Has Anyone Seen These Helmets Before?

caliuntfan

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if we'll ever be happy. It seems like everyone has an idea of what it should/shouldn't be and if it isn't exactly like they dream it to be, now's a perfect time to complain. A couple things to think about:

1) Our helmets are going to resemble someone else's no matter what. I can certainly understand that we want to establish our own identity, but lets try not to let it get under our skin. If you look hard enough, you can find anything. (link) I think it just bothers some of you that we might happen to look like Dodge's previous school, SLC. Personally, if we're going to look like anyone, a 79-1 team sounds okay by me. And one I can learn to accept.

2) re: the posters and white helmets. Dodge has mentioned a practical reason for having white helmets. Put that together with these posters that are going around with quotes/plans and I think they're more a part of Dodge's "football plan" that he has figured out. If this is part of Dodge's plan (i.e., not SLC's) that will bring us the right attitude and winning tradition, I'm all for that too.

"It's not a high school plan. It's not a college plan. It's a football plan."

Edited by greenminer

yeah, and the face mask is a different color. and the logo on the side looks nothing like the North Texas writing.

But other than that, it's an exact copy. :rolleyes: Nevermind the fact that we havent even seen what the full uni's look like...

Hey I like the helmet but at first glance it looks to be an exact layout copy of SLC's helmet other than the logo, as I said before, especially if "Hit" stickers are to be also used, which I imagine they will be? Reversing the stripes and changing the mask isn't enough to differentiate the two, but I'll keep that in mind in defending it when the teasing hits at work.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Gee, I hope the team's shoes and purses match the helmet or this whole board will be in a tizzy.

I personally like the helmet... but it is just a helmet. When was the last time a helmet took a team to a bowl game. As long as they play with pride, and play to win, I really don't care what they're wearing. The season cant get here soon enough... <_<

1) Our helmets are going to resemble someone else's no matter what. I can certainly understand that we want to establish our own identity, but lets try not to let it get under our skin. If you look hard enough, you can find anything. (link)

If the day ever comes that a high school team copy's North Texas' logo on their helmet then we might could say we have arrived. However, you gotta display a helmet logo first in order for that to happen?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I swear...you people will bitch about anything.

Right or wrong, we have no recognizable traditional identity as far as uniforms go...the closest thing to we have to it is the Flying Worm and, let's face it, the Worm is not coming back. We have no recognizable identity because, with the exception of some winning in the days of the Worm and the recent SunBelt successes (in a uniform that, no matter how good it looked, every single one of you will have to admit was an interim placemarker-type of uni), we haven't won a damn thing in a uniform to make it any kind of tradition. Things don't become traditions until you win something while doing them.

The moment we start winning wearing white helmets, every one of you bitching about it now will turn around and praise the person who made the decision of choosing white helmets as the second coming of Lombardi.

Seriously, we need some kind of athletics to start very soon...I'm starting to absolutely loathe alot of you.

Edited by JayDub

Hey I like the helmet but at first glance it looks to be an exact layout copy of SLC's helmet other than the logo, as I said before, especially if "Hit" stickers are to be also used, which I imagine they will be? Reversing the stripes and changing the mask isn't enough to differentiate the two, but I'll keep that in mind in defending it when the teasing hits at work.

Rick

Oh Im not saying there arent similarities- there certainly are. I just have a feeling the rest of the college football world will view it as a classic look like that of Auburn's rather than some HS in the DFW area. We cant do anything about the fact that our colors are the same.

Like I said in my first post, I'd expect some teasing in the short run but if we stick with it for the long-term, we'll end up being the ones that are nationally known for our unis.

And I hope the "hit" stickers aren't used. I think they are too busy and make helmets look bush league (save Ohio State).

Gee, I hope the team's shoes and purses match the helmet or this whole board will be in a tizzy.

I personally like the helmet... but it is just a helmet. When was the last time a helmet took a team to a bowl game. As long as they play with pride, and play to win, I really don't care what they're wearing. The season cant get here soon enough... <_<

I also really like the white helmet for some reason. Maybe I just got tired of solid green and what that symbolizes to me as far as our annual bottom quadrant co-existance in the 119 member NCAA D1-A most of the last 2 1/2 decades (including a little purgatory time in 1-AA). :thumbdown: AND............haven't we all seen some video of our own Mean Joe Greene chasing after QB's with Joe proudly wearing a white helmet with NT on it)?

