a little research about this issue before making a fool out of himself for missing the point. Early in the reporting, the "hood" comment was dismissed as the actual issue. So, on both of his material accounts Mr. Norman-Cox :blowup: missed.

He's not the only one and I fear many people have already made judgement calls before all the information can be assessed. I'm getting "hell" from many friends who are alums from Big 12 universities. They only have about as much info as Mr.Cox on the situation. :(

For those of you in the Denton area, please write a response, but remember, they prefer you be in their circulation area. A couple of years ago, it took an "act of Congress" for them to print a letter I wrote, and I lived in Trophy Club at the time.

My one request, be factual and tactful.

I can only assume that this may be referring to the recent administrative leave of the person formerly in charge of equity and diversity.

Funny I was at the Barbershop on Saturday and I was speaking to a woman that was complaining about this. She was of Mexican descent and she was upset about the amount of minorities being let go at the University. I have no knowledge of the situation, but apparently alot of people share her view (according to her).

He's not the only one and I fear many people have already made judgement calls before all the information can be assessed. I'm getting "hell" from many friends who are alums from Big 12 universities. They only have about as much info as Mr.Cox on the situation. :(

You should have seen my locker at work when I got back from vacation Sunday morning?

You could come up with about 100 different agenda's Mr. Cox obviously has with the unviversity prior to this situatoin occuring. Take your pick. But could one person come across as being any less informed? And the paper knew that and yet still printed it? Strange.

Rick

We are heading into the deep abyss of things not football. Can we get back on track here? This whole situation is getting WAY too much press and comment...Let it die! It is all a bunch of "you know what" from a couple of kids who should have "kept it in house", but, for whatever reason, felt like they should open their traps. Too youg...too inexperienced...too "me, me, me". Give it a rest! :baby:

Donald J. Norman-Cox needs to do a little research about this issue before making a fool out of himself for missing the point. Early in the reporting, the "hood" comment was dismissed as the actual issue. So, on both of his material accounts Mr. Norman-Cox :blowup: missed.

mr. cox sounds as racist as his letter. maybe he was kicked off a team for discipline too and whined about it as something else also?

mr. cox sounds as racist as his letter. maybe he was kicked off a team for discipline too and whined about it as something else also?

Honestly, the letter didn't sound racist at all. He might not have all of the facts, but you have to take in account where he get's his information. The media. You can't blame someone that doesn't know Dodge or either of these young men for thinking negatively about the Universtiy. That's the only information he is exposed to.

We might not like what other people have to say, but was he being racist with his comments? No.

The same goes for people who speak negatively about this young men. Most of us don't know them at all. We can just assume that they are horrible people because they either quit or were kicked off the team for discipline problems. Let's stop judging people until the truth comes out.

Not that it matters one bit, but I support Dodge, everyone who knows him knows what type of person he is. Great Coach, Dad, Family Man, with impecable values.

To me this issue is about perception and who are we to tell someone how they see a situation, even if we see the same situation in a totaly different light (or dark)?

Honestly, the letter didn't sound racist at all. He might not have all of the facts, but you have to take in account where he get's his information. The media. You can't blame someone that doesn't know Dodge or either of these young men for thinking negatively about the Universtiy. That's the only information he is exposed to.

We might not like what other people have to say, but was he being racist with his comments? No.

The same goes for people who speak negatively about this young men. Most of us don't know them at all. We can just assume that they are horrible people because they either quit or were kicked off the team for discipline problems. Let's stop judging people until the truth comes out.

Not that it matters one bit, but I support Dodge, everyone who knows him knows what type of person he is. Great Coach, Dad, Family Man, with impecable values.

To me this issue is about perception and who are we to tell someone how they see a situation, even if we see the same situation in a totaly different light (or dark)?

I agree with you. We would do well to remember that racism is not a matter of fact, it's a matter of perception. What is racist to one may not be racist to another, and to project evil intent upon these young men is presumptuous. Too many people on this board are guilty of just what they are accusing these players of doing - making rash, uninformed, and slanderous accusations.

From what I've seen and heard reported so far, these accusations certainly appear unfounded. But I don't know the players and I don't know the letter writer, and I won't be so arrogant as to say I know what is in their hearts.

Thanks for being consistently "open minded and fair" Ramone!

I personally know Donald Cox and went to school with him (NTSU) in the mid 70's. I agree that it sounds like he is far removed from this situation. (Based on the only things that have been written in the paper) It sounds just like him though, to try to provide clarity. (or another point of view) Cox is a very credible and an intelligent individual who has assisted the university with some of its diversity inititives over the years. This was, and appears to continue to be a passion of his by openly discussing equality and fairness issues when others don't. I last saw and spoke to Cox about 3 years ago in the union building; while visiting with my son. A native of Houston, he has remained in Denton where he calls it home.

Off base on this topic, maybe! Racist, hell no! (Which brings us back to perceptions)

Just to reiterate, I'm not implying Mr. Cox is racist at all. Just that he's extremely uninformed if he's simply going by what was printed in the papers, DRC, NT Daily and FWST. He's either uninformed, or the pony express that delivers his papers travels very slowly where he lives. If by any other source the NT Daily gave the best quick response to the otherside of this issue and calmed some fears. And had he any remaining contacts at the university left he could have easily made one phone call and found out even more as many of us have done. Perhaps he may have a better POV of the situation after possibly watching channel 4's report tonight.

Rick