When Coach Todd Dodge & Assistants get this football program in a bowl game as a Top 25 team we will all revere this white helmet like none other before it.

And yes, there are some similarities to this Mean Green uni' compared to SLC's uni' except for one major thing: SLC does not have this on their, uh, helmi' :rolleyes: :

NORTH TEXAS

(The Future 2'nd Largest University in the Lone Star State & in Texas.........That Means You Have One Helluva' Big School)!

* 2 Posts Away From 9K... :rolleyes:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Maybe we could have little SOW stickers instead of stars :)

Better yet ...NO STICKERS.... we aren't a high school or elementary school where kids get stickers for brushing their teeth etc.

---- Stickers will make us look high school. Does any I-A college in Texas use them..??.. I don't think so. You win as a team and lose as a team and these "good-go buddy" stickers make the players look different, that I oppose.. I don't think little stickers made Joe Green do what he needed to do nor anyone else. If I were a player I would just stick them on my locker.

---- In fact stickers would make us look more like SLC.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I don't think stickers are high school-ish. Is it bad that I can name more college teams with them as opposed to high school? I guess I just don't know high schools very well outside EP.

Comparing them to elementary school rewards or using Joe Green era's success without them isn't going to get this argument settled. I personally don't care, but if it happens would like to see the use of the SOW or a talon to replace the star sticker...something that will make it UNT.

--- I can see them used if they were awarded to every team member that suited up or played, after every victory and even if they allowed them to carry over individually year after year but not any other way. Not for individiual achievements, so much of everyone success depends on what those around them do... teams win together or lose together... they are not really about individual glory..

--- I can see them used if they were awarded to every team member that suited up or played, after every victory and even if they allowed them to carry over individually year after year but not any other way. Not for individiual achievements, so much of everyone success depends on what those around them do... teams win together or lose together... they are not really about individual glory..

Did you ever play? These are given for both individual and team acheivements.

I personally don't care, but if it happens would like to see the use of the SOW or a talon to replace the star sticker...something that will make it UNT.

I'd like to see the 3-d talon used. I rarely see the words-in-talon logo, and the talon by itself has yet to be seen on anything that I can recall since it's debut.

Guys. It is not bullshit that the white helmets help the QB spot the receivers. Green uniforms against a green grass background can make things more difficult for a QB.

Does the helmet color really matter ?. If the white helmet gives us even the slightest advantage, it is a worthy change IMHO.

We can all argue about the logo on the helmets. But, the white helmets do serve a purpose when you are a green team, unless you are playing at Boise State ;)

Edited by akriesman

Guys. It is not bullshit that the white helmets help the QB spot the receivers. Green uniforms against a green grass background can make things more difficult for a QB.

Does the helmet color really matter ?. If the white helmet gives us even the slightest advantage, it is a worthy change IMHO.

We can all argue about the logo on the helmets. But, the white helmets do serve a purpose when you are a green team, unless you are playing at Boise State ;)

I'll buy this thought with night games, but when Hawaii leads the NCAA in passing yardage the green helmet against green grass arguement loses traction.

brennan2_06.jpg

I'd like to see the 3-d talon used. I rarely see the words-in-talon logo, and the talon by itself has yet to be seen on anything that I can recall since it's debut.

3-d talon? would we have to pass out paper red and blue glasses...that could be a tradition

Better yet ...NO STICKERS.... we aren't a high school or elementary school where kids get stickers for brushing their teeth etc.

---- Stickers will make us look high school. Does any I-A college in Texas use them..??.. I don't think so. You win as a team and lose as a team and these "good-go buddy" stickers make the players look different, that I oppose.. I don't think little stickers made Joe Green do what he needed to do nor anyone else. If I were a player I would just stick them on my locker.

---- In fact stickers would make us look more like SLC.

I am total agreement here. I will say it again, we are North Texas, not SLC